The Student Room Group

Is LSE worth the price?

Hi Guys!

I wanna do the MSc Development Management from LSE, I got the offer.
Does the Master worth the price??? So much money for a Master, is that usual nowadays? I am from France and Universities are free over there!!! (maybe a bit less recognised...) Please, let me know before I sign the contracts for my loan! :wink:

Also, I just wanna check that my MSc can be business oriented?! I mean, am I obliged to work for NGOs or can I work for a multinational and be part of its developement?

Waiting for your reply,
Regards,
Jenny.
Reply 1
i wouldnt tell you anything specific about the course you will study. but anyone would tell you that the school is worth the price... it is so much money and everyone i know is taking huge loans to fund their studies at the LSE. you will have that name all your life with you, and it will put you ahead of many others in the job market.
Reply 2
I am not an expert on Development Management, but I do think LSE is worth the price. (I recently gave up a 24,000 Euro bourse at Sciences Po, Paris, only to take a student loan and begin my second year of a Masters' in Public Policy at LSE.) So yes, I do think if you're looking for a truly "international" degree, that HUGE tuition bill is worth paying.

PS: If you're French, you should be eligible for the Home/ EU student fee, which makes it MUCH LESS PAINFUL!
Reply 3
PS: If you're French, you should be eligible for the Home/ EU student fee, which makes it MUCH LESS PAINFUL!

LSE master's tuitions are the same for home and international students...
Reply 4
Ozziee
LSE master's tuitions are the same for home and international students...

Not all of them are. I haven't looked up Development Management, but some of the masters programs (mine included) have different home and overseas rates.
Reply 5
mine is, and i think most of them are the same, especially finance, economics, and management. there might be exceptions, such as development management.
oh, totally, you don't know what my family is going through just to fund my education (and two years on top of that!) and all because it is well worth every penny. I had offers from both Oxford and Cambridge as well and they were turning out to be much less expensive (because of the living costs), but I chose LSE because of the number of doors it opens later on for you! consider yourself to be very lucky to get selected, do not let it go.
Reply 7
jenny-de
Hi Guys!

I wanna do the MSc Development Management from LSE, I got the offer.
Does the Master worth the price??? So much money for a Master, is that usual nowadays? I am from France and Universities are free over there!!! (maybe a bit less recognised...) Please, let me know before I sign the contracts for my loan! :wink:

Also, I just wanna check that my MSc can be business oriented?! I mean, am I obliged to work for NGOs or can I work for a multinational and be part of its developement?

Waiting for your reply,
Regards,
Jenny.

Thanks for your replies guys! :smile: But just one thing, I wanted to do a MSc Economics too but decided to go for a MSc Development Management for a matter of money. Obviously, I can choose my options as apparently emplyers have a deep look on the content of the course:

I'll have these 4 modules:
- Development Management
- Research Design and Dissertation in Development Studies
- Economic Development Policy
- International Political Economy

Do you think I can work in the business field with these modules (with a certain recognition)? Or will I be obliged to work for NGOs....???

Well, is the MSc itself that important?
Thanks, xxx
Reply 8
To summarize: Will my MSc Development Management be good enough to find a well paid job?

I think that's better! :wink:
jenny-de : I am not sure about it, but if employers do pay attention to the modules etc, then I figure you would have better chances of securing a job in the LDCs (Asia/Latin Amer.), where you would be able to apply the economic theories etc specially suited to the developing area markets!
Reply 10
I want to do Phd Economics from LSE after M.Sc. Economics and Finance from Warwick in 2006.Being an overseas, very slim chances to get any Phd Funding. Shall i take loan considering i have family to fund too. R there any soft loans available in U.K. And what are the chances of getting job in U.K. after Phd for an overseas.
just a question about LSE application...

i start my econmomics study this year in germany. and now my question... when i get well grades, do i have any chances to get an offer from lse later - i think about applying for development economics or something related, even if my undergraduate university isn't well known... it is magdeburg and of course can't compete with science po or oxbridge or something else... so my question now.
Reply 12
Niklas85ger,

I don't think LSE is too worried about what college you come from, as long as you can prove that you can COPE (yes, COPE, as in SURVIVE) the LSE level of Econ. So good grades, a kick-ass GRE score and a lage amount of Econometrics should put you on the right track. A good option is to apply for the 2 yr MSc Economics at LSE instead of the 1 yr option, it's a lot easier to get into. (But it also means 2 yrs worth of tuition and crazy f***ing expensive London living.)

PS: I was at Sciences Po, and I can't believe people outside of France have heard of it! (and actually consider it a GOOD school). He he.. makes me feel COOL.
hi. what is GRE score? do you mean something related to secondary education? or will i get that in my bachelor degree as well?
Reply 14
The GRE is a test that you are required to take for some LSE programmes. It is similar to the GMAT in case you've heard of that one. It covers quantitative, verbal and analytical skills.
Reply 15
www.gre.org

1400+ or perhaps 1450+ (over 1600) in the Math and Verbal sections and at least 5 in Analytical Writing sounds about right to me.
sounds difficulty to me. but i hope to learn enough in the next three years undergraduate study.
How much is it?
Reply 18
Niklas85ger I see you are ambitiuos and know what you want, respect! :smile: good luck
thanks a lot.

alternatively there are other uni's for graduated study development ecos, too. however, london would be best on equal grade with oxbridge :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending