The Student Room Group

Will I be behind with the maths?

I'm currently in my second year on a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering, I completed my first year with a Distinction* getting a distinction in all of my units including mathematics for Technicians, this year I'm doing further mathematics for technicians and am hoping to get the distinction aswell.

I have been given a conditional offer from Bristol on Electrical and electronics engineering. Will my mathematical knowledge be strong enough for this course if I haven't done A levels?
Original post by Britzy
I'm currently in my second year on a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering, I completed my first year with a Distinction* getting a distinction in all of my units including mathematics for Technicians, this year I'm doing further mathematics for technicians and am hoping to get the distinction aswell.

I have been given a conditional offer from Bristol on Electrical and electronics engineering. Will my mathematical knowledge be strong enough for this course if I haven't done A levels?

If they've accepted you, they clearly think that you're capable of doing the course well. You may well be behind some people in terms of the content you've covered (although I don't know the syllabus you're doing), but the fact of the matter is that Bristol think you can do it. If you're concerned, contact the University, but I think it'll be fine!
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
If they've accepted you, they clearly think that you're capable of doing the course well. You may well be behind some people in terms of the content you've covered (although I don't know the syllabus you're doing), but the fact of the matter is that Bristol think you can do it. If you're concerned, contact the University, but I think it'll be fine!

Thanks it's just my dad is saying I will struggle. Do you think it would be good if I went through K.A Stroud engineering mathematics?
Original post by Britzy
Thanks it's just my dad is saying I will struggle. Do you think it would be good if I went through K.A Stroud engineering mathematics?

No idea what that is. The University of Bristol knows what their course entails so if you're concerned that you'll struggle, contact them and I'm sure they will be happy to offer you advice.
Reply 4
Original post by Britzy
Do you think it would be good if I went through K.A Stroud engineering mathematics?

yes
Original post by Britzy
Will my mathematical knowledge be strong enough for this course if I haven't done A levels?

We can't answer that as we do not know what mathematics for technicians covers. The University of Bristol likely think that it is strong enough to gain entry to their course.

The best thing to do would be to look at the syllabus for, say, Al-level or IB maths, and compare it to the syllabus for maths for technicians, and then evaluate any areas where you may need to brush up on, if there are any.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending