The Student Room Group

City and Islington subjects help??

Hey all, I've applied to City and Islington last year and i have an interview confirmed for next week friday however I have only one problem :frown:. CandI is the sixth form I want to go to but now I am becoming a bit unsure about one A level that I chose. I want to go into marketing/publishing/advertising/ being a creative director in the future but I also like to keep my options open so I chose the following a levels: English Lit, Psychology, Media and Economics but i'm a bit unsure about economics and I'm thinking that i should change it to maybe business studies or even possibly film studies. What do you guys think? And if you've studied these subjects, how did you find them?

Original post by radicalT
Hey all, I've applied to City and Islington last year and i have an interview confirmed for next week friday however I have only one problem :frown:. CandI is the sixth form I want to go to but now I am becoming a bit unsure about one A level that I chose. I want to go into marketing/publishing/advertising/ being a creative director in the future but I also like to keep my options open so I chose the following a levels: English Lit, Psychology, Media and Economics but i'm a bit unsure about economics and I'm thinking that i should change it to maybe business studies or even possibly film studies. What do you guys think? And if you've studied these subjects, how did you find them?

hey radicalT:biggrin:
i've got my interview for city and islington:biggrin: - tomorrow.
but to answer your question i think the a-levels you've chosen are really good and open especially for the career you want to persue. maybe consider graphic communication as it focuses on making thing for advertising like posters, animation, album art etc. but don't choose it if you haven't done art or arent organised cause art subjects are stressed (i'm behind on my art coursework, way behind that its depressing my life right now :frown:)
right now i'm studying media studies and english literature. i love media we're creating a thriller sequence. it requires you to be super organized. surpisingly there's alot of writing, there's always something you have to analyse. its the sort of subject that by the end of it you're glad you chose it, its a rewarding subject :rolleyes:.
eglish literature is hard its nothing like the gcse, i made the mistake of picking it. we're looking at the struggle for identity in modern literature. you have to read loads of books and make connections between the books you read in class. you write essays and there's a tight word limit.
hope this helps and good luck in your interview :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by cathzeta10
hey radicalT:biggrin:
i've got my interview for city and islington:biggrin: - tomorrow.
but to answer your question i think the a-levels you've chosen are really good and open especially for the career you want to persue. maybe consider graphic communication as it focuses on making thing for advertising like posters, animation, album art etc. but don't choose it if you haven't done art or arent organised cause art subjects are stressed (i'm behind on my art coursework, way behind that its depressing my life right now :frown:)
right now i'm studying media studies and english literature. i love media we're creating a thriller sequence. it requires you to be super organized. surpisingly there's alot of writing, there's always something you have to analyse. its the sort of subject that by the end of it you're glad you chose it, its a rewarding subject :rolleyes:.
eglish literature is hard its nothing like the gcse, i made the mistake of picking it. we're looking at the struggle for identity in modern literature. you have to read loads of books and make connections between the books you read in class. you write essays and there's a tight word limit.
hope this helps and good luck in your interview :smile:

Hey Cathzeta10!
Im sorry it took me years to reply to this, it was because i forgot my password so i couldn't log in :frown: but its alright now as i finally remembered it:biggrin:. Im gonna enrol at c&i on thursday and I've finally decided on my final subjects! English literature doesn't seem very appealing anymore :frown: but I'm still going to pick it and drop it at A2 hopefully! I can't do graphic communication because i didn't do art at gcse but i did do graphics (i doubt it will be the same though:s-smilie:). I think I'm going to do film studies instead of media studies now as it seems that the a level media studies course is kinda what i've done these past 2 years at gcse (i really don't want to repeat everything again!) do you think film studies might be a good choice? Im also going to do philosophy instead of economics because of the maths in it which it's just not for me hahah:biggrin: and I'm still going to do psychology. Im super excited to start! Hopefully they will also let me change the 2 subjects!:rolleyes:
Hey Cathzeta10!
Im sorry it took me years to reply to this, it was because i forgot my password so i couldn't log in :frown: but its alright now as i finally remembered it:biggrin:. Im gonna enrol at c&i on thursday and I've finally decided on my final subjects! English literature doesn't seem very appealing anymore :frown: but I'm still going to pick it and drop it at A2 hopefully! I can't do graphic communication because i didn't do art at gcse but i did do graphics (i doubt it will be the same though:s-smilie:). I think I'm going to do film studies instead of media studies now as it seems that the a level media studies course is kinda what i've done these past 2 years at gcse (i really don't want to repeat everything again!) do you think film studies might be a good choice? Im also going to do philosophy instead of economics because of the maths in it which it's just not for me hahah:biggrin: and I'm still going to do psychology. Im super excited to start! Hopefully they will also let me change the 2 subjects!:rolleyes:

long time no see :biggrin:. I'm enrolling the day after you, Friday 29th. its great you know what you want to do know, I'm glad i could help. :biggrin:

what about English literature doesn't seem appealing? i got a D in the subject for my AS (B for coursework/E for exam, overall a D) so I can tell you a little bit more though candi don't do the literature pathway i did at my sixth form i did struggle for identity in modern literature they do Gothic literature.

I see, what sort of things did you do for graphics if you don't mind me asking? you might find the the graphic communication course is actually similar to what you did.

yh I understand you not wanting to continue media I did it as a BTEC at secondary school. I got a C in media this august for my AS (b in the exam/c for coursework) again i can tell you more. though i will say this, its a lot different to how they teach it in secondary school. i'd imagine film studies follows the same structure as media studies: analysing films this includes the colours used, camera angles/shots, characters etc. then and using this 'information' from your analysis to make title sequences for a movie. for some colleges they make magazines, radios or film trailers i think candi does film trailers not sure. my school did film, if that's the case you'd also be looking at tv dramas like eastenders and downtown abbey to see how types of people are represented and i'd imagine you'd do the same for the films in film studies. although media studies would be more rounded its up to you if you want to focus only on film then do film studies if candi happens to do film for media studies and you don't mind also looking at tv dramas then you could do media studies. but do whichever you need or would be useful when applying to uni.

well i hope they let you change subjects. i'm retaking english lit (i'm hoping to change to this when i enrol) so i might be in your class lol :wink:

sorry if this is too long just want to help as much as possible :redface:
Reply 4
long time no see :biggrin:. I'm enrolling the day after you, Friday 29th. its great you know what you want to do know, I'm glad i could help. :biggrin:

what about English literature doesn't seem appealing? i got a D in the subject for my AS (B for coursework/E for exam, overall a D) so I can tell you a little bit more though candi don't do the literature pathway i did at my sixth form i did struggle for identity in modern literature they do Gothic literature.

I see, what sort of things did you do for graphics if you don't mind me asking? you might find the the graphic communication course is actually similar to what you did.

yh I understand you not wanting to continue media I did it as a BTEC at secondary school. I got a C in media this august for my AS (b in the exam/c for coursework) again i can tell you more. though i will say this, its a lot different to how they teach it in secondary school. i'd imagine film studies follows the same structure as media studies: analysing films this includes the colours used, camera angles/shots, characters etc. then and using this 'information' from your analysis to make title sequences for a movie. for some colleges they make magazines, radios or film trailers i think candi does film trailers not sure. my school did film, if that's the case you'd also be looking at tv dramas like eastenders and downtown abbey to see how types of people are represented and i'd imagine you'd do the same for the films in film studies. although media studies would be more rounded its up to you if you want to focus only on film then do film studies if candi happens to do film for media studies and you don't mind also looking at tv dramas then you could do media studies. but do whichever you need or would be useful when applying to uni.

well i hope they let you change subjects. i'm retaking english lit (i'm hoping to change to this when i enrol) so i might be in your class lol :wink:

sorry if this is too long just want to help as much as possible :redface:

This is not long at all! Im grateful that you took the time to go so in depth, your help is really appreciated :smile:

Oh i love english literature, but in terms of what i will be studying at c&i it sounds quite off-putting :confused: . In the summer activities booklet they gave me at the taster day the english lit section put me off! haha. I hope it will be different though, that's why I'm sticking to it and yeah! if we are in the same class it would be awesome as i will have at least one friend already :biggrin: how hard did you find english lit btw? i want to prepare myself for the workload:frown:.

For graphics i had to design a book cover and i chose a catcher in the rye:biggrin: it was really fun and i got in A* in my coursework, but i keep on thinking that the people that will take the course will probably be 100 times better than me so i don't even want to bother haha.

I chose to do film studies like 3 days ago actually, simply because it sort of came to me how much i love films and i kind of want to study it more deeply. Media studies was great too but i felt that it kind of dragged a little bit due to the work which i kind of thought was pointless lol, plus my teacher made me hate the subject. She did not know anything about media as she was an english teacher, therefore she wasn't passionate at all. She also always used to say how she didn't even want to teach the subject:s-smilie:.

So are you repeating the whole of the first year? What subjects are you doing?:smile:
This is not long at all! Im grateful that you took the time to go so in depth, your help is really appreciated :smile:

Oh i love english literature, but in terms of what i will be studying at c&i it sounds quite off-putting :confused: . In the summer activities booklet they gave me at the taster day the english lit section put me off! haha. I hope it will be different though, that's why I'm sticking to it and yeah! if we are in the same class it would be awesome as i will have at least one friend already :biggrin: how hard did you find english lit btw? i want to prepare myself for the workload:frown:.

For graphics i had to design a book cover and i chose a catcher in the rye:biggrin: it was really fun and i got in A* in my coursework, but i keep on thinking that the people that will take the course will probably be 100 times better than me so i don't even want to bother haha.

I chose to do film studies like 3 days ago actually, simply because it sort of came to me how much i love films and i kind of want to study it more deeply. Media studies was great too but i felt that it kind of dragged a little bit due to the work which i kind of thought was pointless lol, plus my teacher made me hate the subject. She did not know anything about media as she was an english teacher, therefore she wasn't passionate at all. She also always used to say how she didn't even want to teach the subject:s-smilie:.

So are you repeating the whole of the first year? What subjects are you doing?:smile:

to be honest i found english lit a bit hard at first :redface: but i realised it's really about being able to make interpretations :rolleyes: like the significance of for example curley's wife in of mice and men etc. as long as you practise writing and understand the significance of things you'll be fine. in section a you refer to the structure, language and form and section b you do the same thing but are comparing poems. honestly section b the poetry section i think is the easiest to get the hang of anylsing poetry comes easy to me. section a they use 'real life' texts like speeches, diary entries etc. the workload? you're gonna be doing a lot of reading i had to read 4 but we were encouraged to read more than this and they expected us to read it more than once. you'll be re-drafting essays a lot so pratise your essay writing. read the exam report from last year constantly do past papers and give to the teacher i wish i did this as my grade may have been different. all in all the worklad is a lot but managable, just be organised and revise regualrly.:smile:

sounds like you could take graphics based on your grade and the work you did and thats the thing about graphics you don't have to be able to draw you can do other things like photoshop on the computer but hey i'm not tryna force ya to do the subject cause art subjects tend to be the death of people and i know this for sure as i did art and got a C it was very stressful a lot of sleepless nights, not eating cause you want enough time to do your work etc.:frown: i'm not great at drawing either i'm just average.

its sound like film studies is right for you and if you feel that way go for it but check out some film studie blogs on the internet to get an idea of what you'll learn/be doing especially try youtube you can see alot of A*-B coursework.

yeah i'm repeating the whole of yr12, i'm doing english literature, graphics and buisness studies i'm hoping they'll let me change my subjects to this. :colondollar:
if there's anything else give me a shout :biggrin:
Reply 6
to be honest i found english lit a bit hard at first :redface: but i realised it's really about being able to make interpretations :rolleyes: like the significance of for example curley's wife in of mice and men etc. as long as you practise writing and understand the significance of things you'll be fine. in section a you refer to the structure, language and form and section b you do the same thing but are comparing poems. honestly section b the poetry section i think is the easiest to get the hang of anylsing poetry comes easy to me. section a they use 'real life' texts like speeches, diary entries etc. the workload? you're gonna be doing a lot of reading i had to read 4 but we were encouraged to read more than this and they expected us to read it more than once. you'll be re-drafting essays a lot so pratise your essay writing. read the exam report from last year constantly do past papers and give to the teacher i wish i did this as my grade may have been different. all in all the worklad is a lot but managable, just be organised and revise regualrly.:smile:

sounds like you could take graphics based on your grade and the work you did and thats the thing about graphics you don't have to be able to draw you can do other things like photoshop on the computer but hey i'm not tryna force ya to do the subject cause art subjects tend to be the death of people and i know this for sure as i did art and got a C it was very stressful a lot of sleepless nights, not eating cause you want enough time to do your work etc.:frown: i'm not great at drawing either i'm just average.

its sound like film studies is right for you and if you feel that way go for it but check out some film studie blogs on the internet to get an idea of what you'll learn/be doing especially try youtube you can see alot of A*-B coursework.

yeah i'm repeating the whole of yr12, i'm doing english literature, graphics and buisness studies i'm hoping they'll let me change my subjects to this. :colondollar:
if there's anything else give me a shout :biggrin:

I enrolled yesterday!:biggrin: Im guessing you enrolled today? I am now doing the summer activities booklet and I started with with english literature!

Oh damn graphics sounds really appealing now:frown: maybe I can take an extra-curricular activity which involves graphics:confused:. You're super helpful btw! Thanks:colondollar:
I enrolled yesterday!:biggrin: Im guessing you enrolled today? I am now doing the summer activities booklet and I started with with english literature!

Oh damn graphics sounds really appealing now:frown: maybe I can take an extra-curricular activity which involves graphics:confused:. You're super helpful btw! Thanks:colondollar:

gr8 u enrolled:biggrin:, yh i enrolled today:smile:. oh yh the activities i better get started on that lol :colondollar: no probz glad i could help:wink:, need anything give me a shout :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest