The Student Room Group

Why does Hitchens get such hero worship?

I recently watched a replay of a debate where hitchens gets demolished while in his typical drunkard stupor yet when I read the comments people were calling him a savant saying he won the debate and was a modern day great (though he could only create GCSE level arguments apparently ). I'm not a theist but i'd like someone to explain this to me.
Reply 1
which particular debate? and I cannot envisage Hitchens being on the receiving end of his own hand.
Reply 2
Original post by Wrath121
which particular debate? and I cannot envisage Hitchens being on the receiving end of his own hand.

You do know that hitchens was terrible at forming concsise arguments and relied on on witticisms. You can look at almost any of his debates to find what you describe.
Reply 3
Original post by Dominic101
You do know that hitchens was terrible at forming concsise arguments and relied on on witticisms. You can look at almost any of his debates to find what you describe.

Give me the specific video which you are alluding to, where Hitchens supposedly gets 'demolished'.
Reply 4
Give me the specific video which you are alluding to, where Hitchens supposedly gets 'demolished'.

Look at Craig versus Hitchens.
Reply 5
Hitchens uses that wit in order to subtly draw attention to the nonsensical drivel spouted and advocated by his opponents (mainly in religious debates). As with other things, there are some stuff I don't necessarily agree with Hitchens, such as his standpoint on Iraq with his debate with Peter.
Hitchens uses that wit in order to subtly draw attention to the nonsensical drivel spouted and advocated by his opponents (mainly in religious debates). As with other things, there are some stuff I don't necessarily agree with Hitchens, such as his standpoint on Iraq with his debate with Peter.

Yes, I think that Christopher's stance on Iraq was naive. Peter is worse though.
Reply 7

He almost always uses that when he can't find a sensible solution to the problem he is posed with. I do ask do you really think him a great debater?
Reply 8
He almost always uses that when he can't find a sensible solution to the problem he is posed with. I do ask do you really think him a great debater?

I think it is irrefutably true that Hitchens is a great orator and debater. I think his wit is one of his many fortes.
Reply 9

I'll look into this debate later.

Most serious people agree that Hitchens lost that debate, rather badly as well.

I think it's because Hitchens is such a great orator; he was incredibly witty, absolutely hilarious and 100% spoke his mind. I personally admire him, and I readily accept that he isn't the best philosopher out there by any means. He's a good writer, nevertheless.
Hitchens uses that wit in order to subtly draw attention to the nonsensical drivel spouted and advocated by his opponents (mainly in religious debates).
I'd agree with this and Craig won the debate but mainly because he took an abstract position. Hitchens usually identifies and mocks the failings of his opponent, but Craig refused to clarify his exact position and placed the burden of proof at Hitchen's door step. Its a bit dishonest because you hold your opponent to a level of proof, that your own argument can't and never does present. With Hitchen's style and certainly the style he chose against that form of opponent, you can never win a debate. Even in a case of a perfect performance you can only ever draw, as you are defending you own position while not being able to properly attack your opponents. Hitchens is a decent debater but that not why he's so popular.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I think it is irrefutably true that Hitchens is a great orator and debater. I think his wit is one of his many fortes.

This is the exact type of hero worship im talking about. Yes he did have a good way with words but he was not a good debater as often he couldn't find the flaws in his opponents claims.
Reply 13
Original post by Endless Blue
Most serious people agree that Hitchens lost that debate, rather badly as well.

I think it's because Hitchens is such a great orator; he was incredibly witty, absolutely hilarious and 100% spoke his mind. I personally admire him, and I readily accept that he isn't the best philosopher out there by any means. He's a good writer, nevertheless.

I think what you say it quite true.
Reply 14
Hitchens is one of my personal heroes, taking a less 'restrained' view on religion. HITCHSLAP
Reply 15
a) You already give him hero worship by calling him 'Hitchens' instead of his whole name.

b) You already give him hero worship by writing a topic about him.

c) There are at least 2 Hitchens who might be known by a decent number of people - Christoper and Peter.

Christopher is dead and in oblivion according to himself.

(Oblivion if God doesn't exist because there would not necessarily be an afterlife. Oblivion if God does exist because he didn't show God sufficient respect).

His whole life's work is only not in oblivion if people keep on referring to him.

Why should we not make someone who loved talking about oblivion so much be consigned to oblivion himself?

Why? Because he affected sufficient 'charm' and eloquence to make himself memorable to people. I feel bad even saying that this man might have had some charm. He never called me anything so what do I owe him? Nothing.

Would he be so known if he hadn't happened to be from the South of England with that kind of 'I feel your middle class existential pain' accent and that 'ooh- I smoke. Aren't I so daring? You're all politically correct yet you feel a primal interest in those old days of smoking don't you?'

No. If a Northerner of superior intellect, who happened to talk in tones more like Alan Bennett, died they'd be lucky to get a few mourners to their funeral. As indeed happened to C S Lewis- although he wasn't Northern but he was a believer in God in his later days.

Which in itself tends to support the idea that there is no God.

He is talked about because he was a Southerner, he was 'survivorist' enough to caress enough of the egos of enough people (academics and audiences) that he needed to keep on getting work and that's it. How awful- but of course his audiences are kind of even more awful for this decades long act of seduction in being taught about hypocrisies without being taught about what is best for everyone to replace them.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending