The Student Room Group

I hate music (yes, all of it)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It really shapes those who like it. It doesn't shape me, because I am indifferent to it. I have been around a long time and have been exposed to all genres of music (my husband and my father are both opera fanatics for a start, my son is more indy) and it isn't ignorance of types of music. It's indifference to it.

I find that almost hard to believe though lol, it seems to me music and rhythm are an almost inherently learned item, to want to nod, sing or dance to something is just a natural behaviour, something that should be actively encouraged. So many friendships, connections, experiences, emotions are all led one way or another by music, it influences your attitudes on things, gives you direction in life, even influences your own individual culture; whether that be your own individual beliefs, how you dress, how the group you associate with dresses etc. etc. I would almost argue that to have no interest in music is to have no culture lol.

So many different experiences and emotions (for me at least) are led by or influenced by music in some way. For instance certain songs hold a memory for me which I recall upon, like (just a minute example on the scale of things!) there's a particular liquid drum and bass song that I was listening to on a balcony in Magaluf last year whilst gazing towards the horizon and it just paints an almost romantic picture for me now and that memory - and therefore the tune - are now filled with a deep positive emotion and it really puts me in a relaxed and almost magical place, it's really very powerful.

And music complements every type of emotion in some way. For some reason I can really distinguish between genres and whilst I spend my time predominately listening to my main genres, drum and bass and hip hop, I recognise and love tens of other genres and I can feel the presence of these by listening to the two I've just mentioned as they are influenced, and have samples etc. that replicate the other genres. My point is that one genre alone can be so diverse drawing from so many different styles, and these different styles (sub-genres specifically) complement many different emotions, whether I feel reflective, energetic, excited, down whatever. I can pick up a handful of songs at any time to reflect, complement or nurture how I'm feeling. Sorry if this all sounds like an incoherent mess lol.

To me not being interested in music is to almost not have a soul (and I'm neither religious nor intending to offend), but to me there's something very cold about having no interest in music.
Please listen to Big band, or classics like Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Styx?

Posted from TSR Mobile
IAs it's impossible to listen to ALL music you can't say you hate all of it.
Original post by Tom78
I find that almost hard to believe though lol, it seems to me music and rhythm are an almost inherently learned item, to want to nod, sing or dance to something is just a natural behaviour, something that should be actively encouraged. So many friendships, connections, experiences, emotions are all led one way or another by music, it influences your attitudes on things, gives you direction in life, even influences your own individual culture; whether that be your own individual beliefs, how you dress, how the group you associate with dresses etc. etc. I would almost argue that to have no interest in music is to have no culture lol.

So many different experiences and emotions (for me at least) are led by or influenced by music in some way. For instance certain songs hold a memory for me which I recall upon, like (just a minute example on the scale of things!) there's a particular liquid drum and bass song that I was listening to on a balcony in Magaluf last year whilst gazing towards the horizon and it just paints an almost romantic picture for me now and that memory - and therefore the tune - are now filled with a deep positive emotion and it really puts me in a relaxed and almost magical place, it's really very powerful.

And music complements every type of emotion in some way. For some reason I can really distinguish between genres and whilst I spend my time predominately listening to my main genres, drum and bass and hip hop, I recognise and love tens of other genres and I can feel the presence of these by listening to the two I've just mentioned as they are influenced, and have samples etc. that replicate the other genres. My point is that one genre alone can be so diverse drawing from so many different styles, and these different styles (sub-genres specifically) complement many different emotions, whether I feel reflective, energetic, excited, down whatever. I can pick up a handful of songs at any time to reflect, complement or nurture how I'm feeling. Sorry if this all sounds like an incoherent mess lol.

To me not being interested in music is to almost not have a soul (and I'm neither religious nor intending to offend), but to me there's something very cold about having no interest in music.
Sorry if I offend you by having no soul. Tbh I am rather annoyed that people are so narrow minded that they can't see that it is perfectly possible to have a normal life and not share their interests
Reply 104
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
What is it with you nerds ?

WHY must everything have a logical explanation and point ?

I don't get the point in fashion
I don't get the point in music
What are the benefits of clubbing
Why do people drink
Why do people choose Arts
Why do people smile

Just gtfo , you people make me sick.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people are autistic tbh.
Reply 105
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Sorry if I offend you by having no soul. Tbh I am rather annoyed that people are so narrow minded that they can't see that it is perfectly possible to have a normal life and not share their interests

But to not like music is like to not like books or film. You're wiping out an entire medium of entertainment.
Original post by Tom78
But to not like music is like to not like books or film. You're wiping out an entire medium of entertainment.

So? There are many people who don't like books. (I'm an English teacher - I know that for a fact.) There are many who don't like films. I like both of those, but I don't care for music. I don't feel any kind of absence in my life. I have plenty other interests. I just don't share one of yours, just as I imagine you don't share some of mine.
Why are people trying to convince the people that don't like music that they actually do like music? It's making me cringe. Pls stahp.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Why are people trying to convince the people that don't like music that they actually do like music? It's making me cringe. Pls stahp.

As I explained upstream, for some dumbass reason it is socially unacceptable to not like music. We all feel powerfully subconsciously obliged to intervene. You're not allowed to not like music, dissenters will be assimilated.
Original post by cole-slaw
As I explained upstream, for some dumbass reason it is socially unacceptable to not like music. We all feel powerfully subconsciously obliged to intervene. You're not allowed to not like music, dissenters will be assimilated.

What are say- Yes. Master. I will. Comply.
Original post by orporman
Yes. All of it.
I find music is just an annoying noise, or a tainted poem. As far as I can tell it is utterly pointless, and yet everyone around me seems to be talking about their favourite band or singing some song to themselves or each other, and people seem genuinely interested in it. I don't understand why?
I know I probably seem ignorant to the rest of society, but can someone please explain why music is so 'great'? And is there anyone else here with the same views as me? (So far it's only my younger sister that I know of that also hates music.)

how can you hate music? try listening to film music, especially by hans zimmer... Hans zimmer is awesome...

Music should relax you, and you shouldn't just base the music you listen to on other people...

try listening to time - by hans zimmer
I can't imagine my life without music, it's as simple as that. It can be relaxing, complex, intellectual or just fun.
(edited 10 years ago)
Liked, upvoted and subscribed. I look forward to your future blog entries.
Original post by Viva Emptiness

Thanks for understanding.:smile:
Reply 114
Original post by orporman
I've heard pretty much everything to be honest. My dad is a vicar and listens to gospel music, and I listen to hymns in church, and my brother plays everything on the guitar and sings along with it, and my mum listens to all types of music, so I have heard quite a lot of music. To be honest, I haven't liked/felt positive emotion for anything I have ever heard (apart from the fox song, I found that quite funny, yet astonishingly annoying) :biggrin:

So many songs have no guitars, no choral element. Your Mum probably doesn't listen to all kinds of music. I am pretty music savvy except for when it comes to classical but I don't know about all types of music. There's always going to be some genre on the depths of the internet or a record collection that you've never encountered and unless you actually dislike sound or rhythm I don't think you can discount music in its entirety. I think one of the best ways to discover new music is hit up Soundrop via Spotify and just jump in and out of their genre rooms until you get something you're feeling. Music, for me anyway is all about feel and vibe so I guess if you had no feelings or no sense for the intangible atmosphere then you could dismiss music as a whole.

Edit: I also don't think a person can really dismiss books or film off hand unless they simply lack the attention span to read or view them. There's so much diversity! You'd don't say I don't like meat having only eaten chicken, you can say you don't like chicken. Film and books are more nuanced in type than meat yet people dismiss them after a few bad experiences.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
What is it with you nerds ?

WHY must everything have a logical explanation and point ?

I don't get the point in fashion
I don't get the point in music
What are the benefits of clubbing
Why do people drink
Why do people choose Arts
Why do people smile

Just gtfo , you people make me sick.

Whoa, strong reaction. Perhaps OP genuinely doesn't understand the appeal to music. I don't watch TV at all simply because I don't get it, why do people watch other people pretend to be something they're not? It baffles me but that doesn't make me or the OP and whoever else agrees 'nerds'. Don't be ignorant. Its a matter of inunderstanding.
Reminds me of this article I read last week http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/6/5477622/bad-brains-some-people-incapable-of-enjoying-music

So I guess the OP might actually be telling the truth. I personally wouldn't want to live in a world without it but to each their own, one less person listening to crap like JB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending