The Student Room Group

Tall girls 5'7+: your shopping habits? Researching for my final year project!

I'm doing my final year project on creating a concept for a new tall-specific womenswear brand, focused on the 16 - 35 year old consumer.

I'm around 6' myself and often have trouble finding genuinely stylish clothes that fit - it's a miracle finding a jacket or a pair of jeans (in particular) that fit, as well as not looking like something my grandmother would wear. I'm also looking at possibly working with Asos to give ideas for their new Tall collection, officially coming out next month.

Tall girls: where do you shop for clothes? What are your favourite/least favourite Tall brands? Do you feel you can't get what you want on the high street, or are current choices more than enough?

My survey is here - it only takes a couple of minutes & you'd be a huge help for my uni project! Thanks! :

**Edit: Survey now closed - thanks all! **
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I did it, hope your project goes well! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much! :smile:

& thank you loads to everyone else who filled it out, especially the more detailed responses - very much appreciated!
Reply 3
I'm about to fill it out.. 5'7 and 1/2 here, might not sound too tall but I just find that clothes in places like Topshop just don't fit well.. and their 'Tall' section is usually sparse but their 'Petite' is about half the shop!
Reply 4
Original post by hellsyeah
I'm about to fill it out.. 5'7 and 1/2 here, might not sound too tall but I just find that clothes in places like Topshop just don't fit well.. and their 'Tall' section is usually sparse but their 'Petite' is about half the shop!

This is so true! It's really sad that the 'Petite' section is enormous and features loads of really cute, on-trend items; yet the 'Tall' section is limited to one or two rails and features items that look like what my mum wears to do the gardening (baggy jumpers, baggy shirts, big unflattering coats). It's a shame brands don't always realise that tall girls wants to wear trend pieces and look feminine and pretty/sexy too.
Reply 5
Thanks to all who have completed the survey so far - really appreciate your responses!
Just filled it in! The most upsetting thing for me is playsuits - I love them but they are always too small :frown:

(will be obvious which response is mine haha)
Reply 7
Original post by sectumsempra
Just filled it in! The most upsetting thing for me is playsuits - I love them but they are always too small :frown:

(will be obvious which response is mine haha)

Thank you! <3

I agree! Playsuits are so cute and fun to wear, but not when you have an uncomfortable wedgie/cameltoe going on. I'm excited for ASOS to officially bring out their full Tall collection next month, they already have one playsuit up that I have my eye on!
Original post by mxcs
Thank you! <3

I agree! Playsuits are so cute and fun to wear, but not when you have an uncomfortable wedgie/cameltoe going on. I'm excited for ASOS to officially bring out their full Tall collection next month, they already have one playsuit up that I have my eye on!

Exactly! I will definitely have to look into that when it comes out! Thanks :smile:
I'm 5"9 but haven't really found finding things that fit too much of a problem. I think the main thing is jeans are sometimes not long enough, as a standard leg length is usually 30"/32" and i need a 34", but lots of places like New Look & Primark now do these lengths. Boohoo.com are too short in jeans/trousers though and don't offer another length. I've never really had to shop in a tall section, but then i guess 5"9 isn't super tall.

I haven't personally found playsuits an issue - they always fit me.

The only other issue I have is buying pyjama sets (Primark in particular) as they always end up as 3/4 lengths on me!!

And then with dresses/skirts - they always look quite short compared to if a smaller person wears them... but I don't really mind that because I think that length suits me. But it does mean I get unwanted attention from creepy pervs walking down the street!!

Shani
x
Reply 10
Just filled it in, I'm 5'8" and bought some faux leather leggings from Zara the other day, got home and they were too short..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Done! :smile:

I'm 5ft 9" and generally speaking don't have any issues with the fit of normal range clothing, but sometimes dresses come up too short on me so I need to get them from the Tall range - which is often much more limited, especially in Topshop! I'm on their website now and there is 131 items in their Tall range compared to 236 in their Petite range so there is quite a discrepancy there. Lots of retailers are now stocking 34" leg jeans though, so that's a good sign for taller women! It makes shopping so much easier.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm 5'7 and most of the time I don't have an issue with shopping clothes. However, my biggest issue is shopping for jeans or trousers. A lot of stores seem to sell in a regular size, which isn't long enough. Sometimes it is the only size the store may have, and often this means I have to travel to another store or order online.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
5'10, My biggest issues are coats, super hard to find one that fits my arms well but I found a really nice coat in New look 'Tall' section and
I rarely wear long sleeves anything coz they seldom fit me.

For jeans, new look or primark do 34''+ inseam, I'm actually 36'' inseam but 34'' are fine with ankle boots. For dresses/skirts.. I gave up that tbh, at least I have the legs for it!
Reply 14
Original post by Ella_M
Just filled it in, I'm 5'8" and bought some faux leather leggings from Zara the other day, got home and they were too short..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find everything in Zara is much shorter than anywhere else! Maybe the Spanish population is much more petite than us on average? I tried on a beautiful pale blue faux leather jacket; even in XL, the sleeves were nearly up to my elbow and the length was laughably short. Such a shame - I really hope to find something similar!

Women and girls come in all shapes and sizes yet most high street fashion caters to a minority size-wise - there is still a huge gap in the market for 'niche' size groups.

Thanks all for filling out so far - it's a huge help for my final year project! 6 more participants and I'm up to a wonderful 50 responses :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending