The Student Room Group

BTEC's...

I want to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. However, there is a slight chance my school won't do FM. I was thinking to self teach but if I am not able to I haven't a clue what other subject to pick, all the others bore me. As I want to do Computing/Computer Science in Uni would universities accept an ICT BTEC? Would I be a weaker candidate if I have 3 As levels and one BTEC? I know there is a lot of stigma surrounding BTEC's so I just wanted to ask if I would still have the same chance of getting in to a good university if I had done an A level?
I'm in a similar situation; I'm doing Maths AS and Computing AS as well as an extended IT diploma,and next year I'm keeping the maths and picking up a Physics AS and dropping the Computing. Some universities would look down on it but most are quite happy even my extended providing I get an A in maths. Yours would be viewed even better as it's a subsidiary along with traditional A levels. Providing you think you can get an A in A2 maths, then you really shouldn't have any problems. I'm hoping to apply to: Durham, Exeter, York, Bath and Birmingham. Where you thinking of?

Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by blackadder1996
I'm in a similar situation; I'm doing Maths AS and Computing AS as well as an extended IT diploma,and next year I'm keeping the maths and picking up a Physics AS and dropping the Computing. Some universities would look down on it but most are quite happy even my extended providing I get an A in maths. Yours would be viewed even better as it's a subsidiary along with traditional A levels. Providing you think you can get an A in A2 maths, then you really shouldn't have any problems. I'm hoping to apply to: Durham, Exeter, York, Bath and Birmingham. Where you thinking of?

Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. So it wouldn't be too bad if I did Maths, Physics and BTEC ICT to A2? I was thinking of applying to Imperial, Bristol and Bath. I haven't put much thought into the others.
No problem; those all accept BTEC as A level equivalent, and they're darn good unis. Bath is looking to be my insurance if I don't get an A in maths. Hope that's helped. What're you aiming to get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest