The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Would you go to Birmingham City or Nottingham Trent?

Poll

Nottingham Trent or Birmingham City?

I'm stuck between the two. The two courses are pretty much the same (education) so the only other factors I need to consider would be student life/distance. Birmingham City is around 1 hr 50 mins from where I live and Nottingham Trent is 2hrs and 20 mins. (I'd be living out) What is the night life like in either uni? What are the people like?

Scroll to see replies

BCU is literally not worth the paper it is written on.

NTU is a decent university.
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Bill_Gates

why would you say that about BCU?
Original post by politicschick
why would you say that about BCU?

I live like 10 minutes away from the Campus. Know literally 20-40 people who have attended BCU. Either dropped out,failed or the degree didn't live up to expectations.

NTU is a very good uni in comparison to BCU.
Reply 4
I live like 10 minutes away from the Campus. Know literally 20-40 people who have attended BCU. Either dropped out,failed or the degree didn't live up to expectations.

NTU is a very good uni in comparison to BCU.

oh no! definitely have got me thinking now. is there an asian community at nottingham? i mean i love meeting new people but i dont want to be the only brown person!
oh no! definitely have got me thinking now. is there an asian community at nottingham? i mean i love meeting new people but i dont want to be the only brown person!

Where are you currently from?

Yep loads of asians at nottingham.
Reply 6
Where are you currently from?

Yep loads of asians at nottingham.

Slough (so you can see what Im used to)
Reply 7
Slough (so you can see what Im used to)

NTU is a solid uni, best of the ex polys. Don't only hang around with other asians - diversity is the spice of life and all that!
Reply 8
Original post by Dnator
NTU is a solid uni, best of the ex polys. Don't only hang around with other asians - diversity is the spice of life and all that!

thanks so much! deffo going to firm that now :smile: yeah dont get me wrong i love mixing but i just hope other people do too :tongue:
Reply 9
I was actually facing the same choice, I went to the open days of both unis and honestly, BCU had my vote.
The course structure was so much better than the actual course leader seemed far more passionate.

Obviously it'll differ depending on the course you're doing, but as far as it goes for Game Technology, NTU doesn't even compare.

Although I must admit that NTU has by far the better campus, definitely worth going to both open days to make your own choice though.
I don't know about that course but I was studying Visual Communication and left Birmingham City and honestly would tell anyone to avoid it, it's terribly run and the tutors don't care. NTU is supposed to be good and I know people who love it there :smile:
Reply 11

Depends what course / where you're studying, I wouldn't except judgement from someone who hasn't been there.....

And obviously arguments like "the tutors don't care" is relative as you've only describing your tutors not everyone elses.

One thing if you do decided to go BCU try and avoid the North campus, Perry Barr is a **** hole.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tom78
Depends what course / where you're studying, I wouldn't except judgement from someone who hasn't been there.....

And obviously arguments like "the tutors don't care" is relative as you've only describing your tutors not everyone elses.

One thing if you do decided to go BCU try and avoid the North campus, Perry Barr is a **** hole.

BCU is not even on the map. Depends what course you do? all courses are terrible.

It is a reject university.
Reply 13
BCU is not even on the map. Depends what course you do? all courses are terrible.

It is a reject university.

Which map, Birmingham map? It's in the north-east :tongue:

--

You've made that remark on the basis of what?
Original post by Tom78
Which map, Birmingham map? It's in the north-east :tongue:

--

You've made that remark on the basis of what?

20 Odd students that have been there i know

Personal visits and open days

University Rankings

Average earnings after leaving

I know the area very well and the university i use to work about 5 minutes from the campus.

Graduate employment

What more do you need? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

If my child was going there paying 9k per year i just wouldnt let them go. It is not worth 1k. The degree is toilet paper.

Nottingham trent on the other hand is a more respectable university.
Reply 15
20 Odd students that have been there i know

Personal visits and open days

University Rankings

Average earnings after leaving

I know the area very well and the university i use to work about 5 minutes from the campus.

Graduate employment

What more do you need? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

If my child was going there paying 9k per year i just wouldnt let them go. It is not worth 1k. The degree is toilet paper.

Nottingham trent on the other hand is a more respectable university.

Open days to the same campus / for the same course?

Rankings for the uni as a whole or one **** course? Equally is this in comparison to other uni's or its standalone ranking?

Average earnings obviously depends on the course and is relative for every student.

Which campus?

Graduate employment is very good up here, my course is very much vocationally-led and they've a great number of firms line up for placements.

I get a £500 bursary for studying and my fees are £7500, sealed the deal for me.
Original post by Tom78
Open days to the same campus / for the same course?

Rankings for the uni as a whole or one **** course? Equally is this in comparison to other uni's or its standalone ranking?

Average earnings obviously depends on the course and is relative for every student.

Which campus?

Graduate employment is very good up here, my course is very much vocationally-led and they've a great number of firms line up for placements.

I get a £500 bursary for studying and my fees are £7500, sealed the deal for me.

What course are you on?

I've visited all the campuses my gf use to go there.

University as a whole will be accounted for. No employer will go hmm well this university is great for so and so. They will see the name and go MEH

Graduate employment is terrible

Average earnings are lower than average for the UK

Yes poorer universities have to give more to students to entice them to come? whats new?
Reply 17
What course are you on?

I've visited all the campuses my gf use to go there.

University as a whole will be accounted for. No employer will go hmm well this university is great for so and so. They will see the name and go MEH

Graduate employment is terrible

Average earnings are lower than average for the UK

Yes poorer universities have to give more to students to entice them to come? whats new?

Marketing / advertising / PR

No only stupid people or russel group idiots discriminate between one university or another, you sell yourself and the quality of your degree not your university.

Graduate employment is terrible everywhere not just for people who study at BCU lol, as I've said it depends what you're studying, if you're doing fine art yes you'll probably find it harder to find work than someone who's doing I.T

Earnings depend both on the degree and mostly on the individual, averages mean nothing.

I couldn't really give a **** I'm £1500 better off each year plus I can collect my 500 quid cheque later today.
Original post by Tom78
Marketing / advertising / PR

No only stupid people or russel group idiots discriminate between one university or another, you sell yourself and the quality of your degree not your university.

Graduate employment is terrible everywhere not just for people who study at BCU lol, as I've said it depends what you're studying, if you're doing fine art yes you'll probably find it harder to find work than someone who's doing I.T

Earnings depend both on the degree and mostly on the individual, averages mean nothing.

I couldn't really give a **** I'm £1500 better off each year plus I can collect my 500 quid cheque later today.

LOL interesting reply. It seems you are not biased at all :rolleyes:

£1500 is nothing compared to a poor degree at a poor institution. Never take the easy route in life.

Graduate employment is still better at NTU and other top class Birmingham Unis.

No the place where its from matters just as much as the individual.

Overall the graduate salary is much lower than the average.

Enjoy your £500 hope it brings you long term security :colondollar:
Reply 19
LOL interesting reply. It seems you are not biased at all :rolleyes:

£1500 is nothing compared to a poor degree at a poor institution. Never take the easy route in life.

Graduate employment is still better at NTU and other top class Birmingham Unis.

No the place where its from matters just as much as the individual.

Overall the graduate salary is much lower than the average.

Enjoy your £500 hope it brings you long term security :colondollar:

Hmmm right..

Well first of all let's disprove that first point by telling you that I dropped out of a good sixth form to go to an average College; me and my friends all left with very good A Levels of which most were better than our friends at this well-regarded school. I then got 5 conditional offers from 5 decent uni's on the basis of my grades and personal abilities such as of that to persuade - not on the basis of being at a "good institution".

Where are you getting this idea from that it's a poor institution, what's the basis for that?
Or is this a comparison to somewhere else?

Graduate employment for what? Can you not see that people are taken as individuals? People are assessed upon their own skills and merits not just group averages? This isn't a football team lol. It doesn't matter who I am, where I'm from, what swimming badges I've got, if I've got the necessary skills to get a job I will get it.

The place where the degree's from does not matter on the whole, unless you're applying to be a cabinet politician, naturally.

Graduate salary again is based upon the individual, I'm not part of a group, I'm not playing for the Birmingham City Uni FC team!! There's people in my lectures who will be on six figures and those who will roll along at 25k or less.

Money can do wonders my friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending