The Student Room Group

Getting a reference after a dismissal?

Hi all, really hoping someone has some good advice because I'm terrified.

I graduated university in July, and then very quickly found a full time job doing Administration and PA work. I was confused as to why they hired me in the first place because the interview didn't go very well, and then after 6 weeks of working there I was dismissed. The first thing they said was "you haven't done anything wrong, but...", they thought I lacked confidence and therefore wasn't right for the job. So I left and that was that.

I've been unemployed ever since, but a long time ago I applied for a flexible working job. I finally had the interview for it about a month ago, and was given a conditional offer, on the basis of receiving references (among completing training and other things)

I put on my application the 2 referees I was happy to give (my university tutor and a volunteer role), and up until now I was told that this was all fine. Today I received an email saying that these references are not good enough and they need an employee reference, and have specifically asked for one from the company I worked with during summer (the one that dismissed me) because it's my most recent.

This would cause panic anyway because I don't know what they'd write about me in a reference, but additionally I can't remember what I said in my interview as to why I left, I believe I told them it was the end of my working contract. I know this is a lie but I was so scared that they'd instantly reject me if I'd said 'dismissed'. I didn't think it would matter because I never intended on using them as a reference. I'm so scared, I have been relying on this job for months.

Does anybody have any advice or should I just provide the reference details, give up hope and keep looking elsewhere?
Reply 1
Give the company a call and explain the situation to a manager. It's not like you did anything wrong so I'm sure they would give you a decent reference.
Original post by alow
Give the company a call and explain the situation to a manager. It's not like you did anything wrong so I'm sure they would give you a decent reference.

Thanks for your response, I think I will try to talk to the company, as much as I wish I didn't have to (I was quite annoyed when they let me go - of course I wasn't rude to them about it, but still)

My worry then is that even if they do provide an okay reference, it will still say 'dismissed' as the reason I left, which is not what I told the new company. Truthfully, I can't remember what I said, I don't believe they asked in the application and then when it came to the interview I panicked.
Hi there, I'm not surprised you're terrified of the situation, it's a difficult one to have been put in, but it's not impossible.

When you were 'dismissed' under whatever terms, you should have been told that you would be provided with a reference and given the name of somebody to contact, usually a HR representative as they should have been involved in your dismissal. If you weren't given this info then you should pursue it.

However, I'm a bit confused about the exact circumstances, you say you were dismissed but then you write 'you just left' so was it a mutual agreement or were you actually given notice and your contract terminated??
There's a big difference and it matters in terms of what you write on your CV and how you 'sell yourself' in future and that will always be affected by any lack of confidence/belief in yourself and your abilities. And yes, you were right to not put 'dismissed' on your CV or say you were dismissed in the interview as that would totally blow it so say it was a short-term contract.

In terms of moving forward, you can either contact the HR department at your previous place of work and ask them, or you can contact your old manager, if you actually got on with them and left on agreeable terms. Of course, if there was disagreement then alternatively you can ask any other manager/supervisor that you had contact with and got on with, if you don't think your old manager will write a decent reference for you.

Any future employer will definitely want to approach your most recent employer so it does look odd not to include them on your CV. Also, it's not standard/good practice to write a 'bad' reference so don't worry too much about that happening. Most referees are asked to confirm that the person they are writing the reference for did actually work for the organisation and for the time period that they say they did, confirm the nature of the post - FT or PT and sometimes they will ask why the employment ended and for comments on the employees character.

Just FYI, this is not as uncommon as it may seem although I can really appreciate how it's a set-back so early in your working life. I've worked for several organisations, UK and overseas, public and private, and got 'sacked' for the very first time last December!! :o:D (and I'm 44 years old!!) but then I was working for a woman who once admitted to "coming into work most days with a hangover, ha ha ha" so no wonder she had no idea what was going on from 1 week to the next and that I could do the job far better than she could, despite her having worked for the organisation for far longer. I'd also been in the line of work I was employed to do for far longer than she had so my experience was too much for her managerial inexperience, and on-the-job hangovers of course!!!
Needless to say, it was a setback for me but I've got other options and plans and that really helps.

I really hope it all works out for you. If you want/need to get yourself a new/up to date referee you could always do some voluntary work so you have someone who can comment on your reliability and performance from a supervisory perspective and voluntary work is certainly a good thing to have on your CV.

Best of luck!!
Original post by skyelester

Contact your line manager at the job you were dismissed from. Explain that you have a job offer, but they insist on having a reference from your last employer, which is this company. Ask if they would be able to give a positive reference or whether they might refuse to give a reference. Don't mention that you misrepresented the reason for leaving to your potential new employer. There is a chance that they will refuse to give a reference, in which case your new employer can't hold that against you. There is a chance they will refer to your dismissal, but make it a 'no fault' situation and say something generic. There's a chance they will tell it how they saw it and it won't be a good reference.

There's really nothing you can do about it, except put your previous manager gently on the spot and make them think about what they might write. Referees are obliged to be honest, and employers can ask for references from whoever they want (although they may not be able to get them). You will have to wait and see how it plays out.
Thanks so much for your thorough responses, I really truly appreciate it and it helped to calm me down!

Unfortunately, despite the fact that I have completed a work placement since leaving this job, as well as holding a high authority voluntary position with a national charity for the past 5 months, apparently neither of these are adequate references and they are still seeking a reference from this employer.

I contacted the company via email last Friday and I have not had a response yet. Even if they refuse to give me a reference, I'd rather they tell me that then just ignore me. I really REALLY do not want to have to phone them and speak to them, but I will try this tomorrow if I don't get a response by the end of the day.

This is so frustrating and I'm quite sure I'm going to lose this job now and I'm just angry more than anything, it seems so unfair that they won't accept any other references, and unfair that my last company seem to be refusing me a reference despite me doing nothing wrong, and unfair that no matter what steps I try to take to improve my confidence and my job prospects, it's just not good enough.

I apologise as this has just turned in to a rant now! I'm just so tired about being unemployed and it's bringing me down so much.

Thanks again :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks so much for your thorough responses, I really truly appreciate it and it helped to calm me down!

Unfortunately, despite the fact that I have completed a work placement since leaving this job, as well as holding a high authority voluntary position with a national charity for the past 5 months, apparently neither of these are adequate references and they are still seeking a reference from this employer.

I contacted the company via email last Friday and I have not had a response yet. Even if they refuse to give me a reference, I'd rather they tell me that then just ignore me. I really REALLY do not want to have to phone them and speak to them, but I will try this tomorrow if I don't get a response by the end of the day.

This is so frustrating and I'm quite sure I'm going to lose this job now and I'm just angry more than anything, it seems so unfair that they won't accept any other references, and unfair that my last company seem to be refusing me a reference despite me doing nothing wrong, and unfair that no matter what steps I try to take to improve my confidence and my job prospects, it's just not good enough.

I apologise as this has just turned in to a rant now! I'm just so tired about being unemployed and it's bringing me down so much.

Wait until the end of the week, then if you've heard nothing from your previous employers, contact the new employers and say you cannot get a reference as they aren't responding to any communication. You should not be disadvantaged because a third party won't give a reference.

Ask why your work placement and volunteering references aren't sufficient. Make sure they understand that they are from a work placement where you worked x weeks, full time hours etc and for a national charity in a leadership position etc.

Ask if they have actually asked for those references.

Offer them a third alternative referee.
Original post by threeportdrift
Wait until the end of the week, then if you've heard nothing from your previous employers, contact the new employers and say you cannot get a reference as they aren't responding to any communication. You should not be disadvantaged because a third party won't give a reference.

Ask why your work placement and volunteering references aren't sufficient. Make sure they understand that they are from a work placement where you worked x weeks, full time hours etc and for a national charity in a leadership position etc.

Ask if they have actually asked for those references.

Offer them a third alternative referee.

I've tried to offer every alternative reference I have, I just keep getting "these are not sufficient / relevant, we need a reference from your most recent employer". I've replied saying that they aren't responding, and I just keep getting the same thing kind of thing back, which says to me that without this reference, I can't start work. I should probably mention that this work it with the NHS, so I guess they have to be especially thorough, but it's so unfair. I really don't understand why a work placement reference isn't good enough. Or a reference from my employer before the last, seeing as I worked with them for 8 months and was only with my previous employer for 6 weeks. So frustrating.

I've got a practical training session on Friday so I'm going to see if I can talk to someone in person about it but I'm sure I'm going to be told that I just need to ring the recruitment people. Which I guess will be next step when I get home from the training on Friday.
Hello again, this sounds so frustrating but it also sounds like you need to handle the situation carefully.
Frustrating as it is, I'd warn against getting into any kind of argument/confrontation with your prospective employer about why alternative references aren't acceptable.
You need to persist with your ex-employer in getting the name of someone who can and will agree to give you a decent reference and confirm you were employed there.
I'm wondering whether their appraisal of your performance in terms of your confidence is in itself affecting your levels of confidence in approaching them? If so, it may be worthwhile reflecting on your mindset towards them today and just repeating to yourself that you have done nothing wrong and that they should write you a reference.
Try to get rid of any feelings of anger towards them or anxiety (easier said than done, I know!). If you can get your mind into a state where you have no feelings towards them so all you are asking for is a business transaction that may help. On the phone you will then seem business-like rather than annoyed/anxious/pleading etc.
On the plus side, if you have a attaining session with your prospective employer tomorrow then it's highly likely you have the job so you have already moved on from the previous employment and, again, your mindset and approach to them can reflect that.
If your previous employer refuses to give you a reference get an exact and specific reason why from them that you can then pass on to your prospective employer as way of explanation. It would be better to have this in writing so, if you haven't already, email someone in HR today, preferably a manager requesting the reference. Don't explain anything, just state who you are, when you worked there, what your role was and ask for the reference. Keep it simple!
Best of luck!

OK, just seen you've emailed them already last week. Email again today, keep it very simple and polite, and cc in a manager, or even THE HR manager, this time if you didn't last time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9

Im in exactly the same position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending