The Student Room Group

Travelling to ukraine/eastern europe

Who here has been to eastern Europe specifically Ukraine? I want to go to Odessa which is on the coast of Ukraine. I might get a flight to Kiev and then train to Odessa. People say the train from Krakow to Kiev is dangerous as I was thinking of getting a train the whole way there. it would probably take too long by train as well.
Reply 1
Don't go to Ukraine at this moment in time, from what I understand internal travel within Ukraine is restricting for foreigners at this moment in time. Certainly don't get the train, especially not now not only is it long as hell, people aren't the nicest.

Why do you want to go when Ukraine is on the brink of war? :s-smilie:
You are crazy OP.

See tehFrance's post.
Reply 3
that is like saying "oooh Poland is nice to visit in early September".... 1939
Reply 4
Original post by tehFrance
Don't go to Ukraine at this moment in time, from what I understand internal travel within Ukraine is restricting for foreigners at this moment in time. Certainly don't get the train, especially not now not only is it long as hell, people aren't the nicest.

Why do you want to go when Ukraine is on the brink of war? :s-smilie:

erm brink of war is a bit of an exaggeration I want to go to Odessa anyway not to Crimea so I think it will be fine. Although you're probably right about the train I'll probably fly there.
(edited 10 years ago)
There have been a number of deaths in Kiev, it's not just Crimea that's a 'war zone'. Take a look at the official Foreign Office advice here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ukraine. It's not comforting reading. Why not go somewhere else like Croatia etc. instead for the sea and eastern European feel?

However, I feel your pain - I had a plan for going on holiday to Ukraine this year, visit Chernobyl and all that and it's not looking very likely at the moment.
Original post by hothedgehog
There have been a number of deaths in Kiev, it's not just Crimea that's a 'war zone'. Take a look at the official Foreign Office advice here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ukraine. It's not comforting reading. Why not go somewhere else like Croatia etc. instead for the sea and eastern European feel?

However, I feel your pain - I had a plan for going on holiday to Ukraine this year, visit Chernobyl and all that and it's not looking very likely at the moment.

These 'number of deaths' occurred at the very peak of the disorder on a single day over a significantly short time. Since then there have been no deaths related to the troubles until today in Donetsk and that occurred in the very center of where there were marches between two opposing groups.

Crimea is not a 'war zone', there have been no fighting and the Ukrainian military bases that are surrounded and the potential (though unlikely) spots of trouble are far away from residential and tourist areas. The biggest troubles that you will probably have trying to enter there is most likely being denied entry by local militia groups.

The Foreign Office is notorious for being overzealous in its travel advice. For proof you only need to look at its Iran entry. Travelling in the eastern most part of Europe (caucuses) you will meet many Brits, Germans etc who have traveled around Iran and received nothing but warm hospitality. From personal experience, its travel advice for the transnistrian part of moldova was incredibly exaggerated. Foreign Office Advice (beyond the "advise against all travel" parts which tend to more often then not be spot on) should often be taken with a pinch of salt. For a more accurate assessment of the situation you should check something like lonely planets thorn tree forum and consult with people who are either there travelling now or who have just returned.

Croatia's coastal cities do not have a "easten europe" feel (though saying that Odessa feels more like a beachy Paris rather than Ukraine).

Ukraine will be safe enough as long as you and the OP are sensible not to penetrate too far into any crowds of protesters and goad a currently politically sensitive people (ie being in the east and making comments about how it should be ukraine or being in Lviv and saying that Ukraine should be part of Russia) and be careful to not stay out late in Kiev (due to the lack of policemen who tended to be more preoccupied with stopping and hassling drivers anyway). Advising to avoid Ukraine altogether is like telling people to avoid England when the riots happened. Apart from a few isolated pockets of trouble, the rest was fine.

Quick Reply

Latest