The Student Room Group

International Women's Day - What changes would you like to see over the next year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the mezzil
Whilst that is uncomfortable and strange, it is not illegal. Maybe he thought you both were attractive? How many times though do you get random people coming up to you and photographing you? Are you a celebrity?

If that guy kept doing it, it would be classed as harrassement. Report him next time.

But taking a picture of a fully clothed woman in public is although weird, legal. (And who jacks off to clothed women anyway? :s )

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it doesn't happen regularly, but it's happened a few times and it is very weird. Even if he thought we were attractive, he could have at least asked. I just think it's really rude

Plenty of people, some people get off on the fact the other person had no say in it/ you "stole" the photo. It's really odd
Feminism to be eradicated and Equality to be implemented in certain societies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I've addressed this on so many threads but most of those issues are caused by patriarchy, so dismantling that would address them. Plus when you compare mens issues to women's issues, on the whole, it's like comparing a sprained ankle to a broken leg. I'm not saying it isn't bad, but men don't have the same level of institutional sexism against them that women do

This is notion of the 'patriarchy' is ****ing hilarious. So you think that this invisible system that has been set up by men in order to benefit men is now actually the cause of mens problems and is the reason why men are disadvantaged in certain areas. The so called system that is implementing quotas for women, gives women less lenient prison sentences and more funding for womens cancers amongst many other benefits. Yeah, okay then.
Original post by Algorithm69
I doubt you'd find many people who agree with you, and the consequences for things like CCTV, news reporters, tourists, amateur photographers, instagram whores etc would be severe. After all, I'm not arguing a guy can follow a woman around and photograph her after she has protested, or lift up her skirt, or pull down her top, I'm arguing that taking a photograph of a woman while she is in her natural clothed states, in public, should not be illegal.

CCTV is different, I'm on about random people taking photographs. Personally I dislike the state of the press, I think journalists go too far, so that doesn't bother me. Why would you want to take a photo of a random woman (or man)
Great so this thread has turned into an attack on feminists thread...
Original post by fallen_acorns
In the Uk:

I would love to see further advancements made to women within minority ethnic and religious groups. I volunteer a lot within support communities, and the number of women who I come across who have experienced domestic violence, abusive relationships, oppressive families - within some communities is still quite shocking. When you have women coming in and saying 'A member of my family knocked me unconscious.. but that's ok, its just the way it is in our community' - its worrying.
More support for these women to be able to seek help, and have the ability to choose whether they want to remain in their current situations, or find a better environment, would be great progress. Empowering these women to think that, if they want, their circumstances can change, and they can create a different life for themselves - would be a big bonus.

Internationally:

Still very keen to see an improved focus on women in education.. Globally its came such a long way in the past 10-20 years, but there is still progress needed. Single sex toilets, safe routes to school, a removal of forced-marriages of pre-teen girls, and such, would all make a big difference. Every year things get better though, and bar a few set backs things are improving.

Yeah those things would all make such a difference! It's been great seeing the improvement of women in education worldwide but you're so right that there's more to be done!

I'd also like to see more feminist groups/women's organisations becoming open to trans women, and society as a whole being more receptive to them. I feel trans women often get forgotten about

Agreed, especially as they already are stigmatised we should be even more welcoming!

Original post by the mezzil
Anyway OP, I would like to see less oppression towards muslim girls with arranged marriages and the Burka.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's always a shock to think that arranged marriages still exist even in western societies.
Original post by Machop
This is notion of the 'patriarchy' is ****ing hilarious. So you think that this invisible system that has been set up by men in order to benefit men is now actually the cause of mens problems and is the reason why men are disadvantaged in certain areas. The so called system that is implementing quotas for women, gives women less lenient prison sentences and more funding for womens cancers amongst many other benefits. Yeah, okay then.

That's now how it works. Patriarchy is a system of beliefs that's been internalised. It benefits middle class white men, no one else. It discriminates against other men, as well as men on colour. Gender roles suggest men are big and strong, so men are worse criminals and so get harsher sentences. It couldn't possibly be the delicite kind little woman.

The cancer thing is a completely different issue. Cancers with the highest survival rates get the most funding, because it gets a good story. My aunt has lung cancer and has never smoked and lung cancer gets 5% of the funding. It has nothing to do with sexism

I agree with you on quotas
No it doesn't happen regularly, but it's happened a few times and it is very weird. Even if he thought we were attractive, he could have at least asked. I just think it's really rude

Plenty of people, some people get off on the fact the other person had no say in it/ you "stole" the photo. It's really odd

Where they by any chance white? :wink: If they were I can (sort of) understand why you think white men = oppression/ patriarchy/ evil.

Tell him to **** off next time? But we should not be censoring photography in public. That is totalitarianism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MOD NOTE: This thread is not discussing pros and cons of feminism. Any further debate on this issue or issues unrelated to what changes we want to see to help make women more equal by next IWD will be deleted and warned.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Yeah those things would all make such a difference! It's been great seeing the improvement of women in education worldwide but you're so right that there's more to be done!

Agreed, especially as they already are stigmatised we should be even more welcoming!

Yeah it's always a shock to think that arranged marriages still exist even in western societies.

Its a disgrace they are even allowed to happen in this country, nevermind worldwide! We seriously do need a crackdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greeneyedgirl

mm, especially when some of them are so basic.. I was talking to someone the other day, and being told how the rate of girls dropping out of school in Burkina Faso is incredibly high once girls get to puberty..

Reason being only communal mixed-sex toilets are offered, so for a verity of reasons including societal morals + privacy + fear of rape and such.. as soon as girls start puberty/getting their period, they refuse to go back to school..

Issues like this, would not take a huge amount to solve, but could vastly improve the lives of girls growing up in these communities.
Reply 51
When this thread is posted in 2015, I'd like to see fewer men denying the fact that women are indubitably more disadvantaged than men. Of course, there are a few areas where men are disadvantaged, but does having less funding for cancer or coming off worse out of a divorce really stack up against the recent stats about the amount of women who have been victims of sexual violence and harassment? http://www.unwomen.org/en/what-we-do/ending-violence-against-women/facts-and-figures
To those who believe that equality has been achieved in the UK, ask your female friends when was the last time they were groped in a club, or cat-called on the street. These are things which happen everyday, hence http://everydaysexism.com/. Please educate yourselves and raise your consciousness!
As for the word 'feminism', I think it radicalises an issue which is absolutely not radical: believing in equal rights for both genders. In the same way that those who don't believe that all races are fundamentally equal and that ethnic minorities are not at a disadvantage should be called 'racist', those who don't believe that both genders are fundamentally equal and that women are not at a disadvantage should be called 'misogynists'.
- I'd like to see there not be a *need* for International Women's Day in the future.
- I would like to see a world where men and women are equal in all senses of the matter, and making the treatment between men and women equal, where no-one gets treated like a special snowflake or a piece of crud just because of the genitals they've been born with.
- I would like paternity leave to become just as common a thing as maternity leave personally, so families can decide if they are financially better off with either option.
- I want there to be more flexibility with the having a family vs career argument. I personally think paternity leave may help this.
- I want society to generally agree that there *are* biological differences between the sexes, but as a society, we have grown beyond our basic biology.
- I would like sexual assault be taught about freely to both genders and stop it being such a taboo subject.
- I'd like female sexuality and ideals on women's sex life to stop being such a taboo, also.
- I'd like feminism to stop being such a dirty word, too, and destroy the stereotype that feminists are man-haters and want only feminism to apply when it works for them. There are a few who give feminism a bad name, and they need to be recognized as so.

Truth is, the gender gap has decreased by a very great amount, and I think we as a society, should give ourselves a pat on the back. There are more things to better off, but I think we're getting there.
-I'd like to be able to walk home at whatever hour I like, wearing whatever clothes I like, without having to phone my friend the entire way home because I'm scared of what people might do to me

-I'd like women to stop getting groped and being expected to just "take it as a compliment"

-I'd like to not have everything I get angry or passionate about to be written off as "She's just hormonal" or "Are you on your period?"

-I'd like women in other countries to have equal access to education (and in places where the level of education is appalling for men, I want them to have a better standard of education too)

-I'd like women to be able to marry or not marry, and have children or not have children, as they choose, as not because their family expects it, or they've been forced, or society expects them to

-I'd like women to have access to abortions without being judged for it

-I'd like transgender women to be treated with basic human decency (and transgender men)

-I'd like to see more female professors in academia

-I'd like to see more female homosexual couples in TV programmes and films and things, I feel like male homosexuality is shown more often. But now I'm straying into totally different territory.

-I want people to stop raping people.

And I know that men have problems as well, these are just the woman-specific things. (Also, International Men's Day is the 19th of November)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
-I'd like to be able to walk home at whatever hour I like, wearing whatever clothes I like, without having to phone my friend the entire way home because I'm scared of what people might do to me

-I'd like women to stop getting groped and being expected to just "take it as a compliment"

-I'd like to not have everything I get angry or passionate about to be written off as "She's just hormonal" or "Are you on your period?"

-I'd like women in other countries to have equal access to education (and in places where the level of education is appalling for men, I want them to have a better standard of education too)

-I'd like women to be able to marry or not marry, and have children or not have children, as they choose, as not because their family expects it, or they've been forced, or society expects them to

-I'd like women to have access to abortions without being judged for it

-I want people to stop raping people.

I think I love you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I love you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, thanks! I told myself I was going to give up getting into feminist debates for Lent, think I'm about to break that in a second
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Haha, thanks! I told myself I was going to give up getting into feminist debates for Lent, think I'm about to break that in a second

I try to but the rampant misogyny really annoys me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aliceb
Yeah I'd been clean for about a year haha. I thought these arguments had been dismissed a thousand times but some people are still buying into them unfortunately..

It's so disheartening
Ok there's only a few things, not that any of these will change.
-The whole slut/stallion double standard to stop because as much as people make fun of girls complaining about it, this is one of the things that actually still exists.
-For some people to stop assuming all women want freaking kids. No matter what bull**** you throw out there, we don't all want them so sod off.
-For the chauvenistic threads to stop; not the ones that actually want a healthy debate, the ones that want to complain about women and make generalisations.

And before people come back to me complaining about how men have all these inequality issues please save your breath. I want equal divorce rights and such as much as the next person but this is about how we want things to change for women so sthu.
I'd like the feminist movement to place a far greater emphasis on the oppression of women in the developing world, India, the Middle East, Africa etc

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending