The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Year abroad course at Lancaster, need AAA, if I get lower is there no chance for me?

So my offer for the year abroad course for Biology is AAA. If I get lower than that am I definitely not allowed to go on this year abroad course? I really want to do it, but I'm being realistic, sometimes regardless of how much effort and planning I put into an exam, I may end up not doing so well. For example, an English exam I took, I scored straight A's all year and studied months in advance, on the day I misinterpreted the question unknowingly and scored a low C (resitting now). I heard of somebody being allowed onto an AAA abroad course with ABC so is there any possibility?
Reply 1
Don't worry. If you get on study abroad course, that means that you are guaranteed a study abroad placement, provided that you get good enough grades in your first year. This doesn't mean that you can't get a placement if you do a standard Biology course (which should have lower entry requiremnts than study abroad course).
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Every study abroad application is different as they are based on your department within the University. However, I study Sociology at Lancaster University, I'm in my first year and I didn't enter the University on AAA but I am going to study abroad for a year in New York.

It really does depend on your department and what their requirements are but I've had no trouble so far with my study abroad application, they gave my host University in NY a transcript of my year so far (none of which had AAA) and they still accepted me.

So really, don't stress yourself!
Reply 3
Like the other people said it depends on department, but I got predicted AAA and applied for the study abroad computer science course, but when I didn't achieve my predicted grades I got moved off study abroad and offered the 4 year undergad masters instead. The undergrad masters has a higher entry requirement, but there's less places for the study abroad course so it's actually more competitive.

I know that you need to be averaging a minimum 2:1 in your first year to qualify for the study abroad course even if you already achieved your A-level offer, so there may be a couple people who didn't make it and you can take their place if you let the department know you're interested in that.
Original post by Magenta96
So my offer for the year abroad course for Biology is AAA. If I get lower than that am I definitely not allowed to go on this year abroad course? I really want to do it, but I'm being realistic, sometimes regardless of how much effort and planning I put into an exam, I may end up not doing so well. For example, an English exam I took, I scored straight A's all year and studied months in advance, on the day I misinterpreted the question unknowingly and scored a low C (resitting now). I heard of somebody being allowed onto an AAA abroad course with ABC so is there any possibility?

Sorry for the late reply, but I may be able to help with my experience!

I'm a first year biologist who originally applied for the programme without the year abroad. However we could opt for the study abroad scheme mid-way into the year. I achieved A*AB and was accepted and allocated my 2nd university choice in Canada for second year.

Those with higher A-level grades may get allocation priority over others, however it's mainly based upon first year results. The biomedical and life sciences division asks for a minimum of 2:1 in your major subject, however it's a little lower for your minor(s). I don't think they're particularly lenient though.

So I reckon there's a decent chance even if you don't quite get that AAA. But I wouldn't worry, I'm sure you'll smash your exams and be accepted anyway!

If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask as I'm partially through the SA application process! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Magenta96

Hey there,

Whilst I'm not a Biology student, as a First Year I have looked into a study abroad option for my own subject (Economics) and from what I understand it is like HenryLinguistic's post above :smile:

This is that although priority will be given to those with AAA+ at A Level, if you perform well in your modules (i.e. at least 2:1 - normally in your facilitating majors) and meet any subject pre-requisites (e.g. for Economics you need A level Maths) then it is likely that they'll still look to include you in the Study Abroad scheme :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending