The Student Room Group

My honest opinion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chlorophile
1) They don't have equality. We've discussed this already and I've given you plenty of evidence for the contrary.

2) They don't have equality. I can give you plenty of evidence for the contrary.

3) Yep, they do need to shut up.

Basically you are a white knight. Okay.

Show me that evidence then. I can give you plenty otherwise.

Feminist-basher on TSR? Silenced by feminists and in some cases mods.

LGBT+ basher? Silenced by mods and often banned.

But when members of these groups complain, it's all "Oh, poor you, you deserve this right and that right" and I'm bloody sick of it. Everyone is equal in the eyes of the law. Piss off if you think otherwise.
Original post by The_Dragonborn
The law regards everyone as equal and in some cases even favours these minority groups, and yet they still complain and complain. Why can;t everyone just shut up and get on?

You're asking the wrong person.
What I'm saying is that everyone complains that feminists are complaining, but I've seen little evidence of this on here. Only retaliations to people's petty threads.
Original post by ILovePancakes
What can we do? :sigh:

Either ignore it or keep arguing, I guess.

But when members of these groups complain, it's all "Oh, poor you, you deserve this right and that right" and I'm bloody sick of it. Everyone is equal in the eyes of the law. Piss off if you think otherwise.

Listening to evidence != White knighting.

And from my earlier thread:

Here are some more statistics for the UK, which you (and other people) might be interested in. There's a sever lack of evidence in this thread, so this might help.

Only 7% of people on the boards of listed companies in the UK are women. The average income of a woman in the UK is 73% of that of a man and the wage equality for similar work is 0.68, where a score of 1.0 is total equality. Women are under-represented by a factor of two in the area of legislators, senior officials and managerial positions. The rate of unemployment for part-time females is over three times the unemployment rate of male counterparts. The political empowerment of women in the UK is shockingly bad. Again, where a score of 1.0 is total equality, the index for women in parliament is 0.29 and for women in ministerial positions, the index is 0.21. The sole category where women outperform men is enrolment in tertiary education.

Even in Iceland, the best country in the world for gender equality, the equality index is only 0.873, far away from total equality.

Faced with these statistics, can you really claim than there is equality between the genders?

The fact that everyone is equal in the eyes of the law does not mean that everyone is equal in practice. There is nothing I can do if you refuse to acknowledge the real world.
Original post by lillith
Aaaah honey I know what you are saying however what the laws say and the way which they are obeyed are different. For example, when a couple have children it is still usually the woman who has to make the most sacrifices, it is still expected in society that woman deals with these matters. (Anything to do with the kids) Unless she earns substantially more. Listen I have 5 kids and I am expected to be a fabulous mother to them, but if I didn't also work, I would be considered lazy. If I work too much I am accused of neglecting my children, Their father? nobody gives a **** as long as he contributes financially he is doing his bit. If for example my child was sent to hospital from school, if I left work to deal with the situation, I would be neglecting my job. If their father went to deal with it, he would be a sweet and loving daddy. Women still haven't quite found their equal place yet.

The woman makes the ultimate choice to have or not have the child though! They can choose to abort or not. And even then, I'm sure any woman would not have five children by a father who doesn't give a toss.

I just want everyone to stop complaining :frown:. This is a student forum but we are like grumpy old men and women here.

That wasn't really white knighting tbf.

Having seen feminist bashing and LGBT bashing on here, it's still an issue. Yes, the mods deal with it, but that's not really the same as there not being a problem.
Reply 46
The woman makes the ultimate choice to have or not have the child though! They can choose to abort or not. And even then, I'm sure any woman would not have five children by a father who doesn't give a toss.

I just want everyone to stop complaining :frown:. This is a student forum but we are like grumpy old men and women here.

You are very right there, everyone whinges far too much around here! We should try to make a point of making a cheerful thread for every doom and gloom one posted. And send me a joke Please?
Original post by shadowdweller
Either ignore it or keep arguing, I guess.

Sometimes I wish I was able to let things go, but it really pisses me off that people are blind to the fact that whilst things are better there is still a problem.
Listening to evidence != White knighting.

And from my earlier thread:

The fact that everyone is equal in the eyes of the law does not mean that everyone is equal in practice. There is nothing I can do if you refuse to acknowledge the real world.

Two points:

1. Men and women are different physically. Women can get pregnant, and as cruel as this sounds, why would any employer spend money to pay the salary and more benefits that might come with the job, to someone who could potentially take a year and upwards off in order to recover from childbirth and raise the child? It sounds cruel yes, but this is the reason.

2. This is going to sound like a bit of a generalisation, but in my experience, women do tend to opt for creative, artsy subjects over harder subjects with more employment prospects. Let's face it (and I'm going to offend some folks here), who's going to employ someone with a History of Art degree?
Original post by ILovePancakes
Sometimes I wish I was able to let things go, but it really pisses me off that people are blind to the fact that whilst things are better there is still a problem.

I concur. But there's not much point in the circular debates that often ensue, point out the issues and leave it at that is probably best.
That wasn't really white knighting tbf.

Having seen feminist bashing and LGBT bashing on here, it's still an issue. Yes, the mods deal with it, but that's not really the same as there not being a problem.

You know, you seem to have backed up other people when they make points against mine, but you haven't argued directly against any of my points yourself.

Maybe there is a reason you're called shadowdweller.

But in response to your comment, there wouldn't be a problem if everyone, and I mean everyone, just accepted things. There would be no need to bash feminists and LGBT, if they weren't complaining all the time about their perceived lack of rights.
Two points:

1. Men and women are different physically. Women can get pregnant, and as cruel as this sounds, why would any employer spend money to pay the salary and more benefits that might come with the job, to someone who could potentially take a year and upwards off in order to recover from childbirth and raise the child? It sounds cruel yes, but this is the reason.

2. This is going to sound like a bit of a generalisation, but in my experience, women do tend to opt for creative, artsy subjects over harder subjects with more employment prospects. Let's face it (and I'm going to offend some folks here), who's going to employ someone with a History of Art degree?

1. That doesn't explain the fact that men outnumber women 3:1 in parliament and 4:1 in ministerial positions, even if I accept your argument - which I don't. Employers should spend more money because of something called social responsibility. We don't live in a pure capitalist society, and that's a bloody good thing too.

2. That is a generalisation, and you're ignoring the reasons behind it. It's not because women are intrinsically worse at creative subjects, it's because there has been several centuries of discrimination against women which has resulted in social norms that affect the development of girls. I've covered this in detail in that other thread and I really can't be bothered to rewrite it. And come on, is the best argument you can come up with the uselessness of History of Art?

You know, you seem to have backed up other people when they make points against mine, but you haven't argued directly against any of my points yourself.

But in response to your comment, there wouldn't be a problem if everyone, and I mean everyone, just accepted things. There would be no need to bash feminists and LGBT, if they weren't complaining all the time about their perceived lack of rights.

I've argued against all of your points, I'm just tired of repeating myself over and over again.

And if there's something wrong with society, people have the right to voice their concerns. As long as there's a problem, they have every right to complain.
(edited 10 years ago)
1. That doesn't explain the fact that men outnumber women 3:1 in parliament and 4:1 in ministerial positions, even if I accept your argument - which I don't. Employers should spend more money because of something called social responsibility. We don't live in a pure capitalist society, and that's a bloody good thing too.

2. That is a generalisation, and you're ignoring the reasons behind it. It's not because women are intrinsically worse at creative subjects, it's because there has been several centuries of discrimination against women which has resulted in social norms that affect the development of girls. I've covered this in detail in that other thread and I really can't be bothered to rewrite it. And come on, is the best argument you can come up with the uselessness of History of Art?

1. Maybe men outnumber women in government, because we live in a democracy and we vote for men rather than women?

Seriously, you can't say we live in a sexist society when one of the most famous Britons is Margaret Thatcher, former Prime Minister, I mean that is the highest position you can get. And I'm sure I read somewhere that she was getting increasingly pissed off with feminists.

2. I know it is a generalisation, I said so before. The point is that there are so many schemes, bursaries, scholarships exclusively, exclusively for women. (Sexist much?) Perhaps it will take time before women work their way into dominant, managerial positions, but it will happen, there's nothing in place to stop this from happening.
(edited 10 years ago)
1. Maybe men outnumber women in government, because we live in a democracy and we vote for men rather than women?

Seriously, you can't say we live in a sexist society when one of the most famous Britons is Margaret Thatcher, former Prime Minister, I mean that is the highest position you can get. And I'm sure I read somewhere that she was getting increasingly pissed off with feminists.

2. I know it is a generalisation, I said so before. The point is that there are so many schemes, bursaries, scholarships exclusively, exclusively for women. (Sexist much?)

Are you trying to troll me now? I just don't believe you're seriously using these arguments.
Are you trying to troll me now? I just don't believe you're seriously using these arguments.

Comments like this have no place in Debate and current affairs. The only irrational person around here is, well, you.

Oh, also, I added a little something to my previous post - what I basically said was, these schemes and bursaries to help women get into those dominant positions you'd love them to be in (personally I don't even care which gender holds a dominant/managerial position) - they will get there eventually. These things take time. But, there is nothing in place to stop a woman from getting to those high levels now. And if she feels that there is deliberate sexism going on, the law demands that all be treated equally in cases of promotion. There's no need to complain on TSR about it - people are basically asking for women to be pushed straight to the top. No-one is pushed straight there (unless you're born in it), you have to earn it like anyone else.
(edited 10 years ago)

Because I'm pretty sick of having the same argument repeatedly. This isn't directed at you, but the general direction of TSR threads.

This is exactly the problem, not everyone accepts things. It's not like we're arguing LGBT rights and feminist issues for fun; 9 times out of 10 it's in response to someone starting a thread against said issues.
Because I'm pretty sick of having the same argument repeatedly. This isn't directed at you, but the general direction of TSR threads.

This is exactly the problem, not everyone accepts things. It's not like we're arguing LGBT rights and feminist issues for fun; 9 times out of 10 it's in response to someone starting a thread against said issues.

The arguments would not start if feminists and LGBT did not complain in the first place. The men on this site are already proof that feminism is widely accepted - look how passionate Chlorophile is about women in dominant positions - and if anyone makes a single, even slightly offensive comment to LGBT, they are instantly silenced. I've already said this though.

The reason there is retaliation, is because people simply cannot see why more and more rights and privileges are being clamoured for by these groups. Why? What more do you bloody want?
Original post by Algorithm69
Because women are not as interested in entering politics as men, and women make up the majority of voters and they vote for men. There is no institutional sexism at play here. In fact, the only sexism we have are Labour's all-women shortlists.

And no, company's do not have a "social responsibility". The only responsibility they have is to make a profit for their shareholders.

The bolded text is, word for word, a quotation from an opponent to women's suffrage in 1911. I'd have hoped that we've moved on a little since then.

And your second statement is firstly factually incorrect because not all companies are corporations, and is secondly an excellent reason why we need more corporate regulation.
The bolded text is, word for word, a quotation from an opponent to women's suffrage in 1911. I'd have hoped that we've moved on a little since then.

And your second statement is firstly factually incorrect because not all companies are corporations, and is secondly an excellent reason why we need more corporate regulation.

This thread is not about corporate regulation.

You didn't reply to my point earlier.
The arguments would not start if feminists and LGBT did not complain in the first place. The men on this site are already proof that feminism is widely accepted - look how passionate Chlorophile is about women in dominant positions - and if anyone makes a single, even slightly offensive comment to LGBT, they are instantly silenced. I've already said this though.

The reason there is retaliation, is because people simply cannot see why more and more rights and privileges are being clamoured for by these groups. Why? What more do you bloody want?

It doesn't start because of feminists or LGBT supporters, that's the point I'm trying to make. It starts because people make ridiculous and/or offensive threads.

What more do we want? Well I'd be pretty damn happy with equality, frankly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending