The Student Room Group

Why do people think "first world problems" are not important?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
YES. It's like no one is allowed to feel ****, ever, cause there's someone who feels ****ter. Erm no, don't invalidate my feelings you complete and utter turd.

On the other hand if your friend tells you that they had an even worse day than you did, in some circumstances that's actually not so bad. That could be helpful.

So I think partly what makes the "first world problems" brigade with their stupid faces that look like this: :ahee:... so annoying... is the hypocrisy and insincerity of it.

Tell me someone I've never met on the other side of the world had a worse day is annoying, saying you had a worse day is not so annoying, sounds kinda silly but I think it's probably true.
Original post by Serendipitee
Virtually always said by:

(1) someone who is doing jack **** to deal with said "important problems" themselves, probably not even giving to charity

(2) someone who cannot have had any experience of the supposed "unimportant problem" in question - e.g. a guy talking about misogynistic treatment of women

(3) someone who, for some inexplicable reason, still seems to think that despite being unable to ever experience Problem X themselves, they are nevertheless best placed to talk about it; to the point of claiming it as irrelevant "because it doesn't affect meeee so who cares," trying to shout people who have actually experienced it down and generally making an irrational, obnoxious cock with an obvious agenda out of themselves.

Strong logic.

Oh my God I know. There was a thread a few days ago where me and some other women were saying how random guys slapping our asses was dehumanising and creepy, and loads of MEN started telling us how wrong we were and it wasn't sexual harassment or misogynistic

:facepalm2:
Original post by Silver Arrows
Probably true, actually.

The problem seems to be that people have different outlooks on the term 'first world problems'. I tend to think about things such as being unable to find your phone charger, being denied the sale of Alcohol or losing a game. People should not get angry or upset about things like that. In America, a grown man actually hunted down & choked a boy who was calling him names over the Call of Duty video game.

Usually so do I but on here, someoe feeling depressed, someone complaining about sexual harassment and someone moaning about persoal issues are all classed as FWP
Reply 43
Original post by Nissie1
Because they're not - it's that simple

The first world has no important problems to solve that affect it? Sounds like a very boring place, what/where exactly is this "first world"?

Is it one of those ones orbiting Saturn?
Oh my God I know. There was a thread a few days ago where me and some other women were saying how random guys slapping our asses was dehumanising and creepy, and loads of MEN started telling us how wrong we were and it wasn't sexual harassment or misogynistic

:facepalm2:

Men trying to tell women that certain behaviour isn't misogynistic. How very convenient! Seems legit :rolleyes: It's like me shouting at a loud of guys about how I know more about how being kicked in the balls feels than they ever will. And calling them gay woman-haters if they disagree with me :rofl:

TBH, I wouldn't even bother arguing with idiots, it's just a waste of your time. It's obvious when someone has nothing better to do than come on TSR and hate on the opposite sex in between his daily bouts of jacking off to them with one hand to stave off the inevitable feelings of loneliness.

I just add all of them to the ignore list as I spot them, then you can concentrate on engaging those people on here who actually have a brain and are willing to use it.

I think the main word here is perspective. Perhaps it is not attempt to say that there isn't a problem at all but to gain some perspective.

It isn't restricted to a comparison to LEDCs vs HEDCs and you often see these sort of perspective arguments used to compare the suffering of rich and poor (wealth gap) in the UK, gender comparisons, young/old.

I don't see whether you have a problem with LEDC specific comparisons or what? There is never going to be a perfectly equal world in terms of opportunity and life experience even though that is an ideal to strive towards. I don't see why it would be a bad thing to be grateful for the conditions led to your birth in this country.

EDIT: I'm sure that in those LEDCs that depression and harassment (what you called 1st world problems) exist alongside the struggle to survive. I personally associate 1st world problems as middle class problems.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by OllyBea
I detest the "African orphan" guilt trip because well, basically what you could do is argue it down to this:

NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO BE SAD APART FROM THE SADDEST PERSON IN THE WORLD

ONCE THE SADDEST PERSON IS FOUND ONLY THEY WILL BE GIVEN PERMISSION TO BE SAD

Upset is relative. If someone's had a bad day, telling them that someone else has it worse is not helping, it's just dismissing the personal importance of their problems. Which is a complete dick-move.

Great post.

I dislike the "it could be worse" arguments. Okay, so what? It could be better also!
Original post by Eveiebaby
I think the main word here is perspective. Perhaps it is not attempt to say that there isn't a problem at all but to gain some perspective.

It isn't restricted to a comparison to LEDCs vs HEDCs and you often see these sort of perspective arguments used to compare the suffering of rich and poor (wealth gap) in the UK, gender comparisons, young/old.

I don't see whether you have a problem with LEDC specific comparisons or what? There is never going to be a perfectly equal world in terms of opportunity and life experience even though that is an ideal to strive towards. I don't see why it would be a bad thing to be grateful for the conditions led to your birth in this country.

It's not a bad thing to be greatful, but it is a bad thing to devalue someone's feelings because "there's someone worse than you"
Problems are relative and most rational thinking people will consider this.

Generally, people don't think developed countries problems are unimportant in themselves, just less important when judging them in comparison to less economically developed nations' problems.

As individuals we live in our own bubbles and look out of our own best interests; altruism should be embraced and as global citizens we should care for our neighbours whether they have 'rich problems' or 'poor problems'.
It's not a bad thing to be greatful, but it is a bad thing to devalue someone's feelings because "there's someone worse than you"

I agree to an extent, when it comes to life or death situations and those that severely affect your human rights. Bringing up the fact that people can and are much more worse off should be a short, sharp reality check to the most ridiculous middle-class rubbish. It just suggests that they take their privilege for granted and don't appreciate it.
Original post by Doppelgänger
Problems are relative and most rational thinking people will consider this.

Generally, people don't think developed countries problems are unimportant in themselves, just less important when judging them in comparison to less economically developed nations' problems.

As individuals we live in our own bubbles and look out of our own best interests; altruism should be embraced and as global citizens we should care for our neighbours whether they have 'rich problems' or 'poor problems'.

Hear, hear!
Reply 51
I wholeheartedly agree!
Reply 52
*Disclaimer: I am prepared for hate on this and anyone being rude or insulting will get reported. This is for discussion. Take your petty insults elsewhere*

Something I see a lot on here, in feminism threads and others, is this.

Person A: I have this problem, and it really annoys me and I' like to fix it

Person B: Oh my God A. Don't you realise there are one legged children in Africa starving who have to eat their own toenails while watching their family being bombed?! Get a grip!

I'm sorry, but what the ****?

Firstly

1) Caring about a problem that affects you does NOT mean you don't care about problems affecting other people

2) Just because some people have it worse does NOT mean you should have to put up with it.

I'll give the example I usually use in this situation: Should a person who has suffered a battery not go to the police and just be greatful it wasn't GBH?

Of course not. No one is saying that these problems are anything like what affects those in other countries. But that doesn't mean they aren't problems, that people should put up with it. Why do people think this?

Unless of course they're just creating straw mans, which is what I suspect

Your example of being hurt and going to the police is definitely not what 90%+ of the population would consider a "first world problem"... The reason it is called a first world problem because the problem is associated with a problem of the excessive disposable income or facilities you have in the first world. And most importantly it is considered to be highly superficial. Being hurt or assault is a genuine problem that should be taken up with the police...
A prime example happened to me last night:
My sister rang me up asking me to help her decide which designer bag each £500+ she should get for her graduation in summer. I replied firstly saying that she should think about these after she gets through her whole degree, and make sure she actually gets the 1st she desires. And secondly that it really does not matter because the bag were both small, unpractical and pretty much the same thing( and that is coming from someone who adores fashion)... and that she still has a £20,000 debt to pay off...

Another example was on instagram, a girl said she should go on a march because Starbucks had changed their cups from white and green trim to white and black... She was so devastated...? that would be a 1st world problem.

other things like:
“Bad times. The cheeseboard wasn’t big enough, so we had to use two.”
The present is too big.”
“Went to feed the ducks, could only find bleedin’ Swans. Urgh.”
“That feel when you buy a #Porsche but can’t afford another car so you’re stuck driving it in thirty below blizzard conditions.”
“My parents got the worst orchestra seats this year”
The cous cous bowl. Worse thing to wash up ever.”
(buzzfeed)
Reply 53
You seem to have completely misunderstood the whole point of the phrase 'first world problems'. It's essentially ridiculing people who whine and moan at the most trivial and inconsequential 'problems' that ultimately have no bearing on anything. Obviously battery does not fit into this category.
I hate the whole "people have it worse than you so don't complain" attitude.
Throughout my teens and early 20s I suffered on and off with depression and used to self harm. The only person I told was my mum who basically said what have I got to be sad about, that it was purely for attention and if I wanted a real problem I should go and live in Africa. I mean.. What the hell?!

However, I think when a first world problem is something like Tescos being sold out of hummus then yeah that's not really a problem.
Original post by Machop
You seem to have completely misunderstood the whole point of the phrase 'first world problems'. It's essentially ridiculing people who whine and moan at the most trivial and inconsequential 'problems' that ultimately have no bearing on anything. Obviously battery does not fit into this category.

Shes just looking for something to moan about.
Reply 56
Original post by FallenSky14
Shes just looking for something to moan about.

Pretty much.
*Disclaimer: I am prepared for hate on this and anyone being rude or insulting will get reported. This is for discussion. Take your petty insults elsewhere*

Something I see a lot on here, in feminism threads and others, is this.

Person A: I have this problem, and it really annoys me and I' like to fix it

Person B: Oh my God A. Don't you realise there are one legged children in Africa starving who have to eat their own toenails while watching their family being bombed?! Get a grip!

I'm sorry, but what the ****?

Firstly

1) Caring about a problem that affects you does NOT mean you don't care about problems affecting other people

2) Just because some people have it worse does NOT mean you should have to put up with it.

I'll give the example I usually use in this situation: Should a person who has suffered a battery not go to the police and just be greatful it wasn't GBH?

Of course not. No one is saying that these problems are anything like what affects those in other countries. But that doesn't mean they aren't problems, that people should put up with it. Why do people think this?

Unless of course they're just creating straw mans, which is what I suspect

The fact that worse problems exist doesn't mean that our problems are unimportant, but I think sometimes we get focused on a single problem that we have that we lose perspective.

Sometimes perspective is needed, although it can be frustrating if people keep bringing it up and it only works in specific situations - for example, you wouldn't tell a victim of racism that they could've been a slave.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I hate the whole "people have it worse than you so don't complain" attitude.
Throughout my teens and early 20s I suffered on and off with depression and used to self harm. The only person I told was my mum who basically said what have I got to be sad about, that it was purely for attention and if I wanted a real problem I should go and live in Africa. I mean.. What the hell?!

However, I think when a first world problem is something like Tescos being sold out of hummus then yeah that's not really a problem.

What about waitrose never having ben and jerrys frozen yogurt so I'm forced to buy the high calorie Ice cream? surely thats a real problem?
Original post by ThatPerson
The fact that worse problems exist doesn't mean that our problems are unimportant, but I think sometimes we get focused on a single problem that we have that we lose perspective.

Sometimes perspective is needed, although it can be frustrating if people keep bringing it up and it only works in specific situations - for example, you wouldn't tell a victim of racism that they could've been a slave.

Agree. There ARE situations where perspective can help, but there are also times when it's really inappropriate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending