The Student Room Group

DeMontfort Foundation Studies in Art and Design?

Hi there all! :biggrin: I'm currently trying to decide between MMU and DMU for the Art Foundation.

Origionally i was leaning more towards MMU, however i then had my 'interview' at DMU and it really impressed me.. not just the course but the uni in general.. so then i was really confused!

3 days ago i had my MMU interview, and the interview went AWFUL. it wasnt me, it was the interviewer. he was abrupt and disinterested, and 20 minutes late -_- ..so now im really thinking of going to DMU.

Im kinda thinking that, that was the thing i needed to sway my decision.

I just wondered if anyone knew anything about DMU and especially the Art Foundation? Thanks! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
DMU

I did the course and this is my experience (I studied while living at home) The pathway I chose was: Graphic Communication

The course is pretty good if you want to learn a broad range of things, they have many workshops such as glass blowing/wood/printing/photography (the list goes on).

In the first few weeks you just learn the basics like drawing/painting and brushing up on techniques. Also will attend many workshops as I said above there is a wide range of things. Day to day activities consist of registration, then you go off you your bay (You will have a table to yourself and will be placed randomly in the first few weeks, later you will choose a pathway eg. Graphics/Photography/Fashion etc. you will then be placed in a specific area with other people who chose the same pathway)
The foundation course takes place is a huge studio and there is a lot of space to work in.

You will be set tasks in the first few weeks but later you will work on your own and get a ton of support (literally every 1-2 days a tutor would sit down with me to help me develop ideas or to help me put my portfolio together)

There are also a couple trips you go to: we had the choice of going to Berlin. Also regular trips to london/oxford for museum visits (There was about 4-5 of them if I remember correctly)

The way you are assessed was pretty good I think, At the end of each project you would be assessed by your peers and a tutor, usually in groups of about 6, so you would stand up and talk about what you did/why you did it, you would then get feedback. If for some reason your tutor feels you could have done more work you are usually referred and get an extra few days to complete certain tasks so you can progress to the next stage.

Also during your projects you will also have group discussions similar to this to show your progress and get ideas from others.

Timetable was like:

Monday 9-5
Tuesday 9-5
Wednesday 1 hour?? (Photoshop workshop/IT)
Thursday Lecture/Workshops
Friday 9-5

extra points:
There is a Art shop so you can pick up extra supplies
You will have life drawing sessions twice a week which you must attend
If you want to go on to the BA Course after this you will get a priority interview (They came in and interviewed us at our desk)

Sorry if my grammar is all over the place but I kind of rushed typing that lol, hope that helps.
If you have any more questions just reply.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thankyou so much for your great reply! the course sounds great! so..overall would you recommend it?

Also, are the tutors nice? (after the event at mmu!) and also are there LOTS of students on the course?
Thanks again!
Reply 3
It's cool, just glad to help.

Yup I would recommend it, although I'm not sure how MMU would compare. I enjoyed it and you find yourself learning a ton because there's so much packed together in that year.

The tutors are very nice yes, you have regular tutorials where they will sit down with you, you just put your name on a list/what time you want the tutorial. Plus group ones too.

Erm in my group there were 30ish alone. Overall there were lot's of people on the course.
Hi, i'm going to study at De Montfort this september. I'm so glad that I can find the information on this topic (: so do I have to prepare any art materials before studying art and design foundation course? I'm a foreigner by the way.
thank you
Reply 5
Original post by Jaymee.nghi
Hi, i'm going to study at De Montfort this september. I'm so glad that I can find the information on this topic (: so do I have to prepare any art materials before studying art and design foundation course? I'm a foreigner by the way.
thank you

They sent us a list of items we needed, you could pay for them online and then collect them when you got to the uni, or buy them yourself if you wanted. It's mostly things like paint,charcoal,brushes etc.
Original post by ten313
They sent us a list of items we needed, you could pay for them online and then collect them when you got to the uni, or buy them yourself if you wanted. It's mostly things like paint,charcoal,brushes etc.

So I have to email the uni to get the list?
Reply 7
Yeah maybe you should, I'm not sure when we received ours but since you're a foreigner you should probably get things sorted sooner than later so you don't have to worry about it.
Original post by ten313
Yeah maybe you should, I'm not sure when we received ours but since you're a foreigner you should probably get things sorted sooner than later so you don't have to worry about it.

Thanks a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest