The Student Room Group

Should I go to Oxford?

Hi guys I'm having a dilemma choosing my university and hope you can give some advice:smile:

I have now shortlisted my choices to oxford and UCL. I'm undecided because
1) oxford seems to be a rather quiet place compared to bustling London. I come from a busy city so I don't know if I can adapt. I also am unable to make a visit to check out the place myself. Is Oxford very isolated with nothing much to do?

2) the stress levels would probably be higher in oxford.

3) most importantly, for internships at London firms, would Oxford students be at a disadvantage due to geographical reasons? Furthermore, is it a hassle to even find accommodation in London for those weeks where you intern there?

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FluorescentCat

1) oxford seems to be a rather quiet place compared to bustling London. I come from a busy city so I don't know if I can adapt. I also am unable to make a visit to check out the place myself. Is Oxford very isolated with nothing much to do?

Oxford is fairly busy but you're right, its not like inner London. However, it should be sufficient for your requirements. Oxford still has a lot to offer and the difference will probably be welcomed by you.

It really depends on your course and how you adapt.

3) most importantly, for internships at London firms, would Oxford students be at a disadvantage due to geographical reasons? Furthermore, is it a hassle to even find accommodation in London for those weeks where you intern there?

Not at all. Its 1 hour away from LP on the train on some routes and that is next to nothing compared to what some people travel. Plus, if you're an Oxford student looking for an internship the likelihood is that the company you wish to intern at will make allowances due to them wanting to draw in the top candidates/soon to be graduates.

I made the choice to go to a rural university and I regret it having grown up in a hustling and bustling city although sometimes when I go back I do miss the quietness of here so it all balances out. Either way, its university and life and you're going to come across stresses and days where you just think 'FFS this is doing my head in' but you'll overcome them.

If you have good friends in London then I'd say stay in London and study as you've got a good support network. If not then I'd say go Oxford and try to make new friends and enjoy yourself. You never know you might meet people there you get on with who could be friends for years to come.
Hi guys I'm having a dilemma choosing my university and hope you can give some advice:smile:

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) I find that Oxford has more than enough things to keep me well occupied. There's an incredible range of activities (sports, arts, drama, volunteering, societies etc) and plenty of interesting things to do (eg guest lectures, punting in summer). In fact, I often find that I don't have enough time to do everything I'd like to.

2) I think it's manageable, and I do feel like I get good support from tutors and friends.

3) No. As far as I can tell, firms generally have a favourable impression of Oxford students. I can only speak for the solicitors, but many of them hold information sessions on campus. In fact, some of them send recruiters to conduct the interviews in Oxford rather than have students go down to London.
Another thing to add in to the internship point, if you're doing a summer internship in London then the likelihood is that even if you're a student in London, you won't be able to stay in your room over summer anyway so the accommodation issue will still exist. Firms will also likely be able to offer you accommodation advice if they do offer you an internship anyway.

As others have said, Oxford definitely doesn't feel isolated to me. It's easy and relatively cheap to get to London (and, with the Oxford tube, this can be done pretty spontaneously), and there's so much going on here anyway that it never feels like you're far from the centre of things.
That you posted this in the Oxford forum suggests that you want reassuring about Oxford, not a weighing up of the options. If so, I think you've already made up your mind. Perhaps that's your answer.

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) Oxford is not isolated, there's loads of university and college societies and different clubs depending on what you like on a night out/what day of the week it is. People always have too many things they want to go to. Transport links are also good, as someone said the Oxford tube is great for going to London, it runs all the time and at freshers fair you can get vouchers for £1 tickets.

2) Oxford a a low dropout rate compared to other unis, there's loads of support and people handle it. I do a lot less work than I thought I'd have to.

3) I'm constantly getting emails about internship opportunities for Oxford students, going to Oxford will not be a hindrance to getting an internship in London. Firms come to Oxford to talk about things like getting in to consultancy or financial services (and loads of things but I know my friends have spoken about going to those in particular).
Reply 6
Much prefer oxford to dirtu, noisy london with nowhere nice to run.
And with such a wide range of well funded university societies, I think there was more to do in oxford from a student's perspective if anything.
Oxford is also cheaper to live in (especially in the years you'll live in college if you have to live out at all), less dangerous, less travelling involved as most places are walking distance = more sleep.
I cannot comment on the other two, but Oxford, if you live in one of the tourisy colleges, is very busy. UCL is not exactly in the busiest area of London, although of course you can easily get to the busier bits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending