The Student Room Group

Newcastle medicine A100 offer holders thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Yolo_kevin
Same with me! Just gotta wait I guess and fill it out as soon as they send it :smile: lol when I saw condition I was all "what you playing at Newcastle" but then read it and was like "that's fine, I'm pretty sure I'm not a criminal" haha, I just want to get it done early so that hopefully I can get accommodation allocated early!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Newcastle requires that the DBS checks not be done more than 3 months before the course start date, which is September 22nd, meaning that the earliest the date on the DBS form can be is June 22nd. (I believe it's written also in the Track letter.) Even for the Occupational Health Check, the questionnaire won't be sent until May (and the deadline to return isn't until the end of July), which is pretty late to even receive the form.
But if accommodations were to wait for the checks to go through, it feels like they'd be putting themselves in a tight time bind, so I'm guessing that they'll just let us *apply* for accommodations before all that DBS and OHC stuff and then just take their time with the allocations? I'm not sure but I don't think they allocate early just because you apply early, right? You needn't worry. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bagelthins
I think Newcastle requires that the DBS checks not be done more than 3 months before the course start date, which is September 22nd, meaning that the earliest the date on the DBS form can be is June 22nd. (I believe it's written also in the Track letter.) Even for the Occupational Health Check, the questionnaire won't be sent until May (and the deadline to return isn't until the end of July), which is pretty late to even receive the form.
But if accommodations were to wait for the checks to go through, it feels like they'd be putting themselves in a tight time bind, so I'm guessing that they'll just let us *apply* for accommodations before all that DBS and OHC stuff and then just take their time with the allocations? I'm not sure but I don't think they allocate early just because you apply early, right? You needn't worry. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Argh that's frustrating, I thought it was being sent out in April. You can apply before then but they'll assign some of the accommodation in May to people who have unconditional firms so I was hoping I'd get it all done before then so there'd be more chance of getting the one I want but nevermind :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by Yolo_kevin
Same with me! Just gotta wait I guess and fill it out as soon as they send it :smile: lol when I saw condition I was all "what you playing at Newcastle" but then read it and was like "that's fine, I'm pretty sure I'm not a criminal" haha, I just want to get it done early so that hopefully I can get accommodation allocated early!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ditto! When I rang, they said Occupational Health send us forms directly for that and DBS is usually done online. They'll probably send us information regarding that in due course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by lmccormick
what halls are close to the med school? i like the look of castle court but it is on the main campus and google maps is telling me that its a 56min walk to the med school! haha

Castle Court is like 5-10 minutes (4-5 minutes is my record) from the med school. You have to walk through Leazes field, which is common land so farmers put cattle on it during the summer to graze. It isn't like some kind of farming land, there's a lit concrete path and stuff.
Reply 64
Original post by Beska
Castle Court is like 5-10 minutes (4-5 minutes is my record) from the med school. You have to walk through Leazes field, which is common land so farmers put cattle on it during the summer to graze. It isn't like some kind of farming land, there's a lit concrete path and stuff.

Oh great thanks!! Also is castle court close to the city centre as well? I want one thats sort of easy to get to everywhere! lol Or do you have better suggestions?
Reply 65
Oh great thanks!! Also is castle court close to the city centre as well? I want one thats sort of easy to get to everywhere! lol Or do you have better suggestions?

Yeh it's pretty close, easily walkable. Check out to town here and to the med school here. Take 4-5 mins of both times because google assumes you're about 80 years old.
Reply 66
Thanks so so much that's a great help! yeah they always seem to overestimate walking times! lol
Reply 67
So see the way the off-campus accommodation is cheaper? Does it work out roughly the same cost per year as the on campus ones when you add in travelling via public transport to the med school everyday? Or are the on campus ones just much more convenient?
Reply 68
So see the way the off-campus accommodation is cheaper? Does it work out roughly the same cost per year as the on campus ones when you add in travelling via public transport to the med school everyday? Or are the on campus ones just much more convenient?

You talking about the likes of Henderson? I personally wouldn't entertain the idea, but lots of people do and enjoy it. I rather be closer to the med school and not have to get a bus - I used to nip back every lunchtime in first year and cook myself lunch. I think living further away and haven to commute is not something you really want to contend with in first year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
Hello! Any international students out there?
Reply 70
Original post by dylanium
Hello! Any international students out there?

Holla at me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71

Where are you from! Hahaha
Reply 72
what halls are close to the med school? i like the look of castle court but it is on the main campus and google maps is telling me that its a 56min walk to the med school! haha

Closest is Ricky Road - 2-5 mins walk depending on which block you're in.
Marris House is also about 5 mins walk at most.
Castle Leazes/Court is 7-8 for me (Beska, you must walk freakishly fast?!)
Leazes Parade probably about 9-10.
Liberty Plaza (aka Central Link) probably 15ish, and Victoria Halls about 20-25.

Henderson Hall and St Mary's College require bussing/biking/getting up way too early for my liking.

Pretty rough estimates, but you get the idea :smile:

I think you should use the maps on Newcastle's website, they're much more accurate. From what I can see, Castle Court isn't that far away at all but apparently you have to walk through a field with cows to get to the school. :smile:
Perhaps practice some cow-tipping as stress relief on your way back after school? :wink: haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I loved the cows! Sad times when they all mysteriously disappeared one day...

Spoiler

Reply 73
Original post by suncake
Closest is Ricky Road - 2-5 mins walk depending on which block you're in.
Marris House is also about 5 mins walk at most.
Castle Leazes/Court is 7-8 for me (Beska, you must walk freakishly fast?!)
Leazes Parade probably about 9-10.
Liberty Plaza (aka Central Link) probably 15ish, and Victoria Halls about 20-25.

Henderson Hall and St Mary's College require bussing/biking/getting up way too early for my liking.

Pretty rough estimates, but you get the idea :smile:

I loved the cows! Sad times when they all mysteriously disappeared one day...

Spoiler

WAIT. WHAT. ARE THEY GONE FOREVER? EVER? One of the reasons I applied to Court was for the cows!

Serious note: did you get your first choice of accommodation? Do med students usually get their first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
WAIT. WHAT. ARE THEY GONE FOREVER? EVER? One of the reasons I applied to Court was for the cows!

Serious note: did you get your first choice of accommodation? Do med students usually get their first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No no, I presume a new cohort of cows will be arriving soon haha.

I'm not actually in halls - being a local student meant I was bottom of their hall allocation priority list, so I opted for privately-rented. It was a first-come-first-served thing last year, but I don't know if that's changed now. Being a medic is probably irrelevant, unfortunately!
Reply 75
Any one know the resit policy thinking about resitting some of my as modules along with my a2 this summer?
Reply 76
Anyone else coming to the post-offer day this Wednesday?
Original post by Gibber96
Anyone else coming to the post-offer day this Wednesday?

Yep :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by IdeasForLife
Yep :smile:

I'm gonna be in Newcastle from tomorrow night until Wednesday early evening and I badly need ideas of something to do there. I don't know a single person. I'm looking forward to the actual applicant day though.
Reply 79
Same here! I'm going to just wander around and get to know the area a bit, then go explore the Metro Centre :-) Might as well see if I like the city I could be living in for the next 5 years!
Where are you from Gibber96?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending