The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saltyjohn1
What morality do you subscribe to believe that people perceptions have to do with right or wrong?

As much as you try to deny it, most people's perceptions are influenced a lot by the opinions of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What does social convention have to do with morality?

Morality is often related to what we do rather than what we are. And we are social creatures, so what we do and how it affects other people is important when deciding how "moral" someone is, as well as just what is "good". It is morally good to be charitable, for example.

You can't assess morality in a vacuum because people don't live in a vacuum. They live in and are part of a society.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's not.

'Slut' girls are the most attractive, so other bitchy girls get jealous and try and offend them.

:rolleyes:
Reply 23
Original post by xDave-
I mean looking down on people who have multiple sexual relations.

It'd argue that they have the same origin- evolutionary. Long term relationships with promiscuous women are likely to be unwise evolutionary as their is a higher probability that any child you spend resources raising is not in fact your own and men who find promiscuity attractive are less likely to be selected to reproduce.

Religion is basically a populist conglomerate of the primitive feelings of man, and hence sluttiness is condemned.
Reply 24
Original post by desdemonata
Morality is often related to what we do rather than what we are. And we are social creatures, so what we do and how it affects other people is important when deciding how "moral" someone is, as well as just what is "good". It is morally good to be charitable, for example.

You can't assess morality in a vacuum because people don't live in a vacuum. They live in and are part of a society.

Social interactions are not the same things as social conventions
Social interactions are not the same things as social conventions

And social conventions arise from living within a society, as do our conceptions of morality.
Reply 26
Original post by desdemonata
And social conventions arise from living within a society, as do our conceptions of morality.

No branch of morality that I've ever heard of makes any mention to social conventions

-demonology: nope

-utilitarian: not really

-religion (although not really a credible source of moral guidance): nothing
No branch of morality that I've ever heard of makes any mention to social conventions

-demonology: nope

-utilitarian: not really

-religion (although not really a credible source of moral guidance): nothing

I didn't say social conventions was the same as morality. I said both social conventions and morality are heavily intertwined with society, and thus each other to some degree.
Reply 28
Original post by majmuh24
As much as you try to deny it, most people's perceptions are influenced a lot by the opinions of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does perception or opinion have to do with morality?

most of Muslim countries believe it is OK to stone homosexuals to death. Most atheist countries do not. Does that mean it's moral to stone gays to death in Muslim countries but not European?

most of Muslim countries believe it is OK to stone homosexuals to death. Most atheist countries do not. Does that mean it's moral to stone gays to death in Muslim countries but not European?

A lot, humans are social creatures and therefore our perceptions of right and wrong must be influenced by other people. If not, then who judges what is right and what is wrong? Some kind of judging ninja?

And that's why it's considered right in those countries, social convention says that it's alright to do that and a lot of people agree there that it is right, so to them, it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
A lot, humans are social creatures and therefore our perceptions of right and wrong must be influenced by other people. If not, then who judges what is right and what is wrong? Some kind of judging ninja?

And that's why it's considered right in those countries, social convention says that it's alright to do that and a lot of people agree there that it is right, so to them, it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you making points about the perception of morality? The OP was about morality. Do you believe that the only difference between right and wrong is people's perception?

If so, do you believe it would be moral to rape babies if it was deemed OK by 60% percent of the population?
Why are you making points about the perception of morality? The OP was about morality. Do you believe that the only difference between right and wrong is people's perception?

If so, do you believe it would be moral to rape babies if it was deemed OK by 60% percent of the population?

Yes, that's a large percentage of it. Obviously, not all of it, but perception has a large impact on it.

It would probably be considered morally right since a large percentage of people did it. Not so long ago, people used to hang black people in countries like America and nothing was seen as wrong with that.

Can you answer my previous question, that if we don't judge what is right or wrong, who does? Is something meant to be inherently right or wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is nothing wrong with a high sex drive. I'm glad that archaic opinion seems to be going away.
Reply 33
Yes, that's a large percentage of it. Obviously, not all of it, but perception has a large impact on it.

It would probably be considered morally right since a large percentage of people did it. Not so long ago, people used to hang black people in countries like America and nothing was seen as wrong with that.

Can you answer my previous question, that if we don't judge what is right or wrong, who does? Is something meant to be inherently right or wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let me answer your question with a question. Why does there need to be a judge? I am a utilitarian so I believe that a decision that is the best decision, from a moral standpoint, is the decision which results in the highest average happiness for everyone involved. So yes, I believe in objective morality which can be deduced as soon as we find a way to accurately measure happiness

Posted from TSR Mobile

More justifications for your own insecurity.

OP, nothing, however I dislike a lot of the "get drunk/smash someone you don't know" culture. But consenting adults having lots of sex? Fine
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
More justifications for your own insecurity.

OP, nothing, however I dislike a lot of the "get drunk/smash someone you don't know" culture. But consenting adults having lots of sex? Fine

Because I care what people think of me, I'm insecure?

So I would say that makes 99% of the world insecure then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36

There is no such thing as atheist country, and I'm getting rather tired of your casuistic babble. Yes a lot secular states condemn it, equally as Muslims. I mean who wouldn't condemn such barbarity? But what point are you trying to make abundantly clear? a lot of people unanimously condemn sluts, whether it be a Western state, or any for that matter. The whole foundation of society will plummet if we unanimously perceive as just and morally acceptable (conservative family values will perish, and read up psychological studies on the importance of male influence on nurturing children, as it quite common in divorces for women to get custody of the child and men to get cast out), and for you to draw parallels between stoning of homosexuals and condemnations of sluts is quite asinine. By the way slut is not just synonymous for females, but equally can be imparted on males. I'm not religious by the way, just have very conservative values.
(edited 10 years ago)
Because I care what people think of me, I'm insecure?

So I would say that makes 99% of the world insecure then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much.

Don't try and make out everyone cares about it
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Pretty much.

Don't try and make out everyone cares about it

And what gives you the right to set the criteria for what makes someone insecure?

I didn't say everyone, I said pretty much everyone.

Everyone I know cares about it, obviously there may be a few people who don't but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And what gives you the right to set the criteria for what makes someone insecure?

I didn't say everyone, I said pretty much everyone.

Everyone I know cares about it, obviously there may be a few people who don't but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm using the definition

Oh we're using anecdotal? Hardly anyone I know cares about it, so I guess that makes me right

Latest

Trending

Trending