The Student Room Group

Preparing halogenoalkanes from an alcohol

could someone please give the procedure for the haloalkane preparation from alcohol. do we actually use conc. sulphuric acid for the preparation of bromoalkanes and iodoalkanes as stated in ''Edexcel AS Chemistry students book'' page-221 unit 2 OR we use conc. phosphoric acid as using sulphuric acid would oxidise the halide ion to its halogen.
Also when do we heat the mixture and when do we cool it down during the preparation?
Original post by arkajyotig
could someone please give the procedure for the haloalkane preparation from alcohol. do we actually use conc. sulphuric acid for the preparation of bromoalkanes and iodoalkanes as stated in ''Edexcel AS Chemistry students book'' page-221 unit 2 OR we use conc. phosphoric acid as using sulphuric acid would oxidise the halide ion to its halogen.
Also when do we heat the mixture and when do we cool it down during the preparation?

:colone::colone::colone::colone: hehehe i dont help people :colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone:

lol just gooogle it orko!
Reply 2
Original post by Paras Agarwal
:colone::colone::colone::colone: hehehe i dont help people :colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone:

lol just gooogle it orko!

stupid paras......i didnt ask for ur help. r u still sitting with ur ipad and hoshil is getting jealous? anyways howz life man?finding AS hard huh?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by arkajyotig
stupid paras......i didnt ask for ur help. r u still sitting with ur ipad and hoshil is getting jealous? anyways howz life man?finding AS hard huh?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

hey man..great talking to u..lol u havent changed a bit man..! life is good.. AS is nice..i like it..physics is the killer though..

how are you finding AS?
Reply 4
Original post by Paras Agarwal
hey man..great talking to u..lol u havent changed a bit man..! life is good.. AS is nice..i like it..physics is the killer though..

how are you finding AS?

haha AS physics is killer.....unit 1 is so bad although i find unit much easier.......chem unit 2 is much worse-so many oxidation reactions lol. maths and english is easy though....prepared for the chem 3b paper on
7th?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: and anyways nice selfie...:cool:
(edited 10 years ago)
Lol ur an idiot!! I am all set for chem..its physics now!! :biggrin: you must have crammed full on ready now!! Lol where is your selfie. . Which units of maths u sitting?? And which exam boards?
Reply 6
hahaha.......i have crammed some stuffs in chem.....my selfie has gone for a holiday......i m doing 6units of maths-c1c2c3c4m1m2. im doing GCE maths, IAL chem and physics, CIEenglish and art.
Eh so many exam boards! Anyway good luck bruh! Keep cramming :biggrin:
Reply 8
Dehydrate alcohol to form alkene and then react the alkene with a hydrogen halide to form halogeboalkane.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest