The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

London living costs?

Hi. I am a parent hugely proud of my daughter for just being offered an unconditional place at a prestigious London university and trying to get my head round the finances. My main question is how much do students living in Central London need or expect per week for food and entertainment, over and above the already extortionate cost of accommodation? I suspect the student lifestyle is about to come as a shock to my somewhat spoiled daughter! Any advice from London students or parents as to what's the 'acceptable norm' for a weekly subsistence allowance would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by spoiledrotten
Hi. I am a parent hugely proud of my daughter for just being offered an unconditional place at a prestigious London university and trying to get my head round the finances. My main question is how much do students living in Central London need or expect per week for food and entertainment, over and above the already extortionate cost of accommodation? I suspect the student lifestyle is about to come as a shock to my somewhat spoiled daughter! Any advice from London students or parents as to what's the 'acceptable norm' for a weekly subsistence allowance would be greatly appreciated.

I had to do the same thing last year and my second child starts this year.

Once I knew the accommodation costs I added:
Supermarket/food costs (dependent on how catered their halls are).
Daily travel - she will be entitled to a student oyster card. Check charges (depending on her zones) on Transport for London website.
Lunch - I checked the university catering part of website and found out price of basic snack lunch as a max and a supermarket/Boots/Gregg's cheap sandwich as a minimum. Realistically I don't think they are going to take a packed lunch! My son gets hungry so I threw in the cost of a packet of crisps. Realistically £3 a day min.
Going out - not as expensive as we think. They drink cheaply. A lot but cheaply! They don't seem to go out to eat but do pick up kebabs or chips at 1am in the morning. I felt that £25 a week was tight but fair.
Toiletries etc. Girls will probably spend more than boys. My daughter will probably spend £20-£30 a term including the necessaries. I reckon my son spends £10 a term on basic cleaning products. However condoms are surprisingly expensive! (I don't want to think about how often he buys them!)
I thought I would carry on buying his clothes -which I have done - but he has spent a fair amount on required games kit (team kit etc). I have given him extra for this as needed. I will do the same for my daughter but will incorporate a basic clothing allowance in her budget. This amount will depend on individual circumstances. If she wants more money for clothes she will use babysitting money or go out less and so save elsewhere. I will buy coats and shoes etc as birthday/Christmas presents. £10.
Petty cash - coffees, laundrette (important!), newspaper (wishful thinking), photocopying, printing. £15.
Books - my son had a £400 bill as a Reading list start up cost (big expensive bio reference books) but he hasn't bought any since. He does have to pay for printing and photocopying.

Among my friends in similar London situations £90-£100 a week for those in non catered accommodation seems to be acceptable norm. £60-70 if in catered accommodation. PLUS weekly travel. The parents are picking up one off costs - travel home, games kit etc.

I know a few who are doing it on less but their children supplement their budget with regular paid work. My son is doing sciences and does not have time for a job. He works in the holidays but so far has used that money for travel. My daughter has regular babysitting and supplements her clothes and Wagamama dominated social life. As they get established at uni they will have to learn that this income may have to fund more than travel and clothes!

Hope these figures help. It is an expensive business!

Posted from TSR Mobile
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Is there any particular uni that you're thinking of? If so I can move this thread to that uni's subforum, where you'll get responses from students at that uni. Let me know if you'd like me to do that :smile:

On a side note, however, anyone who pays for condoms needs their head examining - you can get them free in loads of plates, starting with freshers fair!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by BioBioMum
I had to do the same thing last year and my second child starts this year.

Once I knew the accommodation costs I added:
Supermarket/food costs (dependent on how catered their halls are).
Daily travel - she will be entitled to a student oyster card. Check charges (depending on her zones) on Transport for London website.
Lunch - I checked the university catering part of website and found out price of basic snack lunch as a max and a supermarket/Boots/Gregg's cheap sandwich as a minimum. Realistically I don't think they are going to take a packed lunch! My son gets hungry so I threw in the cost of a packet of crisps. Realistically £3 a day min.
Going out - not as expensive as we think. They drink cheaply. A lot but cheaply! They don't seem to go out to eat but do pick up kebabs or chips at 1am in the morning. I felt that £25 a week was tight but fair.
Toiletries etc. Girls will probably spend more than boys. My daughter will probably spend £20-£30 a term including the necessaries. I reckon my son spends £10 a term on basic cleaning products. However condoms are surprisingly expensive! (I don't want to think about how often he buys them!)
I thought I would carry on buying his clothes -which I have done - but he has spent a fair amount on required games kit (team kit etc). I have given him extra for this as needed. I will do the same for my daughter but will incorporate a basic clothing allowance in her budget. This amount will depend on individual circumstances. If she wants more money for clothes she will use babysitting money or go out less and so save elsewhere. I will buy coats and shoes etc as birthday/Christmas presents. £10.
Petty cash - coffees, laundrette (important!), newspaper (wishful thinking), photocopying, printing. £15.
Books - my son had a £400 bill as a Reading list start up cost (big expensive bio reference books) but he hasn't bought any since. He does have to pay for printing and photocopying.

Among my friends in similar London situations £90-£100 a week for those in non catered accommodation seems to be acceptable norm. £60-70 if in catered accommodation. PLUS weekly travel. The parents are picking up one off costs - travel home, games kit etc.

I know a few who are doing it on less but their children supplement their budget with regular paid work. My son is doing sciences and does not have time for a job. He works in the holidays but so far has used that money for travel. My daughter has regular babysitting and supplements her clothes and Wagamama dominated social life. As they get established at uni they will have to learn that this income may have to fund more than travel and clothes!

Hope these figures help. It is an expensive business!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,
Huge thanks for the reply. Yes I think you're wise to suggest an itemised budget. Although the 'spoiledrotten' refers to how I often feel about my daughter (my own fault I know!), she has worked weekends and holidays for the past year or so anyway so is more than capable of earning extra money if she feels short-changed by us, although currently she is protesting that her course, being a creative one, is very labour-intensive so she doesn't want to have to work in term-time (!). I guess that one will become evident after she starts. The accommodation costs are an astronomical £9k per year for room only in self-catering halls although I hope that will reduce as she moves out of halls into shared private accommodation in year 2.
All the best to you and your family!
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
Is there any particular uni that you're thinking of? If so I can move this thread to that uni's subforum, where you'll get responses from students at that uni. Let me know if you'd like me to do that :smile:

On a side note, however, anyone who pays for condoms needs their head examining - you can get them free in loads of plates, starting with freshers fair!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,
It's at one of the UAL colleges where the halls are self-catering but you have to commit to a full 51 weeks at around £9k for the year for room only! So yes please if you think it's a good idea to move the thread that will hopefully help! Many thanks.
Hi there,
It's at one of the UAL colleges where the halls are self-catering but you have to commit to a full 51 weeks at around £9k for the year for room only! So yes please if you think it's a good idea to move the thread that will hopefully help! Many thanks.

I've moved it over :smile:

You'd be mad to take out a 51 week tenancy for an undergrad. They're the norm for postgrads, who are typically on 12 month masters programmes, but for undergrads 38-42 week contracts are the norm.

They do appear to have a variety of halls with 42 week contracts - I'd go for one of those, even if it means travelling a bit further http://www.arts.ac.uk/media/arts/study-at-ual/accommodation/documents/UAL-Accommodation-Guide-2013-14.pdf
Reply 6
Thanks for moving it over and already lots of useful replies! She's going to Lime Grove LCF so sadly the Costume Store is the nearest by a long way... Trust me she will be renting privately after that which I know is way cheaper in Acton!
Thanks for moving it over and already lots of useful replies! She's going to Lime Grove LCF so sadly the Costume Store is the nearest by a long way... Trust me she will be renting privately after that which I know is way cheaper in Acton!

I'm not the one to ask (I've no relationship with UAL) but do check the demographics of people who actually live at the CostumeStore - there's a possibility that it's mainly postgrads and internationals with more money than sense, which wouldn't be a lot of fun for her. It's certainly going to be out of the reach of all but those with wealthy and generous parents - even full student finance wouldn't cover the cost by the sounds of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Good thought! She says she wants to live in halls to have a full student experience and then rent privately with friends she makes in years 2 and 3 (same as I did in my uni years). You're absolutely right even the full loan wouldn't cover the accommodation. And the very fact they make you take a 51 week contract at the Costume Store suggests they are expecting mainly foreign students... Many thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending