The Student Room Group

I hate music (yes, all of it)

Yes. All of it.
I find music is just an annoying noise, or a tainted poem. As far as I can tell it is utterly pointless, and yet everyone around me seems to be talking about their favourite band or singing some song to themselves or each other, and people seem genuinely interested in it. I don't understand why?
I know I probably seem ignorant to the rest of society, but can someone please explain why music is so 'great'? And is there anyone else here with the same views as me? (So far it's only my younger sister that I know of that also hates music.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How could you loathe classical and Jazz compositions? my friend, your world must be bereft of any colour... “Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Nietzche
(edited 10 years ago)
I can't really understand how you can dislike all music :s-smilie: maybe you just haven't found your thing yet.
Reply 3
Sound, is nourishing to the soul.
I actually feel a bit sorry for you, music is such an amazing thing to be missing out on..
Reply 5
I'd probably have run off a cliff if it wasn't for music
Reply 6
Music gets me through a lot, what motivates you to do anything? Don't you like tunes of anything?
It expresses my feeling?
I had a phase where I couldnt listen to any music as it was annoying but just one song appeals which was [h="1"]HE-MAN HEYEAYEA[/h]
WTF
Reply 8
Original post by Robbie242

Seconded, I'd go mad. :colondollar:

Do you like any other creative stuff, OP, like art or poetry (or non-intelligent film)?
Reply 9
Even hipsters don't take it this far.
Original post by Robbie242

Same. Usually if I feel sad for no apparent reason, it's because I've somehow gone a few days without the weird and wonderful feelings music evokes
Original post by orporman
Yes. All of it.
I find music is just an annoying noise, or a tainted poem. As far as I can tell it is utterly pointless, and yet everyone around me seems to be talking about their favourite band or singing some song to themselves or each other, and people seem genuinely interested in it. I don't understand why?
I know I probably seem ignorant to the rest of society, but can someone please explain why music is so 'great'? And is there anyone else here with the same views as me? (So far it's only my younger sister that I know of that also hates music.)

I am mainly indifferent to it, and prefer the spoken word or silence. I have phases of liking things but they are rare. I particularly loathe busking, which is an intrusion into my personal space, I feel. If I wanted to listen to music (and I don't) I would want it to be a time, place and song of my choosing, performed to a professional level. I do realise that I'm unusual in this respect and have met very few people in my life who feel the same. I don't feel as if I'm losing out at all.
Nothing is better than when you just zone out of life momentarily with your earphones on while you're on the bus, walking somewhere, at the gym etc.
Reply 13
Music sustains me tbh
Only on TSR
Reply 15
Music annoys me.
Wha... but.... how.... have you listened to The Killers?

Music is one of humankind's greatest inventions, imo.
I have to say not liking music is bizarre because I personally couldn't live without it. I won't judge you for it though - whatever floats your boat and all that.
Reply 18
Original post by TheDaylighter
I can't really understand how you can dislike all music :s-smilie: maybe you just haven't found your thing yet.

My thoughts exactly, there is just SO much music out there, the stuff you hear on radio 1 or 2 or your local Heart barely scratches the surface as to what's out there, there's 100s of different genres and styles out there, I honestly don't think anyone could listen to all of them (if that was even possible) and say they hated all of it.

So my advice to the OP would be to look around, by the sounds of things popular music isn't for you, but if you look around enough at different genres and styles from around the world, I will be amazed if you still say you hate it all.
Original post by orporman
l it is utterly pointless, and yet everyone around me seems genuinely interested in it. I don't understand why?

What is it with you nerds ?

WHY must everything have a logical explanation and point ?

I don't get the point in fashion
I don't get the point in music
What are the benefits of clubbing
Why do people drink
Why do people choose Arts
Why do people smile

Just gtfo , you people make me sick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending