The Student Room Group

Cerazette (sorry if it's a bit yuck)

Hi, I'm posting anonymous because I know people on here and I don't really want people I know to recognise me.

Anyway, I started taking Cerazette (a POP contraceptive pill or mini-pill) two-and-a-half months ago, switching over from the combined pill because whilst on it I developed a condition which means that oestrogen could kill me (no joke :s). I bled for just over a week when I started it, then the bleeding stopped. The doctor said that Cerazette might stop my periods completely and I missed two periods so I assumed this to be the case. However, I missed two pills in a row (serious family stress :frown: so that i completely forgot) and then started to bleed. I've bled now for three weeks, and I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else on Cerazette? Some days it's heavier bleeding than other days when there's barely anything but it's by no means heavy, really, it's just a nuisance. I will be going to see my doctor but in the meantime if anyone's had similar experiences it'd be nice to know I guess.

Any help much appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
I've bled now for three weeks, and I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else on Cerazette? Some days it's heavier bleeding than other days when there's barely anything but it's by no means heavy, really, it's just a nuisance.

You've bled for 3 weeks and only going to the doctors now:eek: What are you, like 10? You don't bled for that long and do nothing about it!
Reply 2
Sharp_Shooter
You've bled for 3 weeks and only going to the doctors now:eek: What are you, like 10? You don't bled for that long and do nothing about it!

Well since the doctor said it could mess up my cycle for the first three months, then, yeah...actually. Some people on Cerazette bleed the entire time they're on it, it's a common-ish side effect of the drug. I was just wondering if anyone had had the same kind of problem and just how common it was. So it didn't really need the sarcastic comment :rolleyes:
Anonymous
Well since the doctor said it could mess up my cycle for the first three months, then, yeah...actually. Some people on Cerazette bleed the entire time they're on it, it's a common-ish side effect of the drug. I was just wondering if anyone had had the same kind of problem and just how common it was. So it didn't really need the sarcastic comment :rolleyes:

In her defence, I think she was just surprised that you hadn't gone to the doc yet (but admittedly phrased it with all the tact of a giant in the home of a Hobbit).

You could perhaps ring NHS direct and ask about it?
Reply 4
I could but the thing is, I had a similar problem before taking any kind of pill and they couldn't find anything wrong, so I was wondering if people on Cerazette could help, or if maybe it's just a recurrence of the problem I had before which I had to take oestrogen to sort out. Either way, I am going to the doctor, but as I've said, I've had serious family problems (a family member very very ill) so I've not really been thinking about going to see the doctor myself at the moment. Even if I wanted to the nearest GUM clinic is once every three weeks four miles away from me. I don't drive, buses don't exist after the time the clinic starts (6pm) and so it'd take big planning, something which to be honest I don't have the time for with said family member very ill.
Wtf? then don't post anything if your not willing to accept criticism. Fair enough, maybe i was a bit sacarstic and loads of people bled when they r on it etc, but your not everyone and a trip down to the doctors only makes sense:rolleyes:
Reply 6
Sharp_Shooter
Wtf? then don't post anything if your not willing to accept criticism. Fair enough, maybe i was a bit sacarstic and loads of people bled when they r on it etc, but your not everyone and a trip down to the doctors only makes sense:rolleyes:

See above for the reason why I haven't, as yet. And I was asking for advice, not criticism :smile:
Prolonged bleeding can occur on Cerazette and so can missing periods all together. So I guess what you are experiencing is normal. Its a good idea to visit your doctor if you are not sure.

I've been on Cerazette 9 months now but haven't missed a single pill. I still have regular periods but they last longer then they did before I started on it, (they last about 9 days on average). I missed one period once too.
Reply 8
Purple-Sparkle
Prolonged bleeding can occur on Cerazette and so can missing periods all together. So I guess what you are experiencing is normal. Its a good idea to visit your doctor if you are not sure.

I've been on Cerazette 9 months now but haven't missed a single pill. I still have regular periods but they last longer then they did before I started on it, (they last about 9 days on average). I missed one period once too.

Thanks, that's the kind of thing I was looking for, obviously as I said, I will be going to see my doctor but it's difficult at the moment. I suspect the problem I've got at the moment might be a combination of missing two and also getting used to the changes in hormones (was on dianette - the pill with afaik the highest oestrogen content before) and the prolonged period thing. I just wanted to know if people had had similar experiences :smile:
I've been on Cerazette for just over a month now... I bled as normal when I first started taking it. But for the past 2 / 3 weeks now I've been not bleeding, but finding kind of brownish stuff (gunge would best describe it!) in my underwear every day... but not enough to wear a tampon etc. Its like I get at the very very end of my period. It started just around / just before the time I should have started my period and is still continuing now.... any thoughts of that anyone?
Reply 10
Anonymous
I've been on Cerazette for just over a month now... I bled as normal when I first started taking it. But for the past 2 / 3 weeks now I've been not bleeding, but finding kind of brownish stuff (gunge would best describe it!) in my underwear every day... but not enough to wear a tampon etc. Its like I get at the very very end of my period. It started just around / just before the time I should have started my period and is still continuing now.... any thoughts of that anyone?

Oh my gosh, exactly! Sometimes there's obvious blood (as in it's slightly more reddish, though this isn't common), sometimes it's just brownish (exactly as you described) and other times there's hardly anything, in my experience :smile: Does that sound like it? Only I'd been taking it for about 2 months till it started but other than that sounds exactly the same

Eww, yuck hehe
I'm not certain about this but I think my housemate was on that. She had trouble being on Microgynon; she kept getting headaches and stuff, so the doctor put her on Cerazette and she was so worried because she had absolutely no periods whatsoever, and it just messed up her periods quite a lot when she came off it. So although not the same symptoms, they are a bit funny with lots of bleeding or no bleeding at all.

I'd go to the doctors as soon as possible, or ring NHS direct like someone else suggested. Have you been having sex? Because if you have and have missed pills it might be something to do with that if you weren;t using condoms.

As an extra thought, I hope everything with your family is OK; its awful when family members aren't well and puts extra strain on everyone. If you need to chat, PM me :smile:
Reply 12
Kittennffc
I'm not certain about this but I think my housemate was on that. She had trouble being on Microgynon; she kept getting headaches and stuff, so the doctor put her on Cerazette and she was so worried because she had absolutely no periods whatsoever, and it just messed up her periods quite a lot when she came off it. So although not the same symptoms, they are a bit funny with lots of bleeding or no bleeding at all.

I'd go to the doctors as soon as possible, or ring NHS direct like someone else suggested. Have you been having sex? Because if you have and have missed pills it might be something to do with that if you weren;t using condoms.

As an extra thought, I hope everything with your family is OK; its awful when family members aren't well and puts extra strain on everyone. If you need to chat, PM me :smile:

No, I'm still a virgin although I'm on the pill just because I've a serious boyfriend of nearly 10 months and things may go *that* way unexpectedly so I thought it best rather than coming off the pill entirely after the Dianette issue I had, to continue taking something and be prepared :smile:

As for the family issue, well yknow it's hard to be told that the family member you're closest to has a serious incurable condition...this is why I've not been to the doctor yet mainly, because as I've said before, it would take a lot of planning to go to the clinic (I'd rather not see my GP as I don't trust his judgement - with good reason) which at the moment I don't really have the time or energy to do, and really my own health has been on the backburner of late :smile: Thanks for asking, and I might take you up on the PM offer :smile:
Reply 13
just curious because its been a while since i've been in the UK so the system has probably changed now...but can't you just change your GP as opposed to going to the clinic?
Reply 14
Elz
just curious because its been a while since i've been in the UK so the system has probably changed now...but can't you just change your GP as opposed to going to the clinic?

He's the only GP in my area :smile: I have a good GP at uni but that's 300 miles away and I couldn't really afford to go now, both from a financial standpoint and with everything else going on.
Reply 15
I was changed onto cerazette ages ago. I was told it was likely to stop my periods, which quite frankly I thought was a bonus. However it did the complete opposite. I was on it for 6 months and I bled the whole time I was on it. Not as heavy as a normal period but still it was a horrible period. I had been told to give it 3 months as my cycle could be messed up for this time. When I went back I told the doctor and he told me to stay on it as this was likely to stop. It didn't and I went back. He again said this was quite normal.

After 6 months I then thought I cannot put up with this any longer. I spoke to the nurse and she couldn't have been more sympathetic. She said the doctor should have changed me back sooner. She then put me back on my old Combined pill.

It caused me to have anaemia. So I'd definitely go and speak to your doctor if it continues. There are plenty of other POP's around and another may suit you better.
Reply 16
Vics
I was changed onto cerazette ages ago. I was told it was likely to stop my periods, which quite frankly I thought was a bonus. However it did the complete opposite. I was on it for 6 months and I bled the whole time I was on it. Not as heavy as a normal period but still it was a horrible period. I had been told to give it 3 months as my cycle could be messed up for this time. When I went back I told the doctor and he told me to stay on it as this was likely to stop. It didn't and I went back. He again said this was quite normal.

After 6 months I then thought I cannot put up with this any longer. I spoke to the nurse and she couldn't have been more sympathetic. She said the doctor should have changed me back sooner. She then put me back on my old Combined pill.

It caused me to have anaemia. So I'd definitely go and speak to your doctor if it continues. There are plenty of other POP's around and another may suit you better.

Thanks, that was helpful, especially as I am already quite anaemic. I was just surprised that it started after well just over a month or so. I knew that messed-up periods were a side-effect of Cerazette sometimes, so I started this thread to see if what I was experiencing was within the realms of 'normal' as other people have experienced it :smile: Another question, when you went to the doctor, did you have an exam or did he just put it right down to the cerazette?
I've been taking Cerazette for just over a year now. When I first started with it I did 'bleed' for about six weeks, it wasn't really as heavy as a period but it was a nuisance. However, it stopped and I think I had one normal period after that and then I haven't had anything since, apart from a little bit of really light spotting from time to time. Personally, that suits me fine, but I know that Cerazette can be a bit 'hit-and-miss' for women, in that it's ok for some but others just end up bleeding continually. If you're worried about the side effects then go and see somene - I've found that the practice nurses are generally a heck of a lot more sympathetic than the GP's ... specially the male ones.
Reply 18
Anonymous
Thanks, that was helpful, especially as I am already quite anaemic. I was just surprised that it started after well just over a month or so. I knew that messed-up periods were a side-effect of Cerazette sometimes, so I started this thread to see if what I was experiencing was within the realms of 'normal' as other people have experienced it :smile: Another question, when you went to the doctor, did you have an exam or did he just put it right down to the cerazette?

Do you mean an exam to check for the aneamia? If so she said that because I was bleeding for so long I probably had anaemia and she asked me some questions to clarify, things like did I always feel tired and stuff. She said that I did seem to have a mild form of anaemia and recommended iron tablets. She asked if I wanted a test to confirm, but I declined as I have a fear of needles and didn't want to have blood taken. She said if it continued when I changed back to Microgynon to go back and Then she would test me.

Hope I've been of some help.
A girl I work with has suffered with no periods for ages, then bleeding for weeks and weeks .... she put it down to changing her pill, but unfortunately it has ended up being more serious - endrometreosis (Im sure Iv spelt that incorrectly, sorry! :redface: ) - and it is worse for her now because she ignored it due to putting it down to being her pill.
She has just spent a few days in hospital :frown:

I don't intend to frighten you, I just want to make the point that you shouldn't just assume that your problems are due to the side effects of your pill, and if you're feeling uneasy (as you must be to be posting this thread) then go and have it checked out.

Go see your doctor :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest