The Student Room Group

How do you cope with exam stress? Share your tips!

Hey everyone,

I've noticed a lot of posts about people feeling stressed-out recently. :frown:

I thought I'd share my favourite technique for calming nerves. It's good for exams, interviews, first dates -anything really! :smile: It's called deep breathing, or abdominal breathing:

1) Place one hand on your abdomen. When you breathe in, you should feel your abdomen expanding.

2) Take a slow, deep breath in through your nose to the count of 7.

4) Slowly breathe out of your mouth to the count of 11.

When you’re feeling highly anxious or nervous the longer out-breath naturally calms the body and mind, easing any negative sensations. When you feel really anxious your brain will initiate the fight or flight response which will mean you are unable to focus or concentrate. This response means that the primitive part of your brain takes over and locks out your logical brain which is the part that will enable you to revise, interpret and understand information and archive it into your memory store.

Once your mind and body has calmed down through your breath your logical part of the brain will take main stage once again enabling you to be able to locate information from your memory.

What are your best ways of dealing with stress? :bubbles:
Reply 1
PuddlesTheMonkey
What are your best ways of dealing with stress? :bubbles:

I usually talk to someone about my stress or try and do something about it. I try not to sit there and let it eat away at me. That's the worst thing to do.

Darren
I try to avoid the OH MY GOD I'M SO STRESSED conversations at school which works pretty well, I find that other people's stress rubs off very easily. Also just before an exam when you're waiting to go in don't listen to anyone feverishly reciting facts, it's really not helpful and just makes you think you don't know anything!
Reply 3
I pray, works every time! Thanks God! :angel:
Does any know any good meditation videos? Apparently that helps with stress and positivity, which is what I need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I usually ask someone to tell me a joke because laughing relieves my stress for some reason. Also when I feel like I'm going to explode I just stop, listen to music and go for a walk :smile:
Ice cream.
Reply 7
I don't. I let it all build up until I have a massive breakdown :/ I know that's not good but I honestly don't know how to cope with stress

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I create a to-do list and make sure I know exactly what each thing on the list involves. Then I order them in terms of priorities - which ones have the earliest deadline? Which ones will take the longest/need more attention/work? I make sure my desk is clear and I use fun things to do in my breaks to make sure that I'm getting stuff done (and therefore reducing my stress) and destressing also through the process of my breaks with the fun things I do. Like, a fun thing could be watching a youtube video or surfing the internet, or reading a book for pleasure or watching half a TV program with a cup of tea. I also try to make sure I destress before I go to bed so I can sleep more easily - deep breaths and self reflection of how much progress I have made that day ensures I know I am on track to making things easier and more controllable for myself.
Original post by fglover
I create a to-do list and make sure I know exactly what each thing on the list involves. Then I order them in terms of priorities - which ones have the earliest deadline? Which ones will take the longest/need more attention/work? I make sure my desk is clear and I use fun things to do in my breaks to make sure that I'm getting stuff done (and therefore reducing my stress) and destressing also through the process of my breaks with the fun things I do. Like, a fun thing could be watching a youtube video or surfing the internet, or reading a book for pleasure or watching half a TV program with a cup of tea. I also try to make sure I destress before I go to bed so I can sleep more easily - deep breaths and self reflection of how much progress I have made that day ensures I know I am on track to making things easier and more controllable for myself.

Ah, that sounds perf. I will attempt to emulate...excellent work!
Reply 10
I make a to-do list with every tiny little task nagging at the back of my mind. I also look at my UMS scores so I know exactly what I need to get in the exams which is nice as it gives a definitive goal.

I think it's important to make sure you're eating and drinking well. I know sometimes it seems like preparing a nice meal is such a waste of time as is constantly getting up to get drinks but you'll perform much better.

This is quote hippy-ish of me but at around 5:30 when the sun is setting I like to make myself a cup of coffee and sit at my window and just watch the sunset, it's really relaxing. :smile: But obviously this can only be done when it's clear out :frown:

I also recommend using the pomodoro technique (25 minutes of work, 5 minute break. Repeat 4/5 times before taking a longer (10-30 minute) break. I use the timer on pomodoro.me This ensures you're getting a nice break fairly often to prevent yourself from burning out. I spend the time watching Youtube videos, or TV shows (but it takes a lot of self-discipline to pause it when the break is over).
I don't study anymore because I'm too old. However, stress can drive you two ways - either you panic and freeze, you cripple yourself and can't work. Or you use the fear of the exams to work your socks off.

LeaX - this breaking technique always worked for me, I have a short concentration span - but others can work for hours. There is no right study technique - it depends on you and what you're learning. When it comes to material you know and feel comfortable on, you can spend hours rehearsing it without breaking. The more boring and unfamiliar the material, the more difficult. Your mind prefers to do the easy familiar things than the unfamiliar.

A lot of fear comes from the unknown - so know your enemy and understand the exam papers you will be facing. Practice, practice, practice. Topic spot - thereby cutting out vast chunks of the syllabus - i.e. if you have 10 questions, and there are 3/4 to answer, you can feasibly cut out 4 of the topics which are a) unlikely to come up and/or b) boring/too difficult. When you have an idea of what you're actually doing rather thinking 'Jesus Christ look at this 500 page textbook', you will be less stressed and more focussed.

I definitely think fear is a very useful emotion; however, there are no rules, and both very relaxed and very stressed people can do very well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending