The Student Room Group

Calling Professors by their first name? And visiting them at home?

Hi,

My Mum's a Professor and personal tutor at a university and all of her students refer to her by her given name. However, I've been thinking about it today and all of the professors and tutors I've met at the university I intend to enrol in in September and I know I don't know them as of yet but I'd certainly feel weird referring to them by their given names. Do any of you refer to your professors by their first names instead of Dr X?

Also is it common for students to have tutorials or meetings with their professors in their home? Ever since I can remember I've had students in my house in meetings and tutorials with my Mum and I was just wondering is this something to expect from university? As I've just presumed its the norm but apparently thats not the case?

Just curious..

Scroll to see replies

I'll move this to where you're more likely to get a reply :smile:
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
Hi,

My Mum's a Professor and personal tutor at a university and all of her students refer to her by her given name. However, I've been thinking about it today and all of the professors and tutors I've met at the university I intend to enrol in in September and I know I don't know them as of yet but I'd certainly feel weird referring to them by their given names. Do any of you refer to your professors by their first names instead of Dr X?

Also is it common for students to have tutorials or meetings with their professors in their home? Ever since I can remember I've had students in my house in meetings and tutorials with my Mum and I was just wondering is this something to expect from university? As I've just presumed its the norm but apparently thats not the case?

Just curious..

I think it depends on the professor. Usually they tell you if they don't mind you referring to them by first name.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Just curious..

TBH I usually avoid referring to them directly by name to avoid this problem!

I've never heard of professors hosting students in their house before, especially not at undergraduate level. It's usually more convenient for students to visit them on campus, and I think most academic staff want a separation between their work life and home life. Plus, especially for male staff, it seems like the perfect way to leave yourself open to all sorts of allegations (but then again, maybe I've sat through too many child protection training courses if I'm saying that!)

The normal state of affairs is that your teaching staff will say that their office hours are (say) Monday 2-3 and Thursday 10-12. You'll then be free to pop along and see them in that time, or book an appointment.
Sometimes our lecturers tell us to call them by their first names. Mostly it's because their surnames can be hard to pronounce or because they feel like being called (e.g.) "Dr Smith" is a bit too professional/not their style.

Also, if we wanted help we would go to their office; I've never heard of going to someones house. :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Hi,

Just curious..

We usually refer to ours by first name, it isn't school any more and they are normally pretty relaxed/laid back. And no its definitley not common, lecturers have offices for a reason!
Reply 6
You could simply call them by profession" Dr. X". That is it.Otherwise, they may tell you in advance of how to call them. Simplicity is easy for both.
Reply 7
All of my professors/tutors I address by their first name (and they all pretty much expect to be addressed by their first name). I'd find it quite annoying to be taught by someone, especially in a tutorial, who demands they're called Prof./Dr.
Reply 8
I don't remember calling any professor by their names, they usually say how they want to be called in first lecture.

And no it's not common for professor at all to allow people see you at home
Reply 9
First names.

I thought only in Peep Show professors/doctors invite students to their houses!

Also find it weird that you can be a Dr of Philosophy etc, surely Drs are only medical ones (life saving)
Reply 10
Original post by Ripper-Roo
First names.

I thought only in Peep Show professors/doctors invite students to their houses!

Also find it weird that you can be a Dr of Philosophy etc, surely Drs are only medical ones (life saving)

Erm, people with PhDs having the title "Dr." was around before medical doctors started calling themselves Dr.

From what I understand it's only by convention doctors are allowed to use "Dr." - although it's typical for a lot of doctors (surgeons in particular) to not bother with the title.
Hi,

I called anyone - PhD student, person with Dr title or a Professor title - whatever they introduced themselves to me as. That was often their first name, or quickly became their first name.

Just curious..

I never had a tutorial with anyone in their house, per se. It being Oxford, some tutors had a set of rooms in college which was effectively like a small flat, but there was a very strict policy about how they could only teach in the sitting room or the study. There was never a tutorial in a room with a bed, as a blanket policy. So it didn't really feel like you were having a tutorial in their house :nah:

Personally, I'd be seriously reluctant to go to someone's house for a tutorial :erm: Especially a male tutor's, as that wouldn't be culturally appropriate for me to do so :nah:
I call all the lecturers by their first name at my uni, having tutorials at home is weird though.. doubt its common.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Origami Bullets
TBH I usually avoid referring to them directly by name to avoid this problem!

I've never heard of professors hosting students in their house before, especially not at undergraduate level. It's usually more convenient for students to visit them on campus, and I think most academic staff want a separation between their work life and home life. Plus, especially for male staff, it seems like the perfect way to leave yourself open to all sorts of allegations (but then again, maybe I've sat through too many child protection training courses if I'm saying that!)

The normal state of affairs is that your teaching staff will say that their office hours are (say) Monday 2-3 and Thursday 10-12. You'll then be free to pop along and see them in that time, or book an appointment.

This is part of the feminist "agenda". Men need to be permanently defensive lest they be subject to that favourite tool of the nutty woman "the false allegation". Hence men no longer act decently or share with women at all.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I called anyone - PhD student, person with Dr title or a Professor title - whatever they introduced themselves to me as. That was often their first name, or quickly became their first name.

I never had a tutorial with anyone in their house, per se. It being Oxford, some tutors had a set of rooms in college which was effectively like a small flat, but there was a very strict policy about how they could only teach in the sitting room or the study. There was never a tutorial in a room with a bed, as a blanket policy. So it didn't really feel like you were having a tutorial in their house :nah:

Personally, I'd be seriously reluctant to go to someone's house for a tutorial :erm: Especially a male tutor's, as that wouldn't be culturally appropriate for me to do so :nah:

If cultural appropriateness is an issue to you, then you go to a university in say Pakistan or somewhere else ?
Original post by Old_Simon
If cultural appropriateness is an issue to you, then you go to a university in say Pakistan or somewhere else ?

:confused: Well, I'm not from Pakistan, so lack the language, culture, religions, etc. So I'm fine here, thanks very much :h:
Reply 16
This is part of the feminist "agenda". Men need to be permanently defensive lest they be subject to that favourite tool of the nutty woman "the false allegation". Hence men no longer act decently or share with women at all.

Alternatively, you could go back to the Society forum and stop inflicting your mindless drivel on people who really couldn't care less.
Reply 17
Every lecturer I have had, at uni and college, we have used their first name. Never have we gone to their house though, its a little odd to me.
I'm at a further education college right now and everyone calls our lecturers by their first name. It'd be weird if we had to call them a more formal name I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I've never called my professors/lecturers by anything but first name, they have always introduces their self by first name. And about visiting them at home, anything can happen with professors, some turns up to student parties/goes out drinking with students sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest