The Student Room Group

PPE?

Hello all,
I have to decide my A level course in the coming week.
I'm stuck over five, these are:
History (early)
Politics
Economics
Philosophy and Ethics
English Lit
The top four are the most likely and history is a dead certain.
As you may have guessed I'm looking at taking PPE, the problem is everyone has said that it is a VERY large workload. Although I'm happy to work I don't want it to become that I'm working day and night for two years solid. Are the four subjects very hard together? Is it necessary for me to take all of the 3 middle ones in order to be competitive for a course? As well as this, i'm predicted A/A* at maths IGCSE but I greatly dislike and struggle with the subject, will this be a problem?
Final issue is that besides Oxford and York I don't know many Unis that offer it so if you know any could you let me know?
Thanks.
Hi, for PPE you really need to consider taking maths A-Level! It's a requirement for some universities, and others like Oxford say it's recommended, but that 90% of successful candidates at least have the AS.

Looking at your other subjects, bear in mind that it's not necessary to take politics, philosophy or economics at A-level to do PPE. You basically want maths, an essay based subject (history is often recommended for the political/economic context) and then whatever else you want. I'd go for something like:

Maths
History
Politics/Economics
English Lit/ Philosophy and Ethics

Bear in mind too that philosophy and ethics is actually Religious Studies A-level, and will be listed as such on UCAS.

All of that said I know people who will be studying PPE next year with a whole range of subjects, so apart from the maths I wouldn't worry too much! :redface: my subjects are maths, physics, history and philosophy and ethics :tongue:

University wise PPE is offered by Oxford, Durham, Manchester, York, Warwick and Lancaster, and some others - Essex I think? But I didn't look there! Exeter do a course called 'Philosophy of the political economy' which is confusingly similar, and UCL's ESPS is another similar course - kind of European PPE with a language.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't like Maths, PPE isn't the course for you. I don't do it but everyone who does has told me that the Economics is highly mathematical and not at all like A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For PPE you don't actually have to do any of the three disciplines. However, I would recommend you take Economics. Politics and Philosophy are not required as long as you are willing to read around them. I'd definitely recommend History, and Maths (which for some is a requirement, for others it isn't, but nearly everyone takes it). If you do not like Maths, you have to consider that PPE is not the degree for you. I'd recommend: History, Economics, Maths, and one other which is at least respectable and you think you would both enjoy it, and be good it. I'd then recommend you take History, Economics, and Maths for A2.

Quick Reply

Latest