The Student Room Group

[POLL] If a homeless guy asked you for money, what would you do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geoking
What a stretch.

Just following your logic :wink:
Original post by geoking
You enabled junkys to get high. Your view is very naive.

I never gave anything to those people. It seems to me you want to pick a quarrel. How childish! No mood, kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bubble999
Buy him/her food and water - so I know I'm not just handing money over to fuel any chance of addictions.

I've experienced this before:

"Can you spare some change?"
Me: "I'll buy you some food instead"
"No, I'll just have the cash"

I wonder what they really want it for... :redface:

Yes, I agree! But, this only possible when you're not in a rush, I guess!

And also, I guess this way, you're able to filter out the people that really do need food, and not cash for drugs and alcohol.
Original post by majmuh24
Some people in life are just dicks, and their dick-ish ways are unknown to all but themselves. :iiam:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

Original post by Ripper-Roo
people sneering at the homeless from their computer chair. typical tsr.

Also this.

Original post by majmuh24
Maybe, and there's nothing wrong with that, but try and let the guy down gently. Abusing a homeless person is kind of harsh IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This again.

Original post by Kaeseia
I voted 'other'. I rarely come across a homeless person, but there is one 'regular' who just sits on the fence outside Morrisons and asks a few people who walk past him if they have any change. The homeless people I do see are almost always outside supermarkets or food shops.

I'm the type of person who feels guilt but out of fear of feeding a junkie's habit or handing my money away to a gambler, I will buy them something small from the shop I'm going into. Usually a hot drink or maybe a small cold cut sandwich. I think even if they don't get any money from anyone else, at least they've had something warm or something to eat, y'know?

I can say as I walk past "no, sorry, I have no change" honestly, because I pay by card everywhere. I'm a poor student but I'd like to think somebody would do the same for me.

Mmm, I agree!

Original post by Mackay
I usually give them a cigarette.

Why, do they ask for for a cigarette?

Original post by Gjaykay
I try and give most homeless people I come across at least something, even if it is only a penny in my back pocket. It's like I can't help it, seeing people out on the street breaks my black little heart :frown:

Agreed!

No, it's not your fault, I never claimed it was. But one day you could be made homeless.

You're not in that situation because you had parents that (presumably) cared for you and you've had a roof over your head and never in a situation where you've been kicked out. You can then apply for jobs etc, to ensure you're in a better financial position.

Everyone has problems etc, but I don't think it gets as bad as having no home to go to. Just kicking them when they're down and saying they brought it upon themselves achieves nothing.

This, so this!

Original post by Blind Ferret
Also just a point, those who say they'll ignore him, pretend not to hear. I understand it can make you awkward, you don't want to be bothered. But it's such a horrible thing to do.

He'll be getting called names, ignored, treated as sub-human all day. You can at least give a quick smile, polite nod, it doesn't have to be verbal. Just an acknowledgement.

I agree! The amount of people I see giving them disgusted looks, is ridiculous.

The other day I was such a bitch.

I was going into Tesco and as I don't bring cash with me I always bring my card. I couldn't give any spare change to a homeless person who asked because I didn't have any.

What I should have done though was offer him some of my crisps/other food as I came out with bags of shopping. :facepalm2: Realized this as I was half way up the road back.

Although it's questionable when they sit by cash machines, guilt tripping people and it's an invasion of privacy for anyone to be in your personal space when you're at the machine

Ahhh, you should have! But, it is a bit weird if they're sitting near cash machines!
Original post by Alfissti
I generally ignore anyone who approaches me on the street. Vagrants are automatically blanked out.

I definitely won't be giving them any money as essentially that is preventing them from getting the help they need.

Fair enough. But, why are vagrants automatically blanked out? Surely, you can buy them some food?

Original post by NathanW18
I would say that I don't have any money on me. I won't be guilt tripped in giving away my money. I don't have enough it for myself. Nevermind giving it away.

Fair enough.

Original post by emobambam
I usually give them money.I figure no matter how bad my life is it's better than their life.I just give a small amount of money.money I wouldn't miss.

Agreed!

Original post by WednesdayAddams
I have bought homeless people food before and also given them money; I have always regretted the latter. I've done a lot of volunteering with the homeless and with substance a users, my current job involves quite a lot of contact with them and I think in the majority of cases it's just used to fund their addiction. I don't have a moral problem with addiction, but I'd rather not enable it.

OP if you feel guilty about not giving the gentleman money why not donate some to a homeless charity?

Mm, I think the best thing to do is to buy them some food and I will, once I start earning! :lol:

Original post by Sherry1993
I would'nt, infact I dont give money to homeless people.
I will go and buy them a sandwich or hot drink or something like that, because I wouldnt like to think I was contributing to any alcohol or drug use.

Last christmas a friend and myself had a few tins of celebrations left over, so we went into town on boxing day to a car park where a lot of homeless people in our city gather, we gave out the boxes of celebrations along with some other stuff. We bought some gloves and drinks from the 99p shop, bought some hot food from greggs and distributed that.
Two of the guys where actually in tears and said it had been the nicest and most generous thing any stranger had done. Especially at that time of year, they offered us a couple of their cans of special brew which we didnt accept, but we did stay with them for a couple hours talking and getting to know their stories.
I openly told them why I didnt give money to the homeless but had no reservations in buying them a burger or sandwich or something of the like.
Most understood my views a couple of course did disagree, but in all we made their day and it cost us very little. A little really can go a long way :smile:

Awhh, that's really sweet! Well done! :hugs:

Original post by Welsh_insomniac
It's interesting when I think about my own behaviour. I never give homeless people money, I sometimes give them a beer or food or something if I've got some on me but I don't really give away much money. But when someone who isn't homeless is in need I'm willing to step up and pay them for a train ticket, or give that extra bit of money if they are at a checkout and short at the supermarket. From time to time I buy friends drinks without really expecting a return (though it normally happens).

It may make me sound like a bad person but I just don't feel the same need to help homeless people as I do with others. I don't know if it's because I can't empathise with them and I'm sure they do suffer constantly but I just get the feeling that the money I give just isn't appreciated, that it's a means to get a fix.

Mm, I do understand!

Original post by Callie-X
An interesting read.

What is this automatic right to free housing from the government that a few mention? Not true - local authorities have a legal duty to conduct an assessment when they believe that the presenting individual may be homeless, but only have to provide accommodation if said person is vulnerable/deemed in "priority need" - as well as meeting other requirements as stated in the Homelessness Act.

That said - the often used "I need 20 quid for my hostel tonight" is 99.9% of the time a ruse. (I don't say 100% as perhaps someone is due to be evicted due to IC arrears, but in my experience, if these have reached the point where an NTQ has been issued, the person is unlikely to go out begging just to raise the money).

I opted for "other" in the poll. In many places, (Cities, can't speak for rural areas), there are services available to assist people who are rough sleeping; have dependency issues etc but it can often take a lot of motivation and/or desperation to go through the whole process of working with these support agencies towards a recovery.
If somebody is being helped out by well-meaning members of the public through financial gifts, then it makes it easier to stay 'stuck' in that lifestyle.
I think what people don't already realise, is that people can make a lot of money from begging (again, in cities). In London I have known folk to be given on average £80 per day (sometimes much more), and that's on top of food and clothes. Support agencies have a real battle when trying to engage with clients who are successfully begging - how can they compete with that? It's an overused cliché, often quoted in 12-step contexts (of which I'm not a fan) but "rock bottom" is sometimes the best motivator for accepting help - it'll take much longer to want to change your situation if you are being financially rewarded to stay doing what you're doing by begging.

Also, not everyone who is begging is actually street homeless (they may have been at one time, may be in hostels, with friends etc - but not necessarily rough sleeping).

Despite all I've said, to be in a position where you feel you have to beg is a desperate and soul destroying place to be. If you genuinely want to help folk who say they are homeless, instead of money - why not direct them to services that in in your local area for help. Providing someone with information is sometimes the best form of help you can give!

If you're concerned about a rough sleeper/want to report someone being street homeless, you can contact
Street Link and they will inform Outreach Teams which cover that locality.

Day Centres for housing advice and free food can be found by using the search engine on
Homeless Uk

Sources: no statistics to throw at you - just anecdotal evidence from my work with homeless men and women (with drug dependencies and mental health issues) for 10 years (and my personal 4 year history of rough sleeping).

Cal :smile:

Thank you!

Original post by Blind Ferret
Tell him I owe Wonga £450, so technically I have less money than he has at that point.

If I have change to spare, i'd give it him. I'm only gonna spend my money (small change) on some stupid **** I don't need anyway.

Mmm, understood!
Original post by Bridget Jones
Yes, I agree! But, this only possible when you're not in a rush, I guess!

And also, I guess this way, you're able to filter out the people that really do need food, and not cash for drugs and alcohol.

Yeah, very true. but generally I don't give money to homeless people just in case :redface:

Exactly :smile:
Yeah, very true. but generally I don't give money to homeless people just in case :redface:

Exactly :smile:

Fair enough!
Told him I would not give him money directly but would give him resources that were necessary for his survival (such as food or water).
i would not want him to spend his money on junk food or organic food so i would buy from his heroin dealer directly and give it to him/her as a gift
Reply 249
Original post by skunkboy
Liar. I never gave anything to those people. It seems to me you want to pick a quarrel. How childish! No mood, kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because being patronising is a great attitude.

If you gave them money, you gave them drugs. If you gave them food, you allowed them to continue on with their cycle.
Original post by Kierkegaard
Told him I would not give him money directly but would give him resources that were necessary for his survival (such as food or water).

This seems to be the best option, love your username, btw!

Original post by rickfloss
i would not want him to spend his money on junk food or organic food so i would buy from his heroin dealer directly and give it to him/her as a gift

Sarcastic responses are not welcome.
Depends on my mood, sometimes I'll give money, other times I'll say sorry but no.

I keep meaning to give my sleeping bag to someone I see sleeping rough, I only use it once a year or so and I'm sure they'd find it much more useful. Never anyone sleeping sufficiently close to my house to trigger the idea though.
Original post by Bridget Jones
Fair enough!

So tonight I was in town and a homeless guy came up to me and I gave him change. It's weird, because normally I wouldn't, but I just feel like I wanted to :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So tonight I was in town and a homeless guy came up to me and I gave him change. It's weird, because normally I wouldn't, but I just feel like I wanted to :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awh, that's; nice! :smile:
To date i have never given a homeless person any money however, u would assume that if they r truly homeless they have absolutely nothing therefore i tend to give the few homeless people i see around my local town food or a hot drink in winter and some do take it gratefully
If I have change then I give money, but if I have a bit extra time then I buy them food instead.
Reply 256
I don't give money but I always offer to take the person for a meal and I sit with them in a restaurant having a coffee and an interesting time. I feel if I was this person how would I feel. I don't want to give money for drugs/alcohol/tobacco etc., but food... no problem.
I am homeless, but do my best not to look so. Why? Because of prejudice from society, I like to make an effort to look good. Funnily enough I get other homeless people begging, and I have to turn them away as I have to help me first. When my money runs out its tge end of the road for me. I cannot work due to ill health, the system has shoved people like me into a box. I dont fit into a box, let alone a cardboard one.
The years spent proving my case has been beyond stressful, and totally unnecessary. Yet so many are in the same "box". Money could be used for drugs, alcohol for those suffering addictions. Others like myself suffer food allergies which are life threatening within itself.

what would help is for people to get involved, setup healthy food centres. I am not sure if food banks offering chips, tin foods (killing us slowly with love), is what comes to my mind. Homeless people need Jamie Olivers, Gordon Ramsays on the corners of the streets.

Housing, amaxing spaces on TV - do it for the homeless! Where are the people with the skills, knowledge to assist instead of whining? Nobody here is coming up with solutions!

Quick Reply

Latest