I hate music (yes, all of it)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by EastGuava
:yep:

:colonhash::congrats:

Always hard to tell on the internet!
Reply 81
Its funny, because if someone says they don't like sport (yes all of it), people shrug. But if someone says they don't like music (yes all of it), they flip their ****. Both are an equally huge part of human self expression and interaction, yet it is ok to be completely ignorant of the one but not the other.
Original post by Wrath121
How could you loathe classical and Jazz compositions? my friend, your world must be bereft of any colour... “Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Nietzche

As above. The fact you say you hate all music makes me sad. Are you sure you just haven't explored music enough, and haven't found anything worth listening to? If you go by what is played on the main radio stations these days then I don't blame you.

I couldn't imagine my life without music. It's got me through the hardest times of my life.
Original post by cole-slaw
Its funny, because if someone says they don't like sport (yes all of it), people shrug. But if someone says they don't like music (yes all of it), they flip their ****. Both are an equally huge part of human self expression and interaction, yet it is ok to be completely ignorant of the one but not the other.

In order to enjoy a sport, you must first understand a sport.

Take oval racing for example. Almost literally cars going round in circles. Take time to learn the intricacies of motorsport tactics such as fuel and tyre strategy, car management, track placement and race strategy then it turns in to an adrenaline fuelled 500 mile, 200+ mph epic.

Music however, you can hear for the first time without any knowledge music theory and love it.
Reply 84
Original post by mikeyd85
In order to enjoy a sport, you must first understand a sport.

Take oval racing for example. Almost literally cars going round in circles. Take time to learn the intricacies of motorsport tactics such as fuel and tyre strategy, car management, track placement and race strategy then it turns in to an adrenaline fuelled 500 mile, 200+ mph epic.

Music however, you can hear for the first time without any knowledge music theory and love it.

I don't think that's true, you can sit someone down in front of a rugby game and even without any knowledge of the rules the sheer intensity of the sport would be overwhelming.

Obviously understanding sport, like understanding music, leads to a fuller appreciation. But I think its incorrect to say that sport cannot be enjoyed without a full level of understanding. I have no idea what is going on in Aussie Rules Football or a load of these mental winter Olympic sports, but its still a diverting sight.

Conversely, I just don't "get" a lot of styles of music, and don't appreciate them as much as other people might. Opera leaves me completely cold, as does a lot of electronic music.
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Wha... but.... how.... have you listened to The Killers?

Music is one of humankind's greatest inventions, imo.

Are you kidding me? The greatest (2nd to Jazzy B anyway) is Masonna (MASONNA NOT MADONNA)
I don't think that's true, you can sit someone down in front of a rugby game and even without any knowledge of the rules the sheer intensity of the sport would be overwhelming.

Obviously understanding sport, like understanding music, leads to a fuller appreciation. But I think its incorrect to say that sport cannot be enjoyed without a full level of understanding. I have no idea what is going on in Aussie Rules Football or a load of these mental winter Olympic sports, but its still a diverting sight.

Conversely, I just don't "get" a lot of styles of music, and don't appreciate them as much as other people might. Opera leaves me completely cold, as does a lot of electronic music.

See, I understand rugby and I still find it dull. But that's just me and rugby.

Which winter Olympic sports do you refer to? Skeleton is mental... but there's not that much to it either - it is very easy to understand. Person + ice slope + tea tray + clock = Skeleton. And whilst it is indeed a diverting sight, would you stay to watch it for 30 / 45 / 60 minutes without picking up your phone? Hell, I love watching Curling, but even then I get distracted! Aussie rules football is a fun game to drink to. Every time something happens and you don't know why - drink!

Not getting music is totally fine. It's more the fact that you do get other types of music and you'd listen to them time and time again without knowledge of musical theory or production that kinda makes my point.

RE Opera: I felt the same way until I saw a young girl singing it on Holland's Got Talent. It's about the live, emotive performance for me.
Reply 87
Original post by mikeyd85
See, I understand rugby and I still find it dull. But that's just me and rugby.

Which winter Olympic sports do you refer to? Skeleton is mental... but there's not that much to it either - it is very easy to understand. Person + ice slope + tea tray + clock = Skeleton. And whilst it is indeed a diverting sight, would you stay to watch it for 30 / 45 / 60 minutes without picking up your phone? Hell, I love watching Curling, but even then I get distracted! Aussie rules football is a fun game to drink to. Every time something happens and you don't know why - drink!

Not getting music is totally fine. It's more the fact that you do get other types of music and you'd listen to them time and time again without knowledge of musical theory or production that kinda makes my point.

RE Opera: I felt the same way until I saw a young girl singing it on Holland's Got Talent. It's about the live, emotive performance for me.

I find myself agreeing with you, but I don't think anything here contradicts my initial assertion.

Some sports/music genres I understand and love, some I understand and still dislike, some I don't know much about but can still vaguely appreciate to greater or lesser degrees.

For some reason it is socially acceptable to dismiss the entirety of sports or visual art or theatre, but not to dismiss the entirety of music or cinema or tv. I think this is silly and arbitrary.
Reply 88
Original post by orporman
Yes. All of it.
I find music is just an annoying noise, or a tainted poem. As far as I can tell it is utterly pointless, and yet everyone around me seems to be talking about their favourite band or singing some song to themselves or each other, and people seem genuinely interested in it. I don't understand why?
I know I probably seem ignorant to the rest of society, but can someone please explain why music is so 'great'? And is there anyone else here with the same views as me? (So far it's only my younger sister that I know of that also hates music.)

The way you've described how you feel about music sounds like something someone with amusia would say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusia

That's not to say that you can't just not like all music, because of course you can. But amusia was the first thing that popped into my head, anyway (especially as you said your sister also feels the same way).
For some reason it is socially acceptable to dismiss the entirety of sports or visual art or theatre, but not to dismiss the entirety of music or cinema or tv. I think this is silly and arbitrary.

When you give your argument more scope, it really does seem baffling! I can't say that I have any interest in visual art. Sure there are some thing I like, but that tends to be science based art anyway such as:

Which is Irish Pale Ale crystallised with false colours (IIRC).

Maybe it's because I don't understand how people create art.
Reply 90
I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for music, it really shapes a person imo.
Original post by Tom78
I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for music, it really shapes a person imo.

It really shapes those who like it. It doesn't shape me, because I am indifferent to it. I have been around a long time and have been exposed to all genres of music (my husband and my father are both opera fanatics for a start, my son is more indy) and it isn't ignorance of types of music. It's indifference to it.
Reply 92
Original post by llacerta
The way you've described how you feel about music sounds like something someone with amusia would say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusia

That's not to say that you can't just not like all music, because of course you can. But amusia was the first thing that popped into my head, anyway (especially as you said your sister also feels the same way).

Then again, there's plenty of modern music which cater for the aurally retarded. A few minutes of British radio will testify to that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Music is overrated imo.
Saying you don't like music is like saying you don't like art, or food. Sure, it's possible but I'm tempted to say your just not looking in the right place.

I highly doubt you have listened to all music, or even all genres of music so to dismiss it all outright is a little foolish. I'm not saying go seek it out, just dont write it off before you even listen.
Original post by mojojojo101
Saying you don't like music is like saying you don't like art, or food. Sure, it's possible but I'm tempted to say your just not looking in the right place.

I highly doubt you have listened to all music, or even all genres of music so to dismiss it all outright is a little foolish. I'm not saying go seek it out, just dont write it off before you even listen.

If you are refering to me, as I'm in my 50s, I've had a long time to listen to a great deal of music, and I am perfectly sure how I feel. Indifferent. I am keen on art and food. I am not keen on music. I assure you, I know my own mind.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
If you are refering to me, as I'm in my 50s, I've had a long time to listen to a great deal of music, and I am perfectly sure how I feel. Indifferent. I am keen on art and food. I am not keen on music. I assure you, I know my own mind.

Wasn't intended specifically at anyone, nor trying to insult anyone. Just I've seen people make similar kind of judgements about this kind of thing before only to be opened up to something else later to something they didn't know existed, hell it happened to me.
Wasn't intended specifically at anyone, nor trying to insult anyone. Just I've seen people make similar kind of judgements about this kind of thing before only to be opened up to something else later to something they didn't know existed, hell it happened to me.

People love to evangelise about their interests and have trouble believing not everyone shares them. I'm sure I feel the same about other people failing to share my keenness for whatever is currently floating my boat.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
People love to evangelise about their interests and have trouble believing not everyone shares them. I'm sure I feel the same about other people failing to share my keenness for whatever is currently floating my boat.

I'm not trying to evangelise, just noting that I think it's an unhealthy way to live, to write off entirely such a broad range of different things. I'll reiterate I don't mean to speak to you alone, but to everyone, just keep your mind open, don't just immediately announce you don't like something without thought or consideration, not only music, but everything in your life.
I'm not trying to evangelise, just noting that I think it's an unhealthy way to live, to write off entirely such a broad range of different things. I'll reiterate I don't mean to speak to you alone, but to everyone, just keep your mind open, don't just immediately announce you don't like something without thought or consideration, not only music, but everything in your life.

I was not referring to you specifically, either. I meant people generally. However, I am now specifically addressing your comment 'don't just immediately announce you don't like something without thought or consideration.' It seems that people assume that because we don't like things they like, it must be because we are ignorant or have not given the matter any thought. That is a bit insulting, really, don't you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending