The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Living costs

Basically I've applied for my student loans and grants and it says the most I can get (added together) for maintenance grants/loans is £7249, subtracting my accommodation fees that leaves me with only £1775 for the whole year.. that's for materials food and any other costs. That's only £38 a week :s-smilie:. And there's nothing to say I will actually get the maximum amount :frown:. I'm going to be doing a costume design course so the prices are going to be hefty for the materials I'll be using, and I will be home on the weekends and In the actual uni every week day until 5:00pm, do you think it would be too much to add an evening job into that as well for the extra money or do you think £38 is manageable to live off? I wont be getting any financial help from anywhere else so I'm slightly worried.
Reply 1
It would be worth finding a small part time job if you don't think you can manage with £38 a week. That's what I'm going to do because it's really not enough unless you are really really good at saving money.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by StayCee089
Basically I've applied for my student loans and grants and it says the most I can get (added together) for maintenance grants/loans is £7249, subtracting my accommodation fees that leaves me with only £1775 for the whole year.. that's for materials food and any other costs. That's only £38 a week :s-smilie:. And there's nothing to say I will actually get the maximum amount :frown:. I'm going to be doing a costume design course so the prices are going to be hefty for the materials I'll be using, and I will be home on the weekends and In the actual uni every week day until 5:00pm, do you think it would be too much to add an evening job into that as well for the extra money or do you think £38 is manageable to live off? I wont be getting any financial help from anywhere else so I'm slightly worried.

With that level of loan and grant, you should check whether you receive a bursary? If I'm coorect, anyone whose parents income is less than about £40000 a year qualifies.
Reply 3
There's no need to worry, when you get to uni there is something called the access to learning fund where you can request to have additional funding. I was lucky to receive £1200 that way on top of my bursary and student finance loan. and it's a grant so there's no paying it back.
Reply 4
You still get more than I do. I qualify for £3610 no grant and no bursary. My parents can give me £3000 this year and my rent will be £4975! That leaves me the grand total of £1645 to live on for a year :frown:. Part time job, here I come. I don't mind though, it's me that wants to go to Uni, why shouldn't I contribute while I'm there?
Original post by StayCee089

£38 would be manageable, really tight, but manageable if you are good with budgeting only if it was for food and the occasional bus or train. However, with the added cost of materials for your course I don't think that's quite possible!

Apply for a bursary as others have already mentioned and maybe also look for a part-time job? Which university will you be studying at? Usually, some unis have cafeterias or a bars that only employ students from the university. It does offer flexibility, because it's only part-time and also in the university campus so you don't have to use public transport and lose time and money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending