The Student Room Group

Living in London off a PhD salary

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rascacielos
Rent a room in a house would be my best advice - and not necessarily a student house either. I've found you get some very good deals from renting a room in a family/professional home.

Yeah, I think these kind of options will be very limited if my bf decides to move too though.
Original post by redferry
Yeah, I think these kind of options will be very limited if my bf decides to move too though.

Well, on the plus side, a one bedroom flat is half price when there's two of you!
Reply 22
Original post by Rascacielos
Well, on the plus side, a one bedroom flat is half price when there's two of you!

True! But still a grand a month! To be honest I think well probably share a room in a house share
sounds like I'd be right at home coming from Birmingham!

You just need to be a bit 'streetwise' and careful living in areas like that one, there are some street robberies and things like that. It's best to not be out on the streets alone late at night for example.

Congrats on your PhD place. :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Fullofsurprises
You just need to be a bit 'streetwise' and careful living in areas like that one, there are some street robberies and things like that. It's best to not be out on the streets alone late at night for example.

Congrats on your PhD place. :smile:

My friend said she hasn't really encountered any crime so I think it may have a worse rep than it deserves.

I don't really mind where I live as long as it is affordable! I lived in a 'rough' area of Leeds for a bit with no issues.

Thanks! I'm so excited!
My friend said she hasn't really encountered any crime so I think it may have a worse rep than it deserves.

I don't really mind where I live as long as it is affordable! I lived in a 'rough' area of Leeds for a bit with no issues.

Thanks! I'm so excited!

It must be exciting. :colondollar: What will be your area of research?

For sure the rep of some 'rough' areas gets exaggerated and also a lot of places near the centre of London that used to be seen as very bad have moved upmarket in recent years, especially in NE and E London. Ele & Cas is probably not one of them though. It's more of a statistical thing - Southwark and Lambeth both have high crime rates, but a lot of it is concentrated in certain streets and small neighborhoods.

It's really quick into town by tube from there though.
Reply 26
did you get the ucl phd after all? - well done!! what's the topic?

have you thought about halls for the first year? it sounds like a retrograde step but if there are central/convenient postgrad halls that would be less hassle than private renting and you'd have the first year to meet people, suss out good places to live etc etc
Reply 27
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It must be exciting. :colondollar: What will be your area of research?

For sure the rep of some 'rough' areas gets exaggerated and also a lot of places near the centre of London that used to be seen as very bad have moved upmarket in recent years, especially in NE and E London. Ele & Cas is probably not one of them though. It's more of a statistical thing - Southwark and Lambeth both have high crime rates, but a lot of it is concentrated in certain streets and small neighborhoods.

It's really quick into town by tube from there though.

Biodiversity and Evolution but I'm hoping to focus around conservation combined with political and economic elements :smile:

We don't choose the title until 2nd term so no specifics yet, but there are hundreds to choose from and over 700 supervisors competing for 36 students :biggrin:

I heard hackney is really on the up. Biggest discrepancy between average wage and house prices in the country.

Original post by Pariah
did you get the ucl phd after all? - well done!! what's the topic?

have you thought about halls for the first year? it sounds like a retrograde step but if there are central/convenient postgrad halls that would be less hassle than private renting and you'd have the first year to meet people, suss out good places to live etc etc

Thanks!!! Yeah they said if I didn't hear by Friday I hadn't got a place but then at half 8 in the evening Sunday they were like 'oh here's your offer' haha!

I can't do halls because it's split between 9 institutions so I don't base at my supervisors Uni until around Easter.
Reply 28

Thanks!!! Yeah they said if I didn't hear by Friday I hadn't got a place but then at half 8 in the evening Sunday they were like 'oh here's your offer' haha!

I can't do halls because it's split between 9 institutions so I don't base at my supervisors Uni until around Easter.

that is evil....

hmm. tricky to pick where to live then. when i was at UCL the general view was that the transport links were better from north london, but if you end up somewhere else that might not be the case
Reply 29
Original post by Pariah
that is evil....

hmm. tricky to pick where to live then. when i was at UCL the general view was that the transport links were better from north london, but if you end up somewhere else that might not be the case

Yeah I'm most likely to end up at UCL or ZSL but maybe Kings.

My dad said south of the river is cheaper?
Reply 30
Yeah I'm most likely to end up at UCL or ZSL but maybe Kings.

My dad said south of the river is cheaper?

I haven't lived in London for years, but that certainly used to be the general view. I used to live Harringay/Wood Green way and that wasn't too bad and on the tube and bus routes. I think all of London is pretty mental for housing costs these days though.
Reply 31
Original post by Pariah
I haven't lived in London for years, but that certainly used to be the general view. I used to live Harringay/Wood Green way and that wasn't too bad and on the tube and bus routes. I think all of London is pretty mental for housing costs these days though.

Tell me about it - I'm going to end up spending more for a room than me and my bf do between us for a whole flat.

I'm just praying he will come with me!! Being a couple makes things so much more affordable.
Reply 32
whats peoples perceptions of Dalston? and is it cheap for a MSc student? so my budget is slightly less than a PhD salary!
Reply 33
Original post by nunugab
whats peoples perceptions of Dalston? and is it cheap for a MSc student? so my budget is slightly less than a PhD salary!

I have friends who live in Dalston and it's definitely much nicer than it used to be a few years ago. However that means it's an up-and-coming trendy area these days and the prices are rising accordingly. If you shop around on the outskirts you may be able to find a bargain, but you're probably going to find yourself in a neighbouring area if you're looking for something cheap in that direction.
Reply 34
Original post by Klix88
I have friends who live in Dalston and it's definitely much nicer than it used to be a few years ago. However that means it's an up-and-coming trendy area these days and the prices are rising accordingly. If you shop around on the outskirts you may be able to find a bargain, but you're probably going to find yourself in a neighbouring area if you're looking for something cheap in that direction.

Thanks for your reply! Is it a safe area though? Its one of the areas I'm looking at but due to its location and relative affordability it makes it quite ideal!
Reply 35
Original post by nunugab
Thanks for your reply! Is it a safe area though? Its one of the areas I'm looking at but due to its location and relative affordability it makes it quite ideal!

I've only visited a handful of times and it seemed no better or worse than any other similar area which is well on the road to trendiness. There are dodgy areas in any London borough. All I can say is that I never felt in danger walking around the main roads there and none of my resident friends have been burgled or mugged.
Reply 36
Hopefully you will get some TA opportunities at your department / faculty -- that'll certainly help paying the bills... Good luck!
Original post by Klix88

Original post by nunugab

It's fairly expensive now. Maybe 10 years ago, it was where a lot of artists lived, along with Hackney Wick but was still an affordable area populated mostly by a mix of old school East Londoners and new immigrants. I worked in Dalston around that time and it was still a bit rough around the edges but not unsafe (I worked there and had many friends that lived there and would walk from Dalston Kingsland station - the old grubby one, before the East London Line renovation - to work, or to friend's flats late at night and early in the morning and never had any problems). Nowadays, it's impossibly trendy and not very cheap, so I'm not sure it would be affordable on a PhD student's stipend... One of my close friends moved recently because of the rent increases -and they are a two income household!

If you did find something affordable there, though, it's certainly safe and quite nice. You're super close to London Fields for a nice park, and the East London Line is very convenient; Ridley Road market is great for food, and there's the fantastic Rio cinema on Kingsland Road. Also a bunch of trendy but nice bars/clubs, e.g. Cafe Oto.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Interesting to know that Dalston is gentrified too. I remember that it used to be arty with immigrants as evidenced by small ethnic shops. So Dalston experiences the same fate as Crouch End. Where do artists live and work in London? It must be tough for them to make a mark and afford rent for housing/work shop.
Original post by Tcannon
Interesting to know that Dalston is gentrified too. I remember that it used to be arty with immigrants as evidenced by small ethnic shops. So Dalston experiences the same fate as Crouch End. Where do artists live and work in London? It must be tough for them to make a mark and afford rent for housing/work shop.

HackneyWick is still arty, but there was a lot of rancor with the Olympics - people being evicted etc and rising rents. I think a lot of people moved to Clapton (not far) and to Peckham, too.

I'm not sure how sorry I feel for the artists, though; so many seem to ignore the fact that they are deeply implicated in the gentrification process, while complaining about it... but it's a complicated subject.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending