The Student Room Group

Anyone thinking of Pharmacy at Sunderland?

Wondering if theres anybody thinking of doing the MPharm course at Sunderland Uni? I'm hoping to do it (if I manage with my exams) and would be cool to speak to some possible future class mates :smile:
Reply 1
Hey :biggrin: I've got an offer from Sunderland and am considering it. But depends on whether or not I get any more offers! I've currently only got Sunderland and Reading MPharm offers and am waiting to hear back from the rest
Reply 2

Original post by Sophuric acid
Wondering if theres anybody thinking of doing the MPharm course at Sunderland Uni? I'm hoping to do it (if I manage with my exams) and would be cool to speak to some possible future class mates :smile:

I was unsure of sunderland because of pharmacists telling me it was not good course. On open day students did not have positive views, and this also stated by someone on forum earlier in their opinion. I would really think about it first. Where else u applied?
Im currently studying the MPharm at Sunderland Uni.
Should you need any advice or answers, feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by x_Ex_Machina_x

How was first year in terms of work load? Were there a lot of group work/presentations?
Reply 5
Original post by LotusMD
How was first year in terms of work load? Were there a lot of group work/presentations?

Nope no group work or presentations

Workload.. hmm.. be prepared for a lot of reports in the first module. In the second module less reports but more content.
Reply 6
Original post by JSN
Nope no group work or presentations

Workload.. hmm.. be prepared for a lot of reports in the first module. In the second module less reports but more content.

Thanks :smile:! Can I ask why you chose Sunderland over the other universities? I'm having a tough time deciding whether to go to Manchester or Sunderland... I'm hearing a lot of negative reviews about Sunderland, but I love that the tuition fees are very low for international students. Also, how many Canadians were in your year for pharm?
Reply 7
Original post by LotusMD
Thanks :smile:! Can I ask why you chose Sunderland over the other universities? I'm having a tough time deciding whether to go to Manchester or Sunderland... I'm hearing a lot of negative reviews about Sunderland, but I love that the tuition fees are very low for international students. Also, how many Canadians were in your year for pharm?

I'll be honest with you, Manchester was my firm choice and Sunderland was my insurance. It was my insurance purely on the fact that the grades required were quite low.

Yeah i've heard the tuition fees for international students are quite low, but I wouldn't let that factor alone make you choose Sunderland. Manchester is an amazing university and if you have a good chance of getting I would say that your best of there. On a whole, Manchester is better than Sunderland in nearly every aspect haha.

Theres loads of Canadians in my year as well as every other year, you'd pretty much feel at home!
Reply 8
Original post by JSN
I'll be honest with you, Manchester was my firm choice and Sunderland was my insurance. It was my insurance purely on the fact that the grades required were quite low.

Yeah i've heard the tuition fees for international students are quite low, but I wouldn't let that factor alone make you choose Sunderland. Manchester is an amazing university and if you have a good chance of getting I would say that your best of there. On a whole, Manchester is better than Sunderland in nearly every aspect haha.

Theres loads of Canadians in my year as well as every other year, you'd pretty much feel at home!

Thanks! Haha I ended up firming Aston University at the end because their tuition was cheaper than Manchester's by £500 and it was closer to London. I really wanted to like Sunderland, but a lot of people didn't recommend it.
Reply 9
Original post by Sophuric acid

I put down sunderland as my insurance choice but ill probably end up going there :smile: what was your offer? Is sunderland your firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LotusMD

Not a lot of group work (unless you count grouping together to attempt to write the endless amount of reports you'll get) and no presentations.

Ill be totally honest with you, the amount of reports you're going to get is going to make things VERY hard if you're not on top of everything straight away. You're going to need to be EXTREMELY organised and dedicated to the course.
Original post by casper29

I was unsure of sunderland because of pharmacists telling me it was not good course. On open day students did not have positive views, and this also stated by someone on forum earlier in their opinion. I would really think about it first. Where else u applied?

I found that every pharmacist I spoke to regarding pharmacy courses told me not to do it, for one reason or another. Mostly, I think, due to the fact that its getting harder to find pharmacy jobs in this country. (All the more reason to do it and get a well paid job abroad, eh? :wink: )
Pharmacy students will always tell you not to do it because the course is stressful as hell. Trust me, I thought I could handle it...so wrong!
Sunderland, I can tell you, is a good pharmacy school, but you get out what you put in. If you're willing to work hard and put in all the hours, you'll love it.

Also, remember when you talk to past students or other pharmacists, they took a completely different course to the one you'll be doing. The new course started only a few years ago, if that. I'm doing things in my first year that the locum I work with didn't do until his third.

Ultimately, its up to you (of course!), but know that, whichever university you choose or whoever you speak to, its going to be entirely down to you and the effort you put into the course. Don't be persuaded by what others tell you. If its what you want to do, go for it.
Original post by crayon
I put down sunderland as my insurance choice but ill probably end up going there :smile: what was your offer? Is sunderland your firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I look forward to seeing you at Sunderland if this is where you end up!
If you ever need any advice on anything from the course to accommodation, you're more than welcome to send me a message. Id be more than happy to help :smile:
All the best!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Hi, I'm in my third year of the new pharmacy syllabus. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. =)
Original post by x_Ex_Machina_x

Hello, Was there any Canadian students your year? also is it a nice place to live? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending