The Student Room Group

2nd Undergraduate Degree after a BSc & MSc?

After a poor attendance coupled with problems with student finance during my 2nd year, I obtained a 2.2 Honours in BSc mathematics which was relatively close to a 2.1, like a fool I didn't appeal. I then stayed on to do my MSc Applied Mathematics after being rejected for MSc Mathematics/ theoretical physics elsewhere and I am currently en route for a Distinction (above 70%). However the MSc it self doesn't feel very challenging and my hope of doing a PhD are being crushed by my lecturer who is telling me that I will not get accepted onto a PhD studentship programme for theoretical physics/ computational physics.My MSc covers 'generic' scientific fields such as computational fluid dynamics, electrodynamics, acoustics, chaos modelling, and some lesser known mathematical fields of inverse problems and programming in visual basic (vba really?) and some even more less appealing and boring courses on risk management, finite element analysis and reliability & optimisation engineering.
I was funded by student finance for my undergraduate degree, I saved and struggled to fund my MSc, which so happens to be a course that I am not enjoying as much as I hoped, and is obviously not as challenging on the mind as I expected. My university emphasise numerical methods of partial differential equations for a lot of there courses and I have begun to understand through continued studying that my passion lies in pure mathematics and physics which brings me to my point of question.

I was thinking of applying for a Bsc/Msci in Theoretical Physics/ Mathematical Physics but i cannot fund myself for a 2nd Full-time Undergraduate degree and to my understanding Student Finance do not fund 2nd Undergraduate degrees. Would I be better off trying to apply for a 2nd part-time Undergraduate degree, a 2nd part-time MSc/MRes degree or wait and hope I can land a Phd studentship in one of these areas.

I do study theoretical physics/mathematics externally in my spare time because I enjoy it that much, my professor knows this also. Any advice on my situation would be wonderful and sorry for the length of this post but I know my passion lies here and I would happily spend the rest of my life studying this field and a job in a research position.

Quick Reply

Latest