The Student Room Group

If you don't go to Oxford or Cambridge then your Uni is crap.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014/reputation-ranking/range/91-100

According to THE.

Imperial has a score of 20 out of 100.
LSE is rated 12.
UCL is 11.
King's College? Holy crap it's only 6.

If you can, try and get into Harvard or MIT.

Scroll to see replies

I DO go to Cambridge and even I think this thread is ****
Lol. There's probably an element of truth in this.
WTF, according to that list there's like 5 good Universities in the world?
Reply 4
Original post by ddtown
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014/reputation-ranking/range/91-100

According to THE.

Imperial has a score of 20 out of 100.
LSE is rated 12.
UCL is 11.
King's College? Holy crap it's only 6.

If you can, try and get into Harvard or MIT.

Here's the thing though. That's mainly a research survey for all subjects. Post-graduate work in other words. Certainly if you do Law at O****d, it beats every other university including my beloved Cambridge. But LSE might be best for one specific subject (perhaps something business-related); Imperial maybe for Engineering?

NatSci as a whole is certainly better at Cambridge.

And I call bull**** on the survey. Yale is miles ahead of Harvard. And the Oxbridge supervision system beats everything else. You can do much better in a class of three (your typical Arts supe at Cambridge) than in a class of a hundred or a thousand (your typical Arts lecture at HYPSM)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Depends what you look at. On the QS World University Ranking, Imperial and UCL both beat Oxford...
I think you mean Crap. I attend Crap University and have been nothing but pleased with the education I'm receiving here.
Reply 7
Original post by honeywhite
Here's the thing though. That's mainly a research survey for all subjects. Post-graduate work in other words. Certainly if you do Law at O****d, it beats every other university including my beloved Cambridge. But LSE might be best for one specific subject (perhaps something business-related); Imperial maybe for Engineering?

NatSci as a whole is certainly better at Cambridge.

And I call bull**** on the survey. Yale is miles ahead of Harvard. And the Oxbridge supervision system beats everything else. You can do much better in a class of three (your typical Arts supe at Cambridge) than in a class of a hundred or a thousand (your typical Arts lecture at HYPSM)

LOL. Do you go to Yale or something? And, I've been in multiple arts/literature courses with only 1-4 other people....
Status doesn't mean much if you don't know what to do with it. I know Oxbridge grads who haven't got jobs because once they finished uni they just bummed about and continued living off the bank of mum and dad. Its swings and roundabouts for everyone.
This ranking favours only universities which have a long history of international fame among the academia.
I think you mean "If you don't go to Cambridge then your Uni is crap".

Oxford is plebeian tier and people need to stop putting it in the same category as Cambridge.

Harvard and MIT are also massively overrated and full of dumb (Sorry, I mean, "well rounded") Americlaps.
Reply 11
God the snobbery on this forum is unbelievable.
It is called reputation ranking. T
- 25 % of the answers cam from North America
- In the survey, scholars are questioned at the level of their specific subject discipline. They are not asked to create a ranking or to list a large range of institutions, but to name no more than 15 of those they believe to be the best, based on their own experience.

Alone those two answers give a good explanation adn will explain why e.g. Imperial will be allways behin Oxford, just because of the range of subjects.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tarquin Digby

Oxford is plebeian tier and people need to stop putting it in the same category as Cambridge.

Harvard and MIT are also massively overrated and full of dumb (Sorry, I mean, "well rounded") Americlaps.

Harvard and MIT should actually place far above Oxford or Cambridge.
British rankings like the Times or QS vastly overrate British universities for petty nationalistic reasons.

Americans universities take all the best students in the world, British universities take those too poor to afford an American education.
Reply 14
True, if you want to be PM or CEO of a FTSE100 company , you need dat oxbridge paper
Original post by Tarquin Digby

1000 pos reps to you :lol:
Original post by DarthVador
British rankings like the Times or QS vastly overrate British universities for petty nationalistic reasons.

Americans universities take all the best students in the world, British universities take those too poor to afford an American education.

It's a well known fact that Americans are pretty dumb/not as intelligent as British students. Their first year of university is what we do at A-Level. And have you seen those SAT papers that are supposedly 'hard'? They're a joke.
You might want to rethink your point :lol:
Reply 17
So much snobbery in this thread. Yes the SAT papers are a joke but have you actually looked at the university teaching itself?
Can't believe some people have the audacity to agree with a guy like Tarquin...
Original post by suzylemonade
It's a well known fact that Americans are pretty dumb/not as intelligent as British students. Their first year of university is what we do at A-Level. And have you seen those SAT papers that are supposedly 'hard'? They're a joke.
You might want to rethink your point :lol:

Orientals all the way!

UCAS and the British Council have pointed out that an A in GCE A-level equals to merely a C in Hong Kong A-level.
Original post by DarthVador

American schools take mostly American students even with postgraduates. 'All the best students in the world'? No.

Quick Reply

Latest