The Student Room Group

All men are potential pedophiles?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smushy
Actually, what you are saying was the point of my thread, and the article. It's all about the irrational fear most people have towards men mixing with their children. I was just trying to kindle debate.

I'm not trying to perpetuate it, I'm trying to have people acknowledge it and talk about it. I'm trying to make sense out of something emotional. I will admit I am biased due to some personal circumstances, but I am not trying to say that all men tend towards pedophilia; notice the question mark on the thread title.

I agree with your side note, but I wonder how this could be achieved, and whether any attempts at change could be faced with opposition. I want to see the pros and cons, that's all.

Great. As a side side note I visited Belgium last year and your beer is ****ing awesome!
Reply 41
Original post by Jamerson
All men humans are potential paedophiles.

All men humans are potential murderers

etc etc

Except men are more likely. Just saying.
Reply 42
Original post by /dev/null
Great. As a side side note I visited Belgium last year and your beer is ****ing awesome!

Thanks!! Did you happen to go to Delirium in Brussels?
Original post by Smushy
So this: 'This will blow your mind OP, but did you know 100% of men used to be children? Coincidence, or is it just the illuminati lizard people paedophile conspiracy?' is not an insult? You are in no way implying I am a conspiracy theorist who is scared of men and is unaware of the basic facts of life? I'd say you're backtracking, but then I read your post and see you imply I have limited mental capacities because I do feel this article is worth mentioning.

The reason I wanted to discuss this article is because I wonder whether I have been irrationally biased against male nannies. Before I read this article, I vowed I wouldn't hire one. Why put your child at an unnecessary risk? Then I thought I should discuss it with generally rational people to get a more informed opinion.

If that were your concern, you shouldn't hire any nannies. I know you're already opening your mind to the fact you may have been prejudiced, but what risk did you think male nannies posed that wasn't there with female nannies?
I completely understand why men would be afraid of applying for primary school teaching jobs. It's a shame, because kids will mostly only experience women teachers. It would be better if there was a mix, but those parents with the idea that men want to take advantage of their little darlings is stopping that from happening.
Original post by Smushy
Thanks!! Did you happen to go to Delirium in Brussels?

No, but only due to lack of time. :frown:
Original post by Smushy
Her case was ages ago, and sadly she wasn't taken seriously by her family until the scandal with the priests broke. I do think it could be an interesting area of study in sociology how increased equality between the sexes is affecting the gender distribution in sex offenders. (if that sentence even makes grammatical sense.) :smile:

Lol, I don't know if that is necessarily true, but it does mean that both men and women aren't conformed to gender standards and can act as overt as they please, about whatever issue they please.
Reply 47
Original post by TurboCretin
If that were your concern, you shouldn't hire any nannies. I know you're already opening your mind to the fact you may have been prejudiced, but what risk did you think male nannies posed that wasn't there with female nannies?

That's true :smile: I just don't want to be a housewife, so I think hiring a nanny is unavoidable. My parents were very open-minded, so they hired a male nanny, and it wasn't the best of experiences.
Reply 48
No, but only due to lack of time. :frown:

You've really missed out! It's got some amazing beers, and just across the street there's an absinthe bar. Did you go to Brussels at all? :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by scriggy

Spoiler

We aim to please :awesome:
Original post by Smushy
You've really missed out! It's got some amazing beers, and just across the street there's an absinthe bar. Did you go to Brussels at all? :smile:

Yeah we did, had a couple of tripel beers (can't name them sorry!) and it just made the trip a whole lot more fun. :biggrin: Went to Bruges too and saw the wall of beers in the shop alleyway.

If I had a week in Belgium it would have to be in Bruges. It's absolutely beautiful. :redface:
Reply 51
Original post by Smushy
I'm so sorry to hear that :frown: My dad is also great with kids :smile: We always had a good time! I have noticed he is quite careful around them these days. I have to say I didn't have any male teachers, but the female teachers I had were draconian. I was dead scared of them ^.^
I wouldn't quite say they were draconian at my school... they just had a natural air of authority about them, one or two in particular. But they were very nice with it, and genuinely cared about the kids in their charge.
Reply 52
Yeah we did, had a couple of tripel beers (can't name them sorry!) and it just made the trip a whole lot more fun. :biggrin: Went to Bruges too and saw the wall of beers in the shop alleyway.

If I had a week in Belgium it would have to be in Bruges. It's absolutely beautiful. :redface:

That's alright, I'm no beer expert ^.^ I just like Kriek! Bruges is gorgeous, but a little dead, wouldn't you agree?
Reply 53
Original post by Tootles
I wouldn't quite say they were draconian at my school... they just had a natural air of authority about them, one or two in particular. But they were very nice with it, and genuinely cared about the kids in their charge.

Belgians tend to be very strict with kids. Whenever children do something wrong they are in for a severe scolding; corporal punishments are not unheard of within the home. My experience with scary teachers might be related to the fact that I went to primary school in a little traditional town though. I have to say the teachers really did care about the kids, but they just believed in tough love.
Reply 54
Original post by Smushy
Belgians tend to be very strict with kids. Whenever children do something wrong they are in for a severe scolding; corporal punishments are not unheard of within the home. My experience with scary teachers might be related to the fact that I went to primary school in a little traditional town though. I have to say the teachers really did care about the kids, but they just believed in tough love.
I was brought up that way, and wouldn't deny that I would hope to be the same kind of parent as my parents were to me.
Original post by Smushy
That's alright, I'm no beer expert ^.^ I just like Kriek! Bruges is gorgeous, but a little dead, wouldn't you agree?

Kriek! Believe I may have tried that. :smile: Also a few of my mates tried some strawberry beers (dubbel's?).

Yes, reminds me a bit of a medieval toytown. Gotta love In Bruges tho! :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by Tootles
I was brought up that way, and wouldn't deny that I would hope to be the same kind of parent as my parents were to me.

I'm not sure how I should classify the way I was raised. I think the best thing my parents did was make my brother and I feel unconditionally loved and supported, however mushy that may sound. They were both very busy, but they always made time for us and they spent a lot of time thinking about our education and trying to help us develop.
Original post by Smushy
I'm sorry if I've made this a bit awkward :redface:

I've read somewhere that women and men actually have quite a similar sex drive. I was thinking it could have something to do with control? It could be said men are traditionally encouraged to seek dominance, which could in extreme cases lead to pedophilia or rape?

You may not have heard that even controlling for time spent with children, mothers non-sexually abuse their children more than fathers. Women and men both seek dominance in all spheres - they just go about it in different ways. For example, women bitch, men fight.

As for sexual abuse, it is feminist claptrap to say it's to do with male aggression. This article makes for a thought-provoking read: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-sex/taboo-tolerance/female-sexual-abuse-the-untold-story-of-societys-last-taboo-1767688.html
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Everyone's a potential everything.

Well, within reason. I'm not a potential goldfish.
I'm on a Primary Ed course and I'm skeptical. There's probably some level of wariness out there, but any male who researches his desired profession will find out it's crying out for males. I would argue it has far more to do with the fact that women are just more inclined towards careers where children are involved, and especially young children - if we look at % of male teachers in secondary, it rises to 40%. Which is obviously a minority but an awful lot higher.
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SE.SEC.TCHR.FE.ZS

If it were the case that males were wary of being branded as paedophiles, or deviants, I would think it would remain at secondary as they are a lot more likely (as are female teachers) to get attention from students.

Also IMHO, I'd be raising an eyebrow if I saw a random person staring through the school gates - it's only natural.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending