The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Music 2014/2015 revision thread

PEARSON EDEXCEL GCSE MUSIC REVISION THREAD
*alldaydreaming's 2015 5MU03 exam thread is here*
(2014 PAST PAPER + CD NOW AVAILABLE)
Hello! I hereby give you guys some revision and examination materials that might help.

Firstly, for revision, I created a little revision guide, if it helps, HERE

Right, for anyone who might want to do some past paper practice, but can't get hold of the audio files, I have brilliant news!
I have posted the past examination CDs and the Sample Assessment Material CD to go with the past papers.
I also have posted the three Pearson practice papers.

Past (and Sample) Examination Materials
The files for these are split into eight continuous tracks Questions 1-8. I would download them, and play them in iTunes/WMP so they play continuously for the full exam experience. If you leave the tracks playing continuously in order, it will be exactly like a real exam.
June 2011 Examination Materials
June 2012 Examination Materials
June 2013 Examination Materials
June 2014 Examination Materials
Sample Assessment Materials

Pearson Practice Papers
The files for these are split into eight EXTRACTS, for Questions 1-8. There are NO announcements or pauses, and the extract only plays once.
Therefore, the correct way of using them is by playing the individual file the correct number of times (specified on the Question Paper), leaving suitable pauses between each playing.
The way it's done by Edexcel in the exam: 30 seconds in-between playings, 3 minutes at the end of each question to finish answers, and then 1 minute to read the next question.
Practice Paper A
Practice Paper B
Practice Paper C

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi!! I'm so glad someone made this thread :smile:

1. Favourite set work.
Spoiler: show
Chopin <3 <3 As a pianist (I've already done my grade 8 a few years ago), I love piano music, and Chopin is one of my favourite composers! :biggrin: Although I'm not terribly fond of this particular predlude, I still like it the best

2. Least favourite set work.
Rag Desh..ew

3. Most confident set work.
Chooopiinn!!

4. Least confident set work.
Rag Desh

5. How's your coursework coming along?
Performances are easy- I mean seriously, I recorded both the solo and performance in early y10, and came out with full marks on my first try.. Compositions are going well I guess, I'm trying to get full marks in that too

6. What did you get in your mock?
I got a high a too! - full marks for both performances, 27/30 for composition and idk for the exam, but I ended up with only 3% away from an a*

7. Do you like GCSE music?
Not really.. I hate composing

8. Are you doing A level Music?
No way :P

So how are you revising for gcse music?
Reply 2
Aha yay a friend!

I'm significantly less stressed about my performance - my piano teacher is helping me out and apparently the 'easy' level of difficulty is actually rather easier than one might anticipate. So I'm alright!
I'm making revision notes - the blue Revision guide is good, but it's riddled with mistakes and I'd feel happier using my own notes (which my whole set just ends up using as well :/ )

And my brilliant music teacher gave me the exam CDs to burn for revision over Easter (though he told me that both he and I would die if I lost them)! So I can now do past papers :biggrin:

How are you revising?
I was using the little blue revision book but yes, it seems like it has a few mistakes... I'm so glad you pointed it out because I thought that I was the only one thinking this way! I'm mainly using the textbook to revise from and some notes that our teacher gave us! Also I discovered that on youtube, there are some music revision videos there! :smile:

So yes, after learning the set works and stuff, I'm planning to go through some past papers (I bought a pack online from amazon... it was quite expensive!)
Reply 4
Original post by strawberrysnow
I was using the little blue revision book but yes, it seems like it has a few mistakes... I'm so glad you pointed it out because I thought that I was the only one thinking this way! I'm mainly using the textbook to revise from and some notes that our teacher gave us! Also I discovered that on youtube, there are some music revision videos there! :smile:

So yes, after learning the set works and stuff, I'm planning to go through some past papers (I bought a pack online from amazon... it was quite expensive!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nti1on3c8szvkir/Music%20GCSE%20Revision.pdf

I also created a little revision booklet it's got all of the main key melodies and stuff too, and hopefully all the necessary detail :biggrin:

Our teachers gave us a composition deadline of tomorrow I've finished composing :biggrin: (yaay)
OMG thank you so much! It looks so professional!!! I can't believe you made it!!!

And our composition deadline was on Monday, but I don't know what my marks will be >.< I hope I get a high mark in both my compositions (I only got graded for my first composition during the mocks).

What kind if compositions did you do? I did a romantic/area 1 piano piece, and a pop song :tongue:
Reply 6
OMG thank you so much! It looks so professional!!! I can't believe you made it!!!

And our composition deadline was on Monday, but I don't know what my marks will be >.< I hope I get a high mark in both my compositions (I only got graded for my first composition during the mocks).

What kind if compositions did you do? I did a romantic/area 1 piano piece, and a pop song :tongue:

I did a minimalist one and a Classical piano piece! My teachers don't seem to have any more suggestions for them, so I assume that means they'll score highly (hopefully!) :s-smilie:

And ah, thanks! There may be a few mistakes that I'll have to iron out, but if you keep using the link and refreshing, the booklet will update itself. Hope it helps :smile:
Thank you! :biggrin:

How much revision are you doing? And what other subjects are you taking? :P
Reply 8
Thank you! :biggrin:

How much revision are you doing? And what other subjects are you taking? :P

For Music, not too much I'll probably just do papers close to the end of the holidays, and do a bit of 10 marker practice: though I'm only going to revise Areas of Study 1 and 2 for Section B of the exam: I find them easier than 3 and 4. Generally, probably a lot :/ especially French

I'm taking: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Additional Maths (done IGCSE Maths already!), English Language, English Literature, French (ugh), Latin, Drama, Music.

You?
Reply 9

1. Favourite set work.

Um...Chopin, Buckley, Reich, Davis...

Rag Desh, yiri

Probably Moby.

Probably Rag Desh.

Great! 100% in everything.

A* :smile: The theory paper I got an A (one off A*) and my coursework brought it up to A*.

Love it. My unpopular opinion is that I really enjoy composing.

Yes!

I just don't really know where to begin revising, if that makes sense...
Reply 10
Original post by bethduke

1. Favourite set work.

Um...Chopin, Buckley, Reich, Davis...

Rag Desh, yiri

Probably Moby.

Probably Rag Desh.

Great! 100% in everything.

A* :smile: The theory paper I got an A (one off A*) and my coursework brought it up to A*.

Love it. My unpopular opinion is that I really enjoy composing.

Yes!

I just don't really know where to begin revising, if that makes sense...

Oh my, I absolutely love composing! That's the main reason I took music - I'm not really a performer, having only taken grade 1 piano, having only started lessons in Year 9- but to be honest, I quite like the listening and appraising course, and I find the paper relatively easy (but yet only got an A in the mock - the boundaries are pretty high :/ )

To be honest, I don't really revise for music. If you want to revise, learn the dates of composition, style, key, metre and tempo of the pieces, and learn your response to section B. (You can get away with only revising either AoS 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 because question 9 takes a set work from 1 or 2 and 10 takes a set work from 3 or 4 - I don't think they change that pattern). But yeah. I've got my performances on Friday and Monday! I'm nervous :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rag Desh, yiri

:eek: Yiri is ahhhhhmaaazziiiiiiiiinggggggggg!

Rag Desh isn't even that bad guys :tongue:

Instrumentation (in general)- shehnai (wooden oboe), bansuri (bamboo flute), tambura, some other instrument beginning with T which I don't remember, sitar, etc

Oh hmm, thought I'd have a look through my old posts on last year's Music GCSE thread and found this one which may be useful to you guys when revising :smile:

Original post by Meliss

Go through each set work and make sure you get at least 3 points on the following features:
-Rhythm/Metre/Tempo
-Tonality
-Harmony
-Melody
-Structure
-Instrumentation
-Technology (where applicable)
-Timbre
-Texture
-Dynamics

In the essay question that's worth 12 marks, you'll be asked two 1 mark questions about general background knowledge of the piece, composer, etc and then 10 marks based on 5 of those musical elements above and how they are used in the piece. 2 marks for 2 points for each element. I recommend learning 3 points for each just in case though :smile:
So if you know your stuff for the elements, you should be halfway prepared for the listening section. Just listen over and over, to the pieces! Like seriously, put them onto your iPod- it'll actually help :biggrin: go over practice/past papers, grab any textbooks/revision books you can lay your hand on. Erm, just learn the basic facts for each set work. Like, Peripetie- learn the German word definitions. Rag Desh- learn the tals and the instruments used and their roles in the piece. Handel- learn which part of the choir comes in first for each motif. Stuff like that, just learn! Make flash cards and quiz yourself or something, it'll be fine :tongue:

PS. I've decided to write out the stuff for Rag Desh to save you some time :biggrin: good revision for me too :tongue:

Anoushka Shankar
Instruments- Tabla & Sitar
Structure -Alap, Gat, Jhalla
Tals -Jhaptal- 10 beat (2+3+2+3), Tintal- 16 beat (4+4+4+4)

Tanwar
Instruments -Sarod, Sarangi, Tabla, Pakhawaj & small cymbals
Structure -Alap, Bandish
Tals -Keherwa tal- 8 beat (2+2+2+2)

Steve Gorn & Benjy Wertheimer
Instruments- Bansuri, Tabla, Esraj, Shruti box, Swarmandel
Structure -Alap, Gat 1, Gat 2
Tals- Rupak tal 7 beat (3+2+2) & Ektal 12 beat (2+2+2+2+2+2)

That's by memory however, some things might be wrong so i suggest you go and check it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do the following phrases mean:
-Nebenstimme- secondary voice
-Haupstimme- principal voice
-Klangfarbenmelodie- 'tone colour melody' (the importance of timbre as well as rhythm and pitch in a melody)
-bell up- pointing trumpets upwards to give a louder, brassier sound
-divisi- instruments in a section divide into separate parts
-a 2- both of the instruments in a section together (as opposed to just the first (oboe/bassoon etc))
-ritenuto- gradually getting slower

Original post by Meliss
In And the glory of the Lord, there are 4 themes used throughout the piece.
The first theme is 'and the glory of the lord' which is syllabic. It is introduced by the altos.
The second theme, 'shall be revealed' uses melisma on the word 'revealed' and is a descending sequence. [I love the word 'melismatic' mainly because my name is in there :biggrin: ] This theme is introduced by the tenors.
The third theme, 'and all flesh shall see it together' uses repetition. Not sure what else to write here :confused: Introduced by the altos.
The fourth theme is 'for the mouth of the lord hath spoken it' which uses long drawn out minims and stays on one note, apart from the penultimate and the note before the penultimate, where they rise up. Introduced by bass and tenors.
That's all I can remember :s-smilie:

Should read some of the posts from the end of page 4 to the end of page 6 from last year's music thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2268741&page=4 Maybe the answers there could be helpful :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Meliss
:eek: Yiri is ahhhhhmaaazziiiiiiiiinggggggggg!

Rag Desh isn't even that bad guys :tongue:

Instrumentation (in general)- shehnai (wooden oboe), bansuri (bamboo flute), tambura, some other instrument beginning with T which I don't remember, sitar, etc

Oh hmm, thought I'd have a look through my old posts on last year's Music GCSE thread and found this one which may be useful to you guys when revising :smile:

What do the following phrases mean:
-Nebenstimme- secondary voice
-Haupstimme- principal voice
-Klangfarbenmelodie- 'tone colour melody' (the importance of timbre as well as rhythm and pitch in a melody)
-bell up- pointing trumpets upwards to give a louder, brassier sound
-divisi- instruments in a section divide into separate parts
-a 2- both of the instruments in a section together (as opposed to just the first (oboe/bassoon etc))
-ritenuto- gradually getting slower

Should read some of the posts from the end of page 4 to the end of page 6 from last year's music thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2268741&page=4 Maybe the answers there could be helpful :biggrin:

Tell you what, I'm beginning to love the Gorn / Wertheimer.
1. Favourite set work: Something's Coming, Chopin, Buckley, Mozart.

2. Least Favourite set work: Rag Desh - how could somebody bear to listen to either version enough to set a paper on it?

3. Most confident set work: Mozart

4. Least confident set work: Rag Desh or Yiri.

5. How's your coursework coming along? A/A* on Solo, A on ensemble, 28/30 for baroque comp, struggling on second comp.

6. What did you get in your mock? Middle A.

7. Do you like GCSE Music? Yes, but much less than I used to - everything is becoming too frantic and stressful now.

8. Are you doing A Level Music? No, I'm (probably) planning to take English Lit, German, Philosophy, English Lang, and maybe a science or something if I do five.

I'm really stressed about the paper - thankfully it's over a week after the previous exam!
Reply 14
Original post by danconway
Oh my, I absolutely love composing! That's the main reason I took music - I'm not really a performer, having only taken grade 1 piano, having only started lessons in Year 9- but to be honest, I quite like the listening and appraising course, and I find the paper relatively easy (but yet only got an A in the mock - the boundaries are pretty high :/ )

To be honest, I don't really revise for music. If you want to revise, learn the dates of composition, style, key, metre and tempo of the pieces, and learn your response to section B. (You can get away with only revising either AoS 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 because question 9 takes a set work from 1 or 2 and 10 takes a set work from 3 or 4 - I don't think they change that pattern). But yeah. I've got my performances on Friday and Monday! I'm nervous :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck for your performances! I'm sure you will do fab!
And I know the music grade boundaries are so high it kinda scares me! You can't even afford to lose 10 marks, you know what I mean...

And thank you :smile:
Reply 15
Good luck for your performances! I'm sure you will do fab!
And I know the music grade boundaries are so high it kinda scares me! You can't even afford to lose 10 marks, you know what I mean...

And thank you :smile:

I did my solo on Friday and I got 28/30 :smile:

I'm really happy with that!
Reply 16
So glad someone has made a thread for this!

1. Favourite set work. - For me either Something's Coming or Electric Counterpoint? Quite like both of them!

2. Least favourite set work. - Schoenberg Peripetie and Rag Desh eurghhhh

3. Most confident set work - Either Moby or Yiri I think

4. Least confident set work - Rag Desh and Grace - so hard to write about them...

5. How's your coursework coming along? - I finished my compositions just before Easter break thank God but I don't know my grade yet, fingers crossed for at least a B! On my perfomance I got 29/30 on my solo and on group I got an A so that's good:smile:

6. What did you get in your mock? - I got a high B but 12/12 on the section B question yay

7. Do you like GCSE music? - I do, definitely one of my favourite subjects!

8. Are you doing A level Music? - Unfortuantely no. I am doing RE, Media, English Lit and French :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Was planning on leaving music revision until half term...bad idea?
Reply 18
Original post by odjack
Was planning on leaving music revision until half term...bad idea?

Not necessarily but I would definitely at least go over them all a couple of times before half term just to refresh your memory
So is anyone just revising the first six/second six pieces for the essay question, or are you revising them all? It seems like they give you an option of a piece from Area of Study 1/2 and one from Area of Study 3/4 in past papers, but it doesn't explicitly say this in the Spec.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending