The Student Room Group

I am offering free accommodations

Not sure how to go about with this. I have a 3 bedroom house in Derby. My husband is going to The University of Derby (15 min) and I am going to the University of Nottingham (30 min).

I was initially looking for a nanny for my 2 years old child. But I thought an EU student would be interested in free room and board and some pocket money, plus can share our car/rides.

Bathroom is shared, kitchen is small, garden is large, no pets, no smoke.

Yes, I am looking for someone who wants to work 20 hours a week, caring for my son, but I would prefer a student, female, preferable in Education degree.

Should I advertise it as accommodation or as part time job?
Maybe through an au pair agency?

If you really want a student then you should be aware that most universities recommend that students work no more than 16 hours per week. You will also need to make alternative arrangements for when
- the student has exams and coursework deadlines
- when they're out at lectures (depending on the uni, they might not finish until 6pm or later)
- if they're on a teaching degree, when they're out on placement all the hours that your son is likely to be awake
- when they go home for the holidays - at my uni, this is a month at Christmas, a month at Easter and three months over the summer

You'll also need to deal with criminal records checks - which you can't do in the UK because you're an individual + you'll want paperwork from their home country anyway

This sounds like an awful lot to ask of a student really. At best, it will be like having a third working parent in the house, but you're all going to have stress points at the same times of year (eg exams).

Personally, I'd advertise it as a job with perks (don't forget that you'll need to be mindful of national minimum wage, tax and NI) and look for a European who wants to improve their English via an au pair style homestay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Like the poster above said a job like that might be a lot to handle for students. If you want a young person from Europe to come as an au pair you could consider taking in someone on a gap year?
Reply 3
Thanks. You are right too much for a student.
Reply 4
Original post by mabw
Not sure how to go about with this. I have a 3 bedroom house in Derby. My husband is going to The University of Derby (15 min) and I am going to the University of Nottingham (30 min).

I was initially looking for a nanny for my 2 years old child. But I thought an EU student would be interested in free room and board and some pocket money, plus can share our car/rides.

Bathroom is shared, kitchen is small, garden is large, no pets, no smoke.

Yes, I am looking for someone who wants to work 20 hours a week, caring for my son, but I would prefer a student, female, preferable in Education degree.

Should I advertise it as accommodation or as part time job?

Hi,

I found your offer interesting and maybe what you need is share the house with another family where only one of them studies.

If your place were bigger I would offer you an arrangement, because I'm going from Chile to study at UCL an Msc in developmental psychology, with my 11 years old son (he goes to school), and my husband. He is a chef, but not going to study there.

Maybe if you search a young foreign couple. Wish you luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending