The Student Room Group

Course differences between Medicine and Biomedical Sciences

I know that Medicine is a vocational course designed to train doctors. But in terms of course content , is there any difference between the science modules taught in a Biomedicine and Medicine degree?
Reply 1
Original post by maidoftheseas
I know that Medicine is a vocational course designed to train doctors. But in terms of course content , is there any difference between the science modules taught in a Biomedicine and Medicine degree?

their is one very big difference the admission rates.
Original post by 391iady
their is one very big difference the admission rates.

Hahahaha, that made me laugh but I agree ^.

Medical students learn biomedical principles so they can be applied to clinical settings. Biomedical sciences student learn those same principles and skills so they can be applied to research, industry and in some strange cases, consultancy and banking. At my university, biomedical sciences and medicine have practically the same equivalent of the medical students' pre-clinical science course (first three years), although, biomedical sciences students do not cover anatomy (only physiology).
Reply 3
Original post by maidoftheseas

Generally, the content will be vaguely similar in the first two years. That doesn't mean that it'll be the same. On the whole, pre-clinical medicine will still have a clinical slant at the vast majority of places, and the science you're taught is relevant (?ish) to clinical medicine. You will also likely do a lot more barn door clinical stuff, like clinical skills, hospital visits, GP, etc. as well as anatomy, which biomeds probably won't do. The biomeds will likely learn the science in a lot more depth (i.e. medics will know "K+ efflux causes repolarisation and relaxation of cardiac myocytes" while biomeds will know "the B5i receptor causes a confirmation change in co-proteins A, B of protein gamma 5, which through downstream actions and the use of cAMP cause the subtype cation channel..."). You'll also probably get "professionalism" teaching as a medic, as well as teaching about psychology, sociology, etc.

The example is something I completely made up and is very dramatised, but you get my point.
Reply 4
The biomeds I lived with had to know much much more detail than us. Plus they didn't get to see patients. I didn't envy them one bit.
Reply 5
Original post by Sarky
The biomeds I lived with had to know much much more detail than us. Plus they didn't get to see patients. I didn't envy them one bit.

Could I ask what route you've taken into Medicine after graduation? :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending