The Student Room Group

Being more experienced than the other

Okay so here's my personal issue:

I really like this guy, and we're sort of dating.
However, I just got out of a long serious relationship with a slightly older guy who was more experienced than me and now i've gone through pretty much everything as well.

Thing is, the guy i'm seeing now is, I assume, much less experienced than me. It's been a long time since he's hooked up with anyone and he's a bit of an insecure kisser. Yesterday I sort of took the lead and it was fine, but I'm not sure whether that bothered him.

It's a little strange for me to be honest :tongue:

The questions:

Has anyone ever gone out with an inexperienced guy when they were much more experienced?

Does it turn you off?

Any advice?
Reply 1
I like when the lady takes the initiative :admiration:
Reply 2
Original post by RedArrow
I like when the lady takes the initiative :admiration:

You do? :smile: So it doesn't make you feel less macho or anything like that?
Taking the lead will not bother him, in fact it will probably calm him down a bit.

Does the fact that he is less experienced than you really bother you if he's a nice guy?

The best thing to do would be to take the lead a little in the begining, and soon he will grow more comfortable and begin to take the lead himself. Truly nice guys don't come around every day, so don't let a little inexperience put you off! At the end of the day you can fix inexperience, but you can't fix a bad guy - if that makes sense!
I had this exactly, but as it had only been a few weeks and I'd lost the spark I broke it off. Found ti too awkward and tbh I didn't want to have to teach him.. I prefer the guy being more dominant so it wasn't for me
Most couples are going to have different levels of romantic 'experience'. It's a tricky one to measure anyway. Say a guy has slept with 10 people, and a girl has slept with 1. We'd normally say the guy was the most experienced but if those were all one-night stands and the girl's previous relationship was five years, then she'll have had vastly more sex than he has. But he'll be used to different people. So, it's a bit artificial at times.

On the other hand, someone who can't kiss properly is rightly called inexperienced. If you can embrace being the one to give him the necessary experience then happy days. Especially if he's explicitly willing to learn! On the other hand, there's no shame in wanting to be with someone more self-possessed / potentially lower maintenance.

I'd advise that if there's a spark, go for it. The fact that you're "sort of dating" implies it's early days anyway, so give it a few more dates and see what you're letting yourself in for. With proper guidance he might be a very assertive and confident boyfriend in short order. And guys with 'experience' might have all sorts of weird emotional issues lurking away.

It's always a gamble, but if you basically like the guy, that's a good place to start from!
Original post by GameofThronessXx
Taking the lead will not bother him, in fact it will probably calm him down a bit.

Does the fact that he is less experienced than you really bother you if he's a nice guy?

The best thing to do would be to take the lead a little in the begining, and soon he will grow more comfortable and begin to take the lead himself. Truly nice guys don't come around every day, so don't let a little inexperience put you off! At the end of the day you can fix inexperience, but you can't fix a bad guy - if that makes sense!

You're right, he's already showing more confidence :smile: thank you!
Original post by Lotus_Eater
Most couples are going to have different levels of romantic 'experience'. It's a tricky one to measure anyway. Say a guy has slept with 10 people, and a girl has slept with 1. We'd normally say the guy was the most experienced but if those were all one-night stands and the girl's previous relationship was five years, then she'll have had vastly more sex than he has. But he'll be used to different people. So, it's a bit artificial at times.

On the other hand, someone who can't kiss properly is rightly called inexperienced. If you can embrace being the one to give him the necessary experience then happy days. Especially if he's explicitly willing to learn! On the other hand, there's no shame in wanting to be with someone more self-possessed / potentially lower maintenance.

I'd advise that if there's a spark, go for it. The fact that you're "sort of dating" implies it's early days anyway, so give it a few more dates and see what you're letting yourself in for. With proper guidance he might be a very assertive and confident boyfriend in short order. And guys with 'experience' might have all sorts of weird emotional issues lurking away.

It's always a gamble, but if you basically like the guy, that's a good place to start from!

He's more of the second not-a-kisser type. I do like the guy though and he is getting more confident :smile: Thanks for such a complete reply!
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so here's my personal issue:

I really like this guy, and we're sort of dating.
However, I just got out of a long serious relationship with a slightly older guy who was more experienced than me and now i've gone through pretty much everything as well.

Thing is, the guy i'm seeing now is, I assume, much less experienced than me. It's been a long time since he's hooked up with anyone and he's a bit of an insecure kisser. Yesterday I sort of took the lead and it was fine, but I'm not sure whether that bothered him.

It's a little strange for me to be honest :tongue:

The questions:

Has anyone ever gone out with an inexperienced guy when they were much more experienced?

Does it turn you off?

Any advice?

I think balance is good; even if he is inexperienced with you he will learn as I'm sure you did with your ex partner. So it may start off you with the control but as he gets more comfortable with you etc then I'm sure you'll probably take it in turns and it'll work out fine; having said that its all good if he is open to new experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending