The Student Room Group

How do I name this ester?

CH3OCOCH2C(Br)2CH2CH2Cl

methyl 5-chloro-3,3dibromopentanoate? This doesn't sound right to me

It is made of methanol and 5-chloro-3,3dibromopentanoic acid I think?
Original post by letsbehonest
CH3OCOCH2C(Br)2CH2CH2Cl

looks ok to me ...
Reply 2
Original post by charco
looks ok to me ...

Ok, just checking. Haven't done any nomenclature in a while :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by charco
looks ok to me ...

Hey Charco! I was just wondering you know she wrote methyl 5-chloro-3,3dibromopentanoate

I thought it was meant to be in alphabetical order since b comes before c in the alphabet but when your doing it do you also have to look at whats infront e.g. whether it is tri or di etc and then u decide from that so since c comes before d in the alphabet that is why the chloro bit comes first?
Reply 4
this mayb stupid but the general formula for an ester is RCOOR right?so is it correct if the above ester is written as ClCH2CH2C(Br)2CH2COOCH3? also do we just use the RCOOR for ease or is it like a compulsion or rule?because the formula was given as CH3OCO..its the same thing doest follow the general trend but its still correct isnt it?
Original post by UKChicken
Hey Charco! I was just wondering you know she wrote

I thought it was meant to be in alphabetical order since b comes before c in the alphabet but when your doing it do you also have to look at whats infront e.g. whether it is tri or di etc and then u decide from that so since c comes before d in the alphabet that is why the chloro bit comes first?

You are, of course, correct. The bromo should come before the chloro and the multipliers do not have any effect.

methyl-3,3-dibromo-5-chloro-pentanoate
Reply 6
Original post by charco
You are, of course, correct. The bromo should come before the chloro and the multipliers do not have any effect.

methyl-3,3-dibromo-5-chloro-pentanoate

Oh okay :thumbsup:.

Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by letsbehonest
CH3OCOCH2C(Br)2CH2CH2Cl

It's methyl 3,3-dibromo-5-chloro-pentanoate :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by UKChicken
Hey Charco! I was just wondering you know she wrote methyl 5-chloro-3,3dibromopentanoate

Original post by DashStrike
It's methyl 3,3-dibromo-5-chloro-pentanoate :smile:

Yeah, thanks guys :smile:

I haven't done any nomenclature in a while, I was totally lost
Reply 9
For esters the alcohol comes first followed by the carboxylic acid. The way to identify the alcohol is by looking which carbon is single bonded to only ONE oxygen in the ester link

Quick Reply

Latest