The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
so what will it be this year
dear lord my class will need help we haven't done climate hazards since the beginning of the year we were old it would be mostly on forests
Reply 22
Original post by larenxmasserx
dear lord my class will need help we haven't done climate hazards since the beginning of the year we were old it would be mostly on forests

Forests? I don't actually think that is a section on OCR...
Original post by larenxmasserx

Forests? Nope. It;s either Climatic Hazards (Tropical Storms and Droughts) or Tectonic Hazards (Earthquakes and Volcanoes).
Original post by ghlgb
It was earthquakes last year..

Was it hurricanes the year before last?
Reply 25
What do u reckon it will be this year then...?
I've been told and seen on loads of websites that it'll be on tropical storms, so focus on that but also revise the other stuff, second most likely is drought.

I tried to anwer a few questions and found it really hard to use the resourse booklet, any tips on sentences to use when involving the data from the booklet, i don't understand how to incorporate it into my answer?
Reply 27
what will geogrpahy sdme be on this year then??
Original post by newmss
Hi!

Does anyone have any 'top tips' on how to get high marks on the Geography B SDME paper. Especially the 16 mark question?

Thanks

My teacher gave us this for the 16 marker:

DASSDRADFC (we complained because terrible acronym)

But:
Decision
Advantages - detail a compilation of reasons
Sustainability -
obviously ridiculously important, social, economic, environmental
Stakeholders -
less important but how pop. will benefit
Disadvantages -
state them but then outweigh them with good things
Rejected options
(Advantages
Disadvantages) -
state some nice things about the rejected choices and then DESTROY IT (rinse, repeat, as many times as it states you need to, might only ask to talk about one rejected choice)
Final decision
Conclusion

Anyways, so whilst DASSDRAD might not be very helpful necessarily (also a tad late, night before, but hey, only GCSEs, cramming woo), just constantly make sure you've evaluated the choices in regards to sustainability, and treat it almost as a debate, (or as I do, MUN, I treat it as a resolution because I have no life on some weekends and go to debating conferences yo). Honestly, the biggest part of it is making sure you've got enough - loads of people stop with tons of time to spare whereas in english, with a 16 marker, you wouldn't stop with just two sides of page and call it a day. Treat it as an essay and just make sure it's nice and structured. :3

(Ooh, and big words help, it just adds to the feel of intelligence in the answer, especially the word 'perpetuates')
Theresals, that was a informative tip thanks! Anywho, we've been told to solely revise tropical storms and 40 % volcanoes. The teacher thought that drought would be too easy to appear and is very unlikely. What did you guys do to prepare?
ANY TIPS?? Im completely clueless
I've been told to use 8 developed points to get the full 16 marks. As an example:

- State your chosen option
- Explain why your option is more sustainable than the other options
- Disadvantages of your option
- Possible advantage of rejected option

Topic: Coastal environments

Option A - Use rip rap/sea wall
Option B - Beach replenishment + maintain existing groynes
Option C - Managed retreat + compensate land owners

*CHOSE OPTION B*

4x PEE(L) paragraphs commenting on sustainability
1. Cheaper than sea wall to implement, (use evidence from booklet), more economically sustainable as costs local authorities less money over time
2. Managed retreat could damage environment/hurt ecosystem, (use own knowledge about sea birds breeding etc., how managed retreat could harm this), beach replenishment is more environmentally sustainable because does not damage local ecosystem.

2x disadvantages of chosen option
1. May need to be repeated, replenished material could be eroded, cost more money in the future, economically unsustainable

Advantage op 1 - much longer lasting, only small section of beach would need to be shut, reference to economic (tourism) sustainability also socially sustainable, wouldn't annoy residents as not large machinery

Advantage op 3 - Would be cheaper as no engineering needs to be done, more economically sustainable, no petrol burning machinery (environmentally unsustainable)

Just a quick draft but with some linking and explanation should get you the full marks
Could anyone explain the most sustainable options for MEDC's and LEDC's and the least sustainable options for MEDC's and LEDC's for protection against a tropical storm?
That go well for everyone?
Original post by TheresaIsSleepy
That go well for everyone?

know for the 8 mark question... I picked tarmac roads as one and i said that armac roads being built will encourage more people to use the shelters as tarmac has good grip so if there is more grip then people entering the shelter are less likely to fall reducing the risk of injury. This means more people could enter the shelter at once as there is less risk of health hazard which is why more people would use the shelter... ( i know you were meant to talk about cars but not many people have cars in bangladesh so would what i said be correct??) would i get marks for this??
Original post by Angelo12231
know for the 8 mark question... I picked tarmac roads as one and i said that armac roads being built will encourage more people to use the shelters as tarmac has good grip so if there is more grip then people entering the shelter are less likely to fall reducing the risk of injury. This means more people could enter the shelter at once as there is less risk of health hazard which is why more people would use the shelter... ( i know you were meant to talk about cars but not many people have cars in bangladesh so would what i said be correct??) would i get marks for this??

I'm pretty sure a ton of that exam as long as you've justified your answer fairly decently you get the marks, but I can't say for sure, so I don't know in regards to that :')
Original post by TheresaIsSleepy
I'm pretty sure a ton of that exam as long as you've justified your answer fairly decently you get the marks, but I can't say for sure, so I don't know in regards to that :')

how'd u think you done?
Found this exam quite easy but was a bit annoyed that there wasn't more information about the options within the resource booklet :mad:
Reply 38
i did higher did anyone else do that??
Original post by Emilydimmock98
Found this exam quite easy but was a bit annoyed that there wasn't more information about the options within the resource booklet :mad:

what mark you think you got?

Latest

Trending

Trending