The Student Room Group

Access course into university for Aerospace/Aeronautical engineering?

Hey people, a little advice here please...

So I did a year at sixth form and chose the sciences but I messed about and failed my first year (due to skipping lessons, always too busy for revising, etc.).
So after that year I just became an electrician to make money, but now, at 22, I regret making that decision. So uni is by goal!!

I will be doing an 'Access to Higher Education Course Science and Engineering Level 3 Diploma' to get into university for Aerospace and Aeronautical Engineering - but I have come across a big problem: a lot of the universities I have contacted don't accept these Diploma's.

- So what uni's accept these Diploma's (Or how can I find them)?
- Top universities for aerospace/aeronautical engineering degrees (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland)?
- Any other advice (would be much appreciated)

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated :smile:

Adam
Reply 1
Original post by AdamTasker123
Hey people, a little advice here please...

So I did a year at sixth form and chose the sciences but I messed about and failed my first year (due to skipping lessons, always too busy for revising, etc.).
So after that year I just became an electrician to make money, but now, at 22, I regret making that decision. So uni is by goal!!

I will be doing an 'Access to Higher Education Course Science and Engineering Level 3 Diploma' to get into university for Aerospace and Aeronautical Engineering - but I have come across a big problem: a lot of the universities I have contacted don't accept these Diploma's.

- So what uni's accept these Diploma's (Or how can I find them)?
- Top universities for aerospace/aeronautical engineering degrees (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland)?
- Any other advice (would be much appreciated)

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated :smile:

Adam

you're best contacting a lot of universities and asking them what they would prefer. Usually they ask that you have additional requirements i.e. A-level Maths + the diploma. Otherwise if that's not possible for you I would advise doing a engineering foundation year.
Reply 2
Lots of universities accept Access course diplomas for engineering, but the 'higher-ranked' ones tend to want you to do a foundation year as part of the course. Personally, I want to (and have applied and received offers for) do a foundation year because I simply don't think that you learn enough of the material in a one year Access course (I feel like it's designed simply to get you the marks to get into uni - it doesn't really explain much of the theory), so I'll feel a lot more comfortable going over the basics again - albeit in more detail this time.

It's up to you, really. Most people on my Access course don't want to do a foundation year because of the extra time and money it will cost, and that's fair enough. There are plenty of universities that accept Access students without wanting them to do a foundation year.
Reply 3
Hey thanks for the reassurance of the acceptance for the access course because i was getting weary about it! xD
Reply 4
Hey Adam I'm in a similar situation to you, 22 years old with no A-levels and hoping to do Aerospace engineering at uni. I was wondering who you are doing your access course with as I'm looking at doing something similar. If it's any help when I contacted Southampton university regarding access courses they were a bit vague but simply told me to take one that is relevant to engineering, they also said all of the maths and physics modules would have to be passed with a distinction grade.

Quick Reply

Latest