The Student Room Group

people from Manchester, Do everybody there speak as they do on Shameless Tv series?

Hello guys, this is Daniel, and Im thinking about moving to Manchester to study and work, Im from Argentina (also italian citizen) and I was wondering if people in Manchester really do speak as they in Shameless, that show in particular is so hard for me to understand what they are saying, on the other hand Coronation Street is much easier even though i still struggle sometimes.

Thanks for your input!

Daniel.
Reply 1
There are small parts of Manchester where people talk as they do in Shameless. However the majority of people are easy to understand. And in the centre of Manchester (where the Universities are) you find there are a lot of different people from all over the world. Manchester is very diverse and although it is hard to understand people sometimes, it's usually worth the effort to listen to them in hope of learning something about them or their culture. Hope this helped! :redface:
I wouldn't worry. In the UK people often go to a University away from their home city. At Manchester University you're probably more likely to encounter fellow Argentine-Italians than you are genuine Mancunians.
Reply 3
There are a lot of very different regional accents in Manchester. As is the case in most of the UK. So someone from only 6 miles away can sound very different in terms of accent. If you listen to someone from say Bolton then compare to someone from Stockport they have very different accents.
You'll be fine, just be glad you're not going to Liverpool.

Quick Reply

Latest