The Student Room Group

American drinking law!!

Hiya!
I'm 19 and thinking of convincing my parents to pay for me to go on a riding holiday in America this year. One issue I found is the drinking law! Obviously there it's 21 with weird exceptions I don't understand.
Have attached a photo of the states they do this kinda riding (west coast mainly ideally Arizona side) ImageUploadedByStudent Room1394534278.317985.jpg

Most of the ranches are either byob (non alcohol selling) or have smaller private alcohol licenses.

Basically my q is would I be able to drink in any of the states/ premises or would I be stopped from staying anywhere that does sell.
It's not like I want to go to get smashed but a cowboy kinda experience involves drinking at night and on some of the rides..

Thanks in advance!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You generally need to show an ID to prove that you are 21 or above to buy alcohol.

They are quite anal about their laws with regard to alcohol, many places won't even let you onto their premise as you will be carded at the door. Businesses generally won't make exceptions as they won't want to lose their license and for the most part it is fairly self-regulating.

One thing for sure, you don't want to be underage and found to be intoxicated anywhere in USA as the cops will send you to hospital for "alcohol poisoning" a sure way to lose a load of your holiday money :smile: and they are rather high-handed when it comes to law enforcement.
Reply 2
Original post by Alfissti
You generally need to show an ID to prove that you are 21 or above to buy alcohol.

They are quite anal about their laws with regard to alcohol, many places won't even let you onto their premise as you will be carded at the door. Businesses generally won't make exceptions as they won't want to lose their license and for the most part it is fairly self-regulating.

One thing for sure, you don't want to be underage and found to be intoxicated anywhere in USA as the cops will send you to hospital for "alcohol poisoning" a sure way to lose a load of your holiday money :smile: and they are rather high-handed when it comes to law enforcement.

Generally any of these ranches are out in the country. Some have small bars for the evening, and do maybe a wine ride out in the desert or something.
Reply 3
This thread is so middle class; I feel like a hobo.
I would just not drink. I don't know how much you've read about this, but some of my friends have been riding with cowboys and stuff, and they were under 21 so didn't drink either. It's defo not a must for the experience. The American police are REALLY strict compared to UK ones, and if the people with a licence to sell alcohol sell it to you (they almost certainly won't) they would lose their licence.
Reply 5
Original post by Serendipitee
I would just not drink. I don't know how much you've read about this, but some of my friends have been riding with cowboys and stuff, and they were under 21 so didn't drink either. It's defo not a must for the experience. The American police are REALLY strict compared to UK ones, and if the people with a licence to sell alcohol sell it to you (they almost certainly won't) they would lose their licence.

Okay, it's just I read a few random things about private premises etc. varying - it's just that a few I really like include alcohol on rides - would that come under certain exceptions or would I just not be able to go :confused:
I could wait till 21, but my parents would be less likely to help fund me.. hmm :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by marinaim
Okay, it's just I read a few random things about private premises etc. varying - it's just that a few I really like include alcohol on rides - would that come under certain exceptions or would I just not be able to go :confused:
I could wait till 21, but my parents would be less likely to help fund me.. hmm :s-smilie:

Aww that's sad. Am heading to the states this summer and I will turn 21 just when I arrive there. Oh well I'll think of you when am having a drink. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by DAS4793
Aww that's sad. Am heading to the states this summer and I will turn 21 just when I arrive there. Oh well I'll think of you when am having a drink. :biggrin:

Meanie :wink:
Guess I could pass it off as a finished uni; send me to America lol! but then I have to wait!
Could always convince them to send me to europe instead this year.. :tongue:
Reply 8
Meanie :wink:
Guess I could pass it off as a finished uni; send me to America lol! but then I have to wait!
Could always convince them to send me to europe instead this year.. :tongue:

hmm I have heard traveling around Europe is quite nice so it would be quite a good summer :smile:. Or if you could afford it (persuade you parents into it)you could go to somewhere like Australia or something like that. :redface:
Reply 9
Original post by DAS4793
hmm I have heard traveling around Europe is quite nice so it would be quite a good summer :smile:. Or if you could afford it (persuade you parents into it)you could go to somewhere like Australia or something like that. :redface:

Already been to Aussie year before last :tongue:
I just wanna be a cowboy yeehaa!

I think they'd probably let you go; they'd just either be aware of your age or IDing you, so you wouldn't be able to drink but do the rest. IMO, if you wanna do it this year go for it; I'm all for getting smashed, but you could just do that at home TBF :tongue:
Reply 11
I think they'd probably let you go; they'd just either be aware of your age or IDing you, so you wouldn't be able to drink but do the rest. IMO, if you wanna do it this year go for it; I'm all for getting smashed, but you could just do that at home TBF :tongue:

fake id? :wink:
haha I don't even want to get smashed but ya know an evening drink with hunky cowboys... :redface:
Reply 12
Probably best to wait till you're 21. It's only two years and there's a whole ton of fun stuff you can do in the meantime. Most of Europe is pretty lax with their alcohol laws, so the drinking age is 18 (or less) so you can go have fun in Europe :beer:
fake id? :wink:
haha I don't even want to get smashed but ya know an evening drink with hunky cowboys... :redface:

I wouldn't TBH, if you get caught you could be in trouble! (Keep in mind that the holiday organisers/managers who'll probably be around all the time will know your name) I've heard American cops aren't half as nice as our British policemen over here, either :s-smilie:

Well, flirting (and *other stuff* :wink:) certainly isn't illegal there if you're under 21... :sly:
I thought you went on these riding holidays for the views, freedom and experience, not to drink alcohol?
Reply 15
Original post by Architecture-er
I thought you went on these riding holidays for the views, freedom and experience, not to drink alcohol?

Yeah I know :-) But some do like wine and cheese rides, and have western bars (with saddles for seats :O ) and things like that which I'd consider part of the experience.

I wouldn't TBH, if you get caught you could be in trouble! (Keep in mind that the holiday organisers/managers who'll probably be around all the time will know your name) I've heard American cops aren't half as nice as our British policemen over here, either :s-smilie:

Well, flirting (and *other stuff* :wink:) certainly isn't illegal there if you're under 21... :sly:

humph :tongue: ahaha very true! I might just wait till I'm 21 for this as a 'uni over, parents send me to America', and maybe go to a european riding place this year! (and not darn Ireland again)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
As an American, the best places to drink are out on ranches and away from the cities. But if you do get caught you are ****ed. The choice is yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Best bet would be NBC, NBSD, or Fort Bliss - Drink to your hearts content with authorisation!
Reply 18
Original post by CJKay
This thread is so middle class; I feel like a hobo.

+1

Made me chuckle.
Reply 19
Original post by Micccol
As an American, the best places to drink are out on ranches and away from the cities. But if you do get caught you are ****ed. The choice is yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm fair enough. I doubt they'd serve me at the ranch bar though right?
silly American law!
haha, think yeah I will wait till 21 and go on a better one :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest