The Student Room Group

Which GCSE grade will count?

Let me explain, in January I sat International GCSE English Language as a private candidate and achieved A*. However, my school is insisting that I sit the regular GCSE in June, so they can get a result for the Performance Tables. My question is: If I were to get a lower grade in June, which grade will count (for me to use for UCAS, Sixth Form etc.)?
I presume the highest will count, but am I wrong?
Reply 1
Aren't IGCSE and GCSE separate qualification? So I think both counts....and you have to put every single grades in these exams as far as I know...

BUT I am not sure. I take IGCSEs but I'm just guessing.
But honestly, I think you should just ignore the school. Not like you can get kicked out of the school for not taking it because you took similar one already. Not worth risking imo
DesignPredator - Do you mind me asking how you went about sitting the International GCSE? Was it the one with no coursework you did?
I am hopeless at the GCSE controlled assessments and know I'm on the road to failing again this year in year 12. I looked online and can find distance learning sites offering the IGCSE with no C/A's and its just the exam you sit. Which I think is the best route for me to take.

However the cost is massive and you still have to send them work over the year that you are studying with them then pay to sit the exam that you have to figure out yourself anyway.

I am curious how you went about doing yours? Was the study any different and did you just rock up as a private candidate and sit the exam with no different prep to what you are doing for normal GCSE.

Thank you for any help and pointers
Reply 3
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lash
Ring the exam board that the school is making you sit the paper for and tell them your situation, or speak to your school and tell them that you refuse to sit it, they can't force you to sit an exam and if you're explicitly asked to not sit it they have to remove you from the people who have applied for it, you need to sort something out ASAP though so speak to your exams officer at school and if they're still not budging ring the exam board. Also, try to email your exams officer so you have something in writing.

Schools can't force you to sit an exam, but they can enter you without your consent. Which could in theory result in a U.
Original post by tillycat123
DesignPredator - Do you mind me asking how you went about sitting the International GCSE? Was it the one with no coursework you did?
I am hopeless at the GCSE controlled assessments and know I'm on the road to failing again this year in year 12. I looked online and can find distance learning sites offering the IGCSE with no C/A's and its just the exam you sit. Which I think is the best route for me to take.

However the cost is massive and you still have to send them work over the year that you are studying with them then pay to sit the exam that you have to figure out yourself anyway.

I am curious how you went about doing yours? Was the study any different and did you just rock up as a private candidate and sit the exam with no different prep to what you are doing for normal GCSE.

Thank you for any help and pointers

My recommendation would be to find a private centre (depending on your location it may be easy or difficult),http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/find-a-centre/Pages/Where-can-I-take-edexcel-exams.aspx
and ask to sit the 4EA0 Edexcel Spec.
Original post by DesignPredator
My recommendation would be to find a private centre (depending on your location it may be easy or difficult),http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/find-a-centre/Pages/Where-can-I-take-edexcel-exams.aspx
and ask to sit the 4EA0 Edexcel Spec.

Many thanks for the reply,
I've worked out about as far as you suggest but I have looked at the past papers edexcel have online. What I cant quite figure out is the Anthology questions. Do you need to study certain material before the exam so that you are totally up to speed on the questions? It seems you perhaps will know before the exam what the theme of the question will be? Unlike the AQA papers for GCSE where its just whatever it asks on the day no text to pre learn if that makes sense.

I was looking at distance learning and doing it next year, but for £450+ I cant figure if its necessary to go that route or just a case of learning set pieces that I would need to get hold of before hand for these questions?

many thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest