The Student Room Group

Is anyone "allowed" to apply to Oxford/Cambridge University?

Hello,
I am a lower sixth student and I would like to know if it is possible for me to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. I got 1 A* and 7 A in my GCSEs, and i am doing really well in my subjects (Physics, Maths, Spanish, Geography, Biology and General Studies) at college.
Thanks, Imran:smile:

Scroll to see replies

In short, yes.

:smile: keep working hard!
(edited 10 years ago)
Cambridge don't really care about GCSE's I've heard unless it's medicine, vet science etc but I think Oxford cares a lot more but it's possible :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by majmuh24
First of all, 'Really well' is not a specific measure of how well you are doing. You might get more help if you included grades.

From what I've heard, it may be more difficult to go for Oxford as they place significantly more emphasis on amazing GCSE grades (although this isn't a definite rule)

Hi,
I am getting As and Bs in my end of topic tests,
Thanks, Imran
Reply 4
Original post by Imranfr0
Hello,
I am a lower sixth student and I would like to know if it is possible for me to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. I got 1 A* and 7 A in my GCSEs, and i am doing really well in my subjects (Physics, Maths, Spanish, Geography, Biology and General Studies) at college.

There is nothing saying you can't apply but be aware that your GCSE's are lower than average. And A's & B's isn't really well by Oxbridge standards. Cambridge always used to say you needed to have 90UMS+ in your AS Levels to stand a good chance of getting in. Oxbridge didn't look at AS UMS marks but still expect A's. Also your taking way too many subjects, drop down to 4 A A-Levels, taking more doesn't help your application.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Anyone is "allowed" to apply. Whether they stand a realistic chance of an offer is another matter.

What subject would you be wanting to apply for?
Reply 6
Original post by majmuh24
From what I've heard, it may be more difficult to go for Oxford as they place significantly more emphasis on amazing GCSE grades (although this isn't a definite rule)

It's not a definite rule because it isn't true.
Original post by BJack
It's not a definite rule because it isn't true.

Really? I'm pretty sure it is though I may be mistaken.
Reply 8
Original post by Helenia
Anyone is "allowed" to apply. Whether they stand a realistic chance of an offer is another matter.

What subject would you be wanting to apply for?

Hi, sorry for replying late, i'd like to do geophysics at university.
Reply 9
Hi, sorry for replying late, i'd like to do geophysics at university.

You wouldn't be able to apply to Oxbridge then since as they don't offer geophysics, you'd have to change that to natural sciences at cambridge or earth sciences at oxford (my course, yay!) you may not have super duper spectacular GCSE's but work hard at AS and try for 90%+ UMS then make your decision :smile:
I got worse GCSEs than you (1A* and 4As) then got around 93% and got an offer from Cambridge so it's definitely possible for you.
both Oxford and Cambridge publish statistics on the characteristics of those admitted. You'll find it on their websites or linked from here. Unless you are at a school where the average student gets no A*s you would probably not be a competitive applicant at oxford but no-one will stop you applying, it's just a waste of a choice. If you get 90+ ums at AS Cambridge would possibly interview you. http://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/admissions

Good advice to drop at least one subject, Spanish being the obvious choice.
Reply 12
Original post by parentlurker
both Oxford and Cambridge publish statistics on the characteristics of those admitted. You'll find it on their websites or linked from here. Unless you are at a school where the average student gets no A*s you would probably not be a competitive applicant at oxford but no-one will stop you applying, it's just a waste of a choice. If you get 90+ ums at AS Cambridge would possibly interview you. http://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/admissions

Good advice to drop at least one subject, Spanish being the obvious choice.

I forgot to mention that I am spanish :P. Anyway, i am going to drop geography and spanish next year. Thank you for the link!
Reply 13
Hello,

I think you would struggle to get in if you did apply. sorry if that sounds harsh.
Anyone can apply and if you want to apply with a realistic chance of getting an offer then you need to be getting A's in your AS and then again in your A-levels. I'm sure if you keep working hard then there isn't any reason why you can't give Oxbridge a shot.
Reply 15
Get 90%+ and you'll probably get a Cambridge interview. You could possibly get one at Oxford, but only if you do very well in the admissions test (if there is one for the subject you're applying for).
I forgot to mention that I am spanish :P. Anyway, i am going to drop geography and spanish next year. Thank you for the link!

Thought you might be but it will still require work and distract you from other subjects. Take a look at these tables, think it's 3.1 that shows what sort of grades successful applicants get at A level http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/admissionsstatistics2012.pdf

Cambridge places a lot more reliance on AS grades than GSCE so you'd need to get excellent AS grades to have a reasonable chance.
Reply 17
Original post by Aylish
I think you would struggle to get in if you did apply. sorry if that sounds harsh.

If you think so... xD
Reply 18
Original post by parentlurker
Thought you might be but it will still require work and distract you from other subjects. Take a look at these tables, think it's 3.1 that shows what sort of grades successful applicants get at A level http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/admissionsstatistics2012.pdf

Cambridge places a lot more reliance on AS grades than GSCE so you'd need to get excellent AS grades to have a reasonable chance.

It's a good thing that they rely more on AS grades! :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by alow
Get 90%+ and you'll probably get a Cambridge interview. You could possibly get one at Oxford, but only if you do very well in the admissions test (if there is one for the subject you're applying for).

Hello, you mean 90% on the UMS thingy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending