The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Accommodation - Park Houses?

Can anyone give me any information about the Park Houses at Sussex? They're my top option at the moment but they seem to be the least talked about and they weren't open when I visited on an open day.

I can't really go more expensive than Lewes Court, I'm not fussed about an en-suite and sharing with people, but I do want somewhere sociable - when I went into the Park Village accommodation I didn't like the layout because there was no communal area/corridor so it just didn't feel very welcoming. Based on all that, would you recommend Park Houses?
Reply 1
I have experience with Lancaster House but this was a few years ago so things may be different now...

I actually really loved it there - it was very sociable. The building is basically a big square, and separated into 'corridors'. Four to each floor (although the bottom floor is bit different). At the end of each corridor is a shared kitchen, and there are a few bathrooms along the way too. There are about 12 people to each corridor. As I said, it was very sociable and we had a few corridor parties ourselves and went to parties on other floors too. The layout makes it pretty good.
As far as I'm aware the other park houses have the same corridor set-up so things should be relatively similar there too.

The facilities when I was there weren't the best and the corridors were kind of dingy but as far as I'm aware they were planning on doing them up soon after I left so hopefully things will have improved. Even if they haven't though I really wouldn't let it put you off staying there as there are far more important things to think about!

If you have any questions let me know - but bear in mind my advice may be a bit out of date by now :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by sussexPG
I have experience with Lancaster House but this was a few years ago so things may be different now...

I actually really loved it there - it was very sociable. The building is basically a big square, and separated into 'corridors'. Four to each floor (although the bottom floor is bit different). At the end of each corridor is a shared kitchen, and there are a few bathrooms along the way too. There are about 12 people to each corridor. As I said, it was very sociable and we had a few corridor parties ourselves and went to parties on other floors too. The layout makes it pretty good.
As far as I'm aware the other park houses have the same corridor set-up so things should be relatively similar there too.

The facilities when I was there weren't the best and the corridors were kind of dingy but as far as I'm aware they were planning on doing them up soon after I left so hopefully things will have improved. Even if they haven't though I really wouldn't let it put you off staying there as there are far more important things to think about!

If you have any questions let me know - but bear in mind my advice may be a bit out of date by now :smile:

That's really helpful, thanks :smile: I like the idea of the corridors, I think that sounds really social. I've heard that York House has security and reception at the bottom though, surely that's not ideal for having corridor parties and stuff?! There isn't any way you can choose which house you end up in right?

I'm not fussed about facilities so that's fine. Thanks again!
Reply 3
No problem! Yeah you're right about the security being at York House but they're kind of in their own little section, I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any rooms too close to them so corridor parties should be fine! York house also has a computer room which is really handy for last minute essay printing....

And no, unfortunately you can't pick which house but I don't know anyone who had a bad experience in any of them so you should be fine! Another plus is that many people don't put Park Houses down as their first accommodation choice so you'll almost definitely get in if it's your first choice. And even though most people didn't want to live there to begin with, everyone loves it once they're there!
Reply 4
Original post by sussexPG
No problem! Yeah you're right about the security being at York House but they're kind of in their own little section, I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any rooms too close to them so corridor parties should be fine! York house also has a computer room which is really handy for last minute essay printing....

And no, unfortunately you can't pick which house but I don't know anyone who had a bad experience in any of them so you should be fine! Another plus is that many people don't put Park Houses down as their first accommodation choice so you'll almost definitely get in if it's your first choice. And even though most people didn't want to live there to begin with, everyone loves it once they're there!

That sounds good, yeah I've heard that not many people put it down which seems strange because from all I've heard it sounds like the perfect middle ground! Oh well, I think I'm just about settled on it. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest