The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Heslington East

I've been to Heslington East a couple of times for an interview and post-offer day but on both times my impression has been that it seems quite isolated, has anyone else found this? And are there any current students living at Hes East who have some real life experience they could share?

And with the city being a 20 minute bus ride away, do people often venture out there or is the campus quite active?

Scroll to see replies

I'm having the same problem! Hes East is really nice and is where my course buildings are, but it seems so dead so I don't know if I should stay on Hes West instead?
University of York
York
Hes East really is really isolated, what you have seen on the open days really is what it is like practically all of the time. It does have advantages in terms of better facilities and possibly proximity to department if your course is based there, but getting to and from town is a massive pain. That becomes even worse if you intend to hit the clubs a lot. That extra 15/20 walk becomes even worse when you are smashed off your head. Also because it is so far out of the way you don't get the same sense of being at the heart of the action as if you are in Vanbrugh, James, Derwent or even Alquin to a lesser extent.
Reply 3
I love living on Hes East, even though my course is based on Hes West the commute is worth it in my opinion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kimiechi
I love living on Hes East, even though my course is based on Hes West the commute is worth it in my opinion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What makes you say that?:smile:
Reply 5
Hes East really is not this Horror story you hear about it being isolated.

Ok, so naturally it willbe quieter because it only houses 2 college (3 as of sept 2014), but it doesn't mean it is isolated.
The colleges try reallyhard - and successfully manage - to form a community spirit. I never really feel like I'm missing out on much.

The accommodation quality is a lot better. And the issue with getting to town is nothing. The buses run every 7minutes, and run from 7am - midnight.... getting to town is no problem at all! Trust me. I'm pro :wink:

I think it is really what you make of it. If you are social it will feel social. You get to know people a lot better.
Plus, everyone I know based on west who study on east wish that they had been on east.
Reply 6
Original post by JCO1103
Hes East really is not this Horror story you hear about it being isolated.

Ok, so naturally it willbe quieter because it only houses 2 college (3 as of sept 2014), but it doesn't mean it is isolated.
The colleges try reallyhard - and successfully manage - to form a community spirit. I never really feel like I'm missing out on much.

The accommodation quality is a lot better. And the issue with getting to town is nothing. The buses run every 7minutes, and run from 7am - midnight.... getting to town is no problem at all! Trust me. I'm pro :wink:

I think it is really what you make of it. If you are social it will feel social. You get to know people a lot better.
Plus, everyone I know based on west who study on east wish that they had been on east.

I second this entirely :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Kimiechi

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree! I live at Goodricke College at the moment and I don't regret my choice at all. The accommodation is some of the most up-to-date you can get on campus and the internet here is really good too -- which is not a guarantee as a lot of people I know on Hes West actually have problems accessing the WiFi. I also think that it's quite a pretty campus. Obviously it's a little bit more quiet but it's what you make of it really. I also really like The Glasshouse on this campus and because we're a bit out of the way it's never totally packed like some of the ones on Hes West too.
So to sum up: if your course is based on hes east it's worth choosing accomodation there. if not then not really..

Thanks for the helpfull comments! I'm still stuck in two minds. My course is based on hes east, but I want to play in one of the uni sports teams which also means spending a lot of time at the sports center. So I (before reading this thread) was gonna pick James to have the proximity to the sports facilities and the central lively atmosphere and just put up with the commute for the course..
What d'you think? Is it worth choosing a college over on hes east ?
Reply 9
Original post by alexbfromsbg
So to sum up: if your course is based on hes east it's worth choosing accomodation there. if not then not really..

Thanks for the helpfull comments! I'm still stuck in two minds. My course is based on hes east, but I want to play in one of the uni sports teams which also means spending a lot of time at the sports center. So I (before reading this thread) was gonna pick James to have the proximity to the sports facilities and the central lively atmosphere and just put up with the commute for the course..
What d'you think? Is it worth choosing a college over on hes east ?

Hey! What course are you doing, just out of interest?

And Hes East certainly will not limit you inter-terms of playing sport for the uni. Plus, we have the sports village this side which has new and improving facilities. And, we have the best accommodation too ^_^

I've just been elected into Vice Chair of Community for the new college, Constantine, so I imagine at some point- if you choose to live there - I'll bump into you :P
Reply 10
Original post by JCO1103
Hey! What course are you doing, just out of interest?

And Hes East certainly will not limit you inter-terms of playing sport for the uni. Plus, we have the sports village this side which has new and improving facilities. And, we have the best accommodation too ^_^

I've just been elected into Vice Chair of Community for the new college, Constantine, so I imagine at some point- if you choose to live there - I'll bump into you :P

Hi, I'm really considering applying for Constantine although I'm based in Hes West because the thought of creating a new community is quite exciting. Is there anything interesting planned for the college's launch? And how easy would it be to get involved in possibly the college admin-y stuff as a first year? I'm quite handy on the computer with web and graphic design and wouldn't mind helping out with the running of that kind of thing.
Reply 11
Original post by didreams
Hi, I'm really considering applying for Constantine although I'm based in Hes West because the thought of creating a new community is quite exciting. Is there anything interesting planned for the college's launch? And how easy would it be to get involved in possibly the college admin-y stuff as a first year? I'm quite handy on the computer with web and graphic design and wouldn't mind helping out with the running of that kind of thing.

Hey! I'm loving the interest already :smile:

So, in terms of the launch for the community and new college - obviously freshers week is going to be key - but there will be some more formal college events to bring the community together and as a whole. The Welcome Committee was formed last week so we've just begun all the preparations for when you guys move in so I can't really give you much more information on that front...

In terms of getting involved there is lots of opportunity. In dec/jan nominations will open to form the new JCRC (Junior Common Room Committee) which will encompass lots of roles you can run for. It sounds like you'd be good at being a secretary or web officer. As I said, you just have to nominate yourself and people then vote. It doesn't matter what year you are in :smile:
Reply 12
Constantine will be special, as any new freshers will have the benefit of being the first students there too. You will help form what you want and how you want it from the start, plus you will have the newest accommodation on campus! The center building now called the 'Forum' is the only 2 floor center building and is almost made completely of glass and boasts the fact that it honestly looks like the HQ of a tech firm, its awesome and I can't wait to move in!!
Reply 13
Could a current student just validate how long it takes to walk, bus and bike from Hes East to town and from Hes East to Hes West? Is it safe to get home from a night out back to Hes East in anyway other than a cab? Or if we happen to be out in Hes West late at night, would it be safe to walk back to East? I can't really visualise how far the campuses are from one another :s-smilie:
Could a current student just validate how long it takes to walk, bus and bike from Hes East to town and from Hes East to Hes West? Is it safe to get home from a night out back to Hes East in anyway other than a cab? Or if we happen to be out in Hes West late at night, would it be safe to walk back to East? I can't really visualise how far the campuses are from one another :s-smilie:

Hey. Hes east is a 20 minute walk max (stroll more like) from hes west. It really isn't that far and on a nice day the walk can be quite nice. In terms of cycling it's like 10 minutes from West if that.

On a night out you could walk home, takes about an hour and it is simple but I wouldn't advise it anyway. Always much safer to take the clubbers bus or taxi. Taxi is like £8 shared between 4 of you anyway so is nothing.

The bus runs all day (7am-midnight) and takes 3 minutes. And it's free. From town it's 15 minutes on bus either way

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Jogilvie1103
Hey. Hes east is a 20 minute walk max (stroll more like) from hes west. It really isn't that far and on a nice day the walk can be quite nice. In terms of cycling it's like 10 minutes from West if that.

On a night out you could walk home, takes about an hour and it is simple but I wouldn't advise it anyway. Always much safer to take the clubbers bus or taxi. Taxi is like £8 shared between 4 of you anyway so is nothing.

The bus runs all day (7am-midnight) and takes 3 minutes. And it's free. From town it's 15 minutes on bus either way

Hope this helped :smile:

Thank you very much! I remember one poster on another thread saying the bus journey from Hes East to town was 40 minutes and I was shocked. Nice to know that must have been a mistake! I think Hes East is definitely what I'm going for now, thank you again :smile:
Thank you very much! I remember one poster on another thread saying the bus journey from Hes East to town was 40 minutes and I was shocked. Nice to know that must have been a mistake! I think Hes East is definitely what I'm going for now, thank you again :smile:

Hey, no problem :smile: What college are you considering?
So because Hes East colleges tend to be more up to date, does that mean they're more expensive than some of the older colleges on Hes West?
Hey. Yeah, hes east colleges tend to have better bands of accommodation (premium standard, premium ensuite, deluxe Ensuite) and therefore do not offer the cheaper alternatives that the likes of derwent (for example) offer.

But, the difference in quality of room is worth the price increase
See my comment above.

Original post by orangeKUBRICK
So because Hes East colleges tend to be more up to date, does that mean they're more expensive than some of the older colleges on Hes West?

Quick Reply

Latest