The Student Room Group

Cross trainer vs Treadmill

When I go to the gym I mostly use the treadmill to do running and as I'm sure you know, running is very tiring. Yesterday, I tried using the cross trainer (looks like this, for those who haven't seen one: http://www.primafit.com/images/95Xecrosstrainer.jpg) The thing is, in 30 minutes, I supposedly burnt as many calories on the cross trainer as I normally would with 40 minutes running (400 calories). What was strange, however, was that I felt nowhere near as tired as I would have done if I had done a run (I kept my heart rate at 135 constantly). Can the cross trainer really be as good for my fitness as the treadmill? It just seems like I'm cheating somehow as I don't feel like I've done that much :redface: !
Reply 1
Its the same, even cycling sometimes is the same. Its the amount of calories ur supposed to burn..
Personally speaking i like the cross trainer too
Reply 2
It really depends on what your overall aim is. If you are aiming for cardio-vascular work and on building stamina and your ability to run long distances then the treadmill is a good bet, however if your aim is too lose weight or too burn calories then using the cross trainer is not cheating it is just allowing yourself to burn the calories at a different rate.
Reply 3
i've always found that i burn many more calories on the treadmill than the cross trainer.

i can burn around 90cal per 1000m on the treadmill and now, in terms of calories per 1000m i burn more on the cross trainer, but it takes much more time to actually do 1000m on the cross trainer.

if running tires you out more, its a safe bet its making you much more fitter.
I prefer the cross trainer 'cause it doesen't tire me out as much and is fun (in a strange sort of way) to use! But (like someone said above) the treadmill will build up a lot more stamina. Why don't you do 20 minutes on one and 20 minutes on the other, then you get the best of both worlds.
Reply 5
I think I'm going to stick to the cross trainer. I burn 13cals/min on the cross trainer, compared to 10cals/min on the treadmill (at comfortable pace). Another thing I found burns calories quickly is to put the treadmill on maximum incline and walk at a moderate pace. For me, it burns more calories than running - about 11cals/min. My main aim is to lose weight though, I will work on cardio training (running) after I've burned off my excess fat.
Reply 6
And also, cardio training can be built up very quickly.
I would do a bit of both as your body can adjust to exercise relatively quickly and so if you are just using one machine, this will happen quicker and you may stop seeing results. Although maybe you could stay with the x trainer for now and then mix things up if you stop seeing results.
Reply 8
If you are aiming for cardio-vascular work and on building stamina and your ability to run long distances then the treadmill is a good bet

If you want to work on stamina and running long distances, then your best bet is too actually go running....
Using the treadmill is only good for seeing how many calories you have burnt, but isn't that good for training your running technique ect....
Reply 9
Yeah, you need to increase the incline to simulate "real" outdoor running.

Latest

Trending

Trending