The Student Room Group

Fitness bros, can you overtrain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goldenfish
I never anywhere stated what I said was fact, you assumed that :wink:

And why would I say i was wrong when I'm not?

Bodyweight exercises still give better functional strength compared to any weight lifting exercises.
If you don't agree, you don't have to. Doesn't change anything :smile:

How do they? Any bodyweight exercise can be done with additional weight. More weight = more gains.

Unless you're strictly talking about the olympic weightlifting lifts... In which case there may be more of an argument. Because your current statement could be easily refuted by a Key Stage 2 student.
Reply 61
Original post by In One Ear
Well what do you mean when you say mid reps? Think that needs to be defined before people tell you how bad/good your program is.

I went from 5 to ten reps
Original post by redferry
I went from 5 to ten reps

Well there you go then, this is a really good rep range for building muscle. Not optimal for strength development, but great for muscle gain!
Reply 63
Original post by In One Ear
Well there you go then, this is a really good rep range for building muscle. Not optimal for strength development, but great for muscle gain!

I found I was gaining less but burning more fat which was my aim really!
Original post by redferry
I found I was gaining less but burning more fat which was my aim really!

That will be down to your caloric intake. Obviously you must be in a surplus the majority of the time to see meaningful muscle gain which will not allow you to lose meaningful amounts of fat.

This sort of training will preserve your muscle though whilst you strip the fat away which ultimately is what most people are looking to achieve.
I never anywhere stated what I said was fact, you assumed that :wink:

And why would I say i was wrong when I'm not?

Because bodyweight exercises are better then weights in general.

You seriously need to read up about the subject, you cant wrongly comment on a topic that is a lifestyle for people in this community then not expect them to roll over and agree just because you play the nice "oh its an opinion" card.

Your comments on this topic carry an air of superiority even though they couldnt be more wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nvmthename
You seriously need to read up about the subject, you cant wrongly comment on a topic that is a lifestyle for people in this community then not expect them to roll over and agree just because you play the nice "oh its an opinion" card.

Your comments on this topic carry an air of superiority even though they couldnt be more wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please explain why I'm wrong?
Please explain why I'm wrong?

Not sure if troll or mentally challenged...
You can't overtrain on body weight squats... Or it's unlikely to be an issue.

Train squats 2-3 days a week 50 odd max. Depending how fit and strong you are.. Could start on 10 kgs? So 5 either side of barbell. It's hard to lift a lot without a squat rack. I currently only do 75 squats a week at 20 kgs. I want to do more but no rack :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also like, doing 100 squats takes a lot of time and doing repeated movement constantly probably is worse for your knees. Reason for doing weighted is so you can get same benefit but more quickly because you're lifting more with your legs for less reps. When I first started doing sit-ups it was reasonably difficult to do 100-200 crunches. But then it wasn't that hard eventually so I would have to do probably 500 to make any difference.. decided to do weighted sit-ups. Went up from 5kgs to 10kgs now and now I do about 50 of those 3 times a week min. Plenty of ways to up your workouts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by illusionz
Not sure if troll or mentally challenged...

I'm probably mentally challenged :frown:

He says that weight lifting is better then bodyweight for functional strength, but doesn't really say why, maybe you'd like to? He claims I can't be more wrong, care to give reasons other then just bashing me? :holmes:
I've given my reasons, which are all valid, show me an athlete who is stronger then a gymnast..
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm probably mentally challenged :frown:

He says that weight lifting is better then bodyweight for functional strength, but doesn't really say why, maybe you'd like to? He claims I can't be more wrong, care to give reasons other then just bashing me? :holmes:
I've given my reasons, which are all valid, show me an athlete who is stronger then a gymnast..

Do you seriously think that gymnasts don't do weight training?

What about cyclists?

Tell me how they got those physiques with nothing more than bodyweight training?

The simply fact is that your body is not heavy enough to promote serious strength increases.
(edited 10 years ago)

Tell me how he got that physique with nothing more than bodyweight training?

According to world renowned gymnast Coachs, no they don't. I think a world class coach who trains Olympic gymnasts knows a bit more then you :smile:

How he got that physique? Bodyweight exercises of course.

If you think you're incapable of getting that much muscle mass from bodyweight exercises, I think you're the one that's mentally challenged! And also don't understand how to utilise body levers to increase pressure on muscles for mass gain (look up the fortress on YouTube for a someone with bigger mass solely from bodyweight exercises).

But, you obviously don't have much knowledge When it comes to exercise other then weight lifting, like the other one that was arguing with me.

I'll also post some questions / answers by world renowned gymnastics coach Christopher Sommer who talks about how gymnasts have a physique like that if need be.
(edited 10 years ago)
According to world renowned gymnast Coachs, no they don't. I think a world class coach who trains Olympic gymnasts knows a bit more then you :smile:

How he got though physique? Bodyweight exercises of course.

Some do use weights. You're just a blind fool if you insist otherwise. Any exercise you can do with your bodyweight, you can add more weight to and get stronger. You can get incredible functional strength with compound exercises. You have clearly never lifted a weight in your life.

What about cyclists?

Boxers?

Rugby players?
Football players?

All professional sportsmen and women lift weights as part of their training.

Heck even Mo Farah squats.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/apr/19/camp-mo-farah-london-marathon

Tell me how they got those physiques with nothing more than bodyweight training?
Some do use weights. You're just a blind fool if you insist otherwise. Any exercise you can do with your bodyweight, you can add more weight to and get stronger. You can get incredible functional strength with compound exercises. You have clearly never lifted a weight in your life.

What about cyclists?

Boxers?

Rugby players?
Football players?

All professional sportsmen and women lift weights as part of their training.

Heck even Mo Farah squats.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/apr/19/camp-mo-farah-london-marathon

But you just said some? Which means some DONT, which further proves my point that you can gain that physique without weights.

You don't seem to understand what I'm saying, this is the final post I'm making as it's becoming quite irrelevant.

You can get a lot of functional strength with weight lifting, you can get a high bodyweight to strength ratio with lifting weights. I didn't deny that in any of my posts.

But you can get HIGHER levels of functional strength, and a higher bodyweight to strength ratio with only bodyweight exercises not utilising weights.

I think you need to do some more research mate, mo farah doesn't have a high bodyweight to strength ratio, strengthhe's an endurance athlete.
(edited 10 years ago)
But you just said some? Which means some DONT, which further proves my point that you can gain that physique without weights.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point which started this debate was

Bodyweight exercises still give better functional strength compared to any weight lifting exercises.

Which is simply retarded. Even if you want to do the same movements, add weight and you get stronger. DOING THE SAME MOVEMENT YOU WOULD DO WITH YOUR BODYWEIGHT.

Weight training is better than bodyweight training. End of. If you want to perform the same exercises that are difficult with your bodyweight, such as pistol squats, you can add MORE WEIGHT, and the exercise becomes HARDER, making you STRONGER.

You've now resorted into trying to change the argument when it's clear you're losing. Powerlifters are stronger than gymnasts. Chris Hoy (or any short distance cyclist) will have a stronger lower body.
You can get a lot of functional strength with weight lifting, you can get a high bodyweight to strength ratio with lifting weights. I didn't deny that in any of my posts.

But you can get HIGHER levels of functional strength, and a higher bodyweight to strength ratio with only bodyweight exercises not utilising weights.

I think you need to do some more research mate, mo farah doesn't have a high bodyweight to strength ratio, he's an endurance athlete.

Again you're changing the argument. Make your ****ing mind up. Jesus christ.

You're just completely clueless.

"But you can get HIGHER levels of functional strength, and a higher bodyweight to strength ratio with only bodyweight exercises not utilising weights."

Do you honestly think that if you added 5kg to your clothing whilst doing your 'bodyweight' exercise, you'd suddenly get much heavier and not much stronger? Reducing your strength/weight ratio. Are you honestly that idiotic?

Again, re Mo Farah, you were saying that you get better functional strength from bodyweight exercises (a laughable concept). I showed you plenty of examples of professional athletes who need FUNCTIONAL strength, who lift weights.
Reply 77

What about cyclists?

The simply fact is that your body is not heavy enough to promote serious strength increases.

C'mon everyone knows that Chris Hoy got them legs from doing 100 bodyweight squats a day :wink:

Tyrion, I would recommend like others have mentioned doing weighted squats as bodyweight have now just become an endurance exercise.
The point which started this debate was

Which is simply retarded. Even if you want to do the same movements, add weight and you get stronger. DOING THE SAME MOVEMENT YOU WOULD DO WITH YOUR BODYWEIGHT.

Weight training is better than bodyweight training. End of. If you want to perform the same exercises that are difficult with your bodyweight, such as pistol squats, you can add MORE WEIGHT, and the exercise becomes HARDER, making you STRONGER.

You've now resorted into trying to change the argument when it's clear you're losing. Powerlifters are stronger than gymnasts. Chris Hoy (or any short distance cyclist) will have a stronger lower body.

Gymnasts are the strongest athletes on earth. They have a much higher bodyweight to strength ratio (which also started the original argument) then both cyclists and power lifters and also have more functional strength.
Doesn't matter that chris hoy has stronger legs, you obviously don't know what functional strength is.

You also don't understand what makes bodyweight exercises better. Do some research on both subjects before you start bashing me for having more knowledge then you.
Gymnasts are the strongest athletes on earth. They have a much higher bodyweight to strength ratio (which also started the original argument) then both cyclists and power lifters and also have more functional strength.
Doesn't matter that chris hoy has stronger legs, you obviously don't know what functional strength is.

You also don't understand what makes bodyweight exercises better. Do some research on both subjects before you start bashing me for having more knowledge then you.

The senior partner at my work once told me never to try and reason with an idiot. Just let them have their way.

I think it's time I took his advice.

I'll just reiterate a point you seem not to be able to understand;

Do you honestly think that if you added 5kg to your clothing whilst doing your 'bodyweight' exercise, you'd suddenly get much heavier and not much stronger? Reducing your strength/weight ratio. Are you honestly that idiotic?

Finally, find me a powerlifter and a gymnast in the same weight catagory. The powerlifter will be stronger. Every time.

Quick Reply

Latest