The Student Room Group

are degrees easier at lesser ranked uni??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by wartortle
Firstly this thread is not here to start an argument. It is here to help me on my uni decision.

Many people will say the statement above is true.

Ive checked my course using unistats - And for accounting the statement does not seem true.

please help me someone

From my understanding of it the questions you're set for coursework and exams are easier at lower ranked universities. I do law and have two other friends who do law and they're essay questions sound an awful lot easier than mine are. They also have more work for each module so in my view that makes it easier because doing badly in one essay wont hurt you as much
Original post by wartortle
Firstly this thread is not here to start an argument. It is here to help me on my uni decision.

Many people will say the statement above is true.

Ive checked my course using unistats - And for accounting the statement does not seem true.

please help me someone

I would disagree. I did a BSc economics degree at the uni of Liverpool which in my first year was ranked very high for economics. I know someone at nottingham trent - very low on rankings - and their course is practically the same just the modules are called different names. I guess it depends on the course and the range of the two unis rankings. Now i am at nottingham university doing a masters and their undergrad economics was slightly more mathematical and slightly more challenging from what ive gathered from nottingham alumni
Reply 82
Being at Leeds Met doing Economics the main difference compared to Leeds appears to be workload (they have a lot more essays which don't count toward their grade) and 2 more Economic modules with Maths content each year. In terms of the broad content though it appears to be mostly the same.
Original post by Spairos
No. Degrees from lesser ranked unis are (gnerally) not easier.
However, degrees from lesser difficult programmes are easier. (i.e. comparing a science programme with a management one)

On the first point, evidence please. I've provided some fairly hard evidence throughout this thread that they are easier at lower ranked unis, so you're going to need done evidence of your own to back up your assertion.

On the second point, I think you've got to be very wary of saying that one subject is harder than the other, especially when they use such different skills as computer science and management.

For instance, I know I wouldn't cope with a physics degree because that's not where my talents lie. However, I strongly suspect that my friends who do physics wouldn't be able to cope with my politics degree because their talents lie in physics and maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
Generally the more clueless an individual is on a topic, the stronger their opinion on the topic.

Everyone should be pretty clueless here apart from those who have studied several degrees at different universities
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by laurajanecurtis
Everyone should be pretty clueless here apart from those who have studied several degrees at different universities

Actually I think those of us with a Masters can comment pretty fairly having studied alongside people from all different calibres of University.
Original post by redferry
Actually I think those of us with a Masters can comment pretty fairly having studied alongside people from all different calibres of University.

Yeah, I should've mentioned that - I was just replying in terms of not believing I'm the only one commenting that would need to know more about the topic to give a fair answer. I'm not aiming to offend.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Yeah, I should've mentioned that - I was just replying in terms of not believing I'm the only one commenting that would need to know more about the topic to give a fair answer. I'm not aiming to offend.

Sorry that came off more curt/offended than I meant it!! :smile:
Sorry that came off more curt/offended than I meant it!! :smile:

Thank god, I feel like I'm always attacked for not saying the exact right thing that everyone wants to hear! Sorry for implying people like you were clueless here
Reply 89
Original post by Spairos
No. Degrees from lesser ranked unis are (gnerally) not easier.
However, degrees from lesser difficult programmes are easier. (i.e. comparing a science programme with a management one)

I disagree so so so much.

Those from lesser Unis were so far behind the rest of us on my Masters it was unreal. Some of them had never even studied statistics. On a SCIENCE undergraduate they had never done any stats.
Reply 90
Thank god, I feel like I'm always attacked for not saying the exact right thing that everyone wants to hear! Sorry for implying people like you were clueless here

:ashamed: I'm sorry for accidentally attacking you

:console: no worries!
:ashamed: I'm sorry for accidentally attacking you

:console: no worries!

Ohh no, it's just how I interpreted it! :tongue: Tah!
Reply 92
I disagree so so so much.

Those from lesser Unis were so far behind the rest of us on my Masters it was unreal. Some of them had never even studied statistics. On a SCIENCE undergraduate they had never done any stats.

To be honest i blame the rush to go to university at 18 for that and the whole dependence on A levels as a judge of intelligence. There are plenty of people who had they done A levels and then taken a year out and applied could have got into a better university and also the fact that Masters are a chance for those who were slackers at A levels but pushed themselves for their degree to redeem themselves in the eyes of an employer but in getting poor A levels never went to a top uni with Stats in your case.

I'm not sure if there's a solution but ultimately i think those are the reasons.
Reply 93
Original post by Rakas21
To be honest i blame the rush to go to university at 18 for that and the whole dependence on A levels as a judge of intelligence. There are plenty of people who had they done A levels and then taken a year out and applied could have got into a better university and also the fact that Masters are a chance for those who were slackers at A levels but pushed themselves for their degree to redeem themselves in the eyes of an employer but in getting poor A levels never went to a top uni with Stats in your case.

I'm not sure if there's a solution but ultimately i think those are the reasons.

Yeah except they didn't really have to push themselves for their degree, put in far less effort to obtain their 2:1s and not one of them obtained a distinction on their masters. One didn't even manage a merit.

So they're still far behind the rest of us on paper. One guy has a job in the field but its basically because he's massive so can shift logs and things easily lol.

Quick Reply

Latest