The Student Room Group

Do you think exams are a good way to determine your intelligence?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What is "intelligence"? Is it the ability to regurgitate huge amounts of material from memory under pressure? Is it the ability to write a huge amount of work based on information already out there? Neither exams nor coursework can measure intelligence. Intelligence is the ability to think for one's self which is measured by neither of those things. Learning and thinking are completely separate things. Learning might require you to think in a math exam but all you're actually doing is solving a "new" problem that's based on what you've already learnt. And so to solve it you would have to think back on similar problems you've learnt how to solve. So basically that accounts for 30% thinking and 70% memory. In a biology exam it would be more like 1% thinking and 99% memory.

If anything, proper academic intelligence is the ability for someone to find a problem that intrigues them causing them to go and think of a solution and solve it. Sometimes to solve the problem you would have to learn things to be able to come up with a solution. Its what people have to go through to publish their thesis during their PhDs. So basically if you think about it, school and even undergraduate university focus a lot on memory rather than on thinking.
Definitely not but as some people have already said before, there isn't an alternative.
Original post by Auditore014
I have been recently thinking about exams and if they are really effective in assessing your intellect. For example, one of the issues is that if you are 1 mark away from an A* (or other types of topmost grades), it doesn't make you less clever. If you think exams are a ineffective, why and what would you do as a replacement?

Just curious, thanks.

no and yes
I mean it is unfair to asses one's ability based on one day.
but having said that using assessments or other variants that may be improved upon will not wholly solve the problem as it will only promote writing things that will get marks when a person might not necessarily understand the concept behind it.
:smile::h:

to conclude bothforms should be available, in my opinion anyway.
They test your memory and not much else. For example in physics and maths all you have to do is regurgitate an equation, see what you have to play with, jiggle it around a bit, put it in a calculator and there's your mark.

What's intelligent about that? What's intelligent about having an equation etched so much into your brain that all you have to do is put numbers in the right place?

What I think tests you intelligence more is say when you take an exam you're given an explanation of something new (a new concept) and then told to use that information in the most logical way to solve or come up with a solution. Test how well a person can apply new ideas to different situations, that's what'll determine your ability to reason and think.

At the moment I can write a definition for a vector on an exam paper which has came straight out of my text book and get 1/2 marks for it ...a better way to test my intelligence is to get me to write down a definition of something and then get me to explain my definition and break down why my definition is right and why another definition is wrong.

I quite like exams but they're written so terribly, they could be fun if they allowed for more room to play with ideas instead of regurgitating an idea and doing nothing else with it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by physicsbook
They test your memory and not much else. For example in physics and maths all you have to do is regurgitate an equation, see what you have to play with, jiggle it around a bit, put it in a calculator and there's your mark.

What's intelligent about that? What's intelligent about having an equation etched so much into your brain that all you have to do is put numbers in the right place?

What I think tests you intelligence more is say when you take an exam you're given an explanation of something new (a new concept) and then told to use that information in the most logical way to solve or come up with a solution. Test how well a person can apply new ideas to different situations, that's what'll determine your ability to reason and think.

At the moment I can write a definition for a vector on an exam paper which has came straight out of my text book and get 1/2 marks for it ...a better way to test my intelligence is to get me to write down a definition of something and then get me to explain my definition and break down why my definition is right and why another definition is wrong.

I agree, so the best form of assessment is surely spontaneous assessment then, isn't it? An exam you can't really prepare for is a better measure of intelligence. Coursework, imo, is worse, as you have time to prepare for it
Reply 25
No, I don't think performing well in an exam necessarily equates intelligence. Defining intelligence is such a wishy-washy process, some would argue that memory is a fundamental cornerstone of intelligence and others would argue that the ability to solve previously unseen problems is.

Moreover, when as a society label a person as intelligent we commonly mean they perform well academically. Under that premise I would be labelled somewhat academically intelligent. However, I am quite bad at reading and building relationships with people, so in that premise I would be labelled emotionally unintelligent. Does this make me intelligent or unintelligent, as I said previously it is a very wish-washy definition to carelessly throw around.
Reply 26
For me personally I'm way better at doing coursework.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Marcum
No, I don't think performing well in an exam necessarily equates intelligence. Defining intelligence is such a wishy-washy process, some would argue that memory is a fundamental cornerstone of intelligence and others would argue that the ability to solve previously unseen problems is.

Moreover, when as a society label a person as intelligent we commonly mean they perform well academically. Under that premise I would be labelled somewhat academically intelligent. However, I am quite bad at reading and building relationships with people, so in that premise I would be labelled emotionally unintelligent. Does this make me intelligent or unintelligent, as I said previously it is a very wish-washy definition to carelessly throw around.

I think there's two strands, emotional and academic intelligence.
I know people who are brilliant at one but bad at the other, and some who are very bad/good at both, but we define academic intelligence as "being clever"
Original post by voxdock
I agree, so the best form of assessment is surely spontaneous assessment then, isn't it? An exam you can't really prepare for is a better measure of intelligence. Coursework, imo, is worse, as you have time to prepare for it

No, what I am saying is there needs to be more room for people to play around with ideas. Let someone have chance to incorporate their imagination into it. Questions with multiple ways of solving them to see how someone's mind works.
I think coursework is great, I can only speak about science subjects but researching a topic and referencing it provides valuable life skills and often someone might learn better through reading and writing about a topic. Your ability to re-word ideas and for them still to make sense to a teacher marking it shows intelligence and understanding.
Reply 29
No, what I am saying is there needs to be more room for people to play around with ideas. Let someone have chance to incorporate their imagination into it. Questions with multiple ways of solving them to see how someone's mind works.
I think coursework is great, I can only speak about science subjects but researching a topic and referencing it provides valuable life skills and often someone might learn better through reading and writing about a topic. Your ability to re-word ideas and for them still to make sense to a teacher marking it shows intelligence and understanding.

I think thats true for science, if you can explain it in a different way, you better show your understanding. My bitterness with coursework stems form the NOV eng Language GCSE (don't no if anybody else took this). Not me personally, but lots of pll who arent that bright got very good marks for coursework, and flopped the exam and got As, I feel like their coursework hyped them up
Reply 30
Original post by voxdock
I think there's two strands, emotional and academic intelligence.
I know people who are brilliant at one but bad at the other, and some who are very bad/good at both, but we define academic intelligence as "being clever"

I don't disagree with you in respect the idea of the existence of multiple intelligences, but in foresight I suspect there may be many more types of intelligence. We have considered academic performance as the only indicator of a persons 'intelligence' in past, and all to often still do. Could it not be that we are still overlooking a multitude of intelligences because we are so intrinsically dead set on rigidly defining the concept as one thing?
Reply 31
Original post by Marcum
I don't disagree with you in respect the idea of the existence of multiple intelligences, but in foresight I suspect there may be many more types of intelligence. We have considered academic performance as the only indicator of a persons 'intelligence' in past, and all to often still do. Could it not be that we are still overlooking a multitude of intelligences because we are so intrinsically dead set on rigidly defining the concept as one thing?

Maybe, for me, I see academic intelligence as exam performance, sharpness, intelligence not measured by exams (you know when ppl are smart, even if they dont perform well)

emotional awareness is a social thing-relationships, social perception (when ppl are lying,having you on, taking advantage of you etc.) maybe im narrow minded, but I can only see these two
Original post by Add!ction
I know that exams are there to test your ability to do something in a short space of time but I don't think this skill can be transferred to the world of work. Not properly anyway.

In my experience highly paid jobs are very much about producing the goods when under extreme pressure. Whilst I accept that not everyone will be fortunate / unfortunate to have a highly paid / stressful job, I can absolutely see why exams are a far better indicator than coursework for this proportion of the student population.
Original post by voxdock
I think thats true for science, if you can explain it in a different way, you better show your understanding. My bitterness with coursework stems form the NOV eng Language GCSE (don't no if anybody else took this). Not me personally, but lots of pll who arent that bright got very good marks for coursework, and flopped the exam and got As, I feel like their coursework hyped them up

I can understand that, coursework is defiantly a risky assessment strategy because unless you're willing to test yourself and learn and revise at home, you can go the entire thing without learning anything and still get a good grade at the end of it all.

Personally I prefer a mix of course work and exams.
Reply 34
I can understand that, coursework is defiantly a risky assessment strategy because unless you're willing to test yourself and learn and revise at home, you can go the entire thing without learning anything and still get a good grade at the end of it all.

Personally I prefer a mix of course work and exams.

The fact of the matter is, when presented with assessment that contribute to a gcse, ppl willl take any advantage they can get.

I feel sorry for them, as they all got inflated marks for controlled assessments CA's, and then were gutted when they got a grade below what they thought they should get, as the exam (I feel) was a better assessment of true english ability. But theyd been hyped up to think that they were very good, and thats a long way to fall
Reply 35
Original post by voxdock
Maybe, for me, I see academic intelligence as exam performance, sharpness, intelligence not measured by exams (you know when ppl are smart, even if they dont perform well)

emotional awareness is a social thing-relationships, social perception (when ppl are lying,having you on, taking advantage of you etc.) maybe im narrow minded, but I can only see these two

I understand what you are saying, in my maths class there are people who understand concepts with greater ease than me and I would consider them as cleverer than me despite them getting lower grades in exams.

I would consider creativity to be a manifestation of intelligence in some form. I would not only consider applying this label to van Goth, Monet or Rembrandt but to innovators and pioneers in their fields. For example, our understanding of physics today would probably be lacking if it were not for Isaac Newton's creativity and hard work.
Original post by voxdock
The fact of the matter is, when presented with assessment that contribute to a gcse, ppl willl take any advantage they can get.

I feel sorry for them, as they all got inflated marks for controlled assessments CA's, and then were gutted when they got a grade below what they thought they should get, as the exam (I feel) was a better assessment of true english ability. But theyd been hyped up to think that they were very good, and thats a long way to fall

It is a shame and I think teachers need to stop giving students extra help with coursework just to bump up their students grade. It in no way ensures that at the end of it all the students have a grade that accurately depicts their own ability.

Which takes us back to whether coursework is a good way to determine a persons intelligence and I'm going to agree that it isn't in this case but that it could be a more accurate interpretation of a persons abilities if teachers didn't give help as much as they do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Marcum
I understand what you are saying, in my maths class there are people who understand concepts with greater ease than me and I would consider them as cleverer than me despite them getting lower grades in exams.

I would consider creativity to be a manifestation of intelligence in some form. I would not only consider applying this label to van Goth, Monet or Rembrandt but to innovators and pioneers in their fields. For example, our understanding of physics today would probably be lacking if it were not for Isaac Newton's creativity and hard work.

there's a line between talent and creativity though. Like I play in a band, and there's a (better ) band who are a couple of years older. Im good friends with their lead singer/guitarist as we both have the same role in our bands. We both write the songs/music for our bands, and he is very talented at creating music, but I would regard myself as more academically intelligent, Ive outperformed him in the exams ive done so far, So he is very talented at music, but I dont think creativity is an intelligence skill, it helps no doubt, but I think it applies in a different way
They're vaguely OK for the basic stuff, and to test innate understanding, as well as to test application of mathematics, language and some sciences. I don't think there's much place for them in some subjects beyond GCSE level, and I don't think examination should be used to test things one can memorise and regurgitate (e.g. an exam to test if someone can remember specific case law which applies to a set situation is useless, but if you want to find out if someone can write well in French, you need a closed exam).

As well as being quite a poor way to test 'intelligence' (or ability), I'm not sure a memory test provides much of an indication of how useful a graduate will be in the workplace either.

Manager: "Find out why we're losing money"

Employee relying on what he learned at university: "R v Smith 2004"

or

Manager: "Find out why we're losing money. Lock yourself in meeting room 3, turn off the wifi and leave all these useful documents outside, then do your best with what you can remember from the accounts meeting yesterday"

I think it's probably better, at university level, if you can display the ability to think for yourself, perform well and utilise all the normal tools at the disposal of a normal person whilst doing so. Perhaps timed, full Internet/book access assessments might work if you want to test pressure working.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
It is a shame and I think teachers need to stop giving students extra help with coursework just to bump up their students grade. It in no way ensures that at the end of it all the students have a grade that accurately depicts their own ability.

Which takes us back to whether coursework is a good way to determine a persons intelligence and I'm going to agree that it isn't in this case but that it could be a more accurate interpretation of a persons abilities if teachers didn't give help as much as they do.

ngl, I was kind of glad the results came out the way they did in that exam, because I think it brought people back down to earth, and i was sick of hearing people who thought they were better then they were. I think thats a serious prblem with CA's in general though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending